The Student Room Group

Higher Music 2012

Hi guys, just a wee thread to see how everyone's revision is going and what we're expecting in the paper.

Getting nervous for it now that im realising how little i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Revision is going ok. Does anyone know where you can get the audio files for the past papers? The SQA has the last 3 years papers but no sound files to accompany them which is completely pointless really.
Original post by duncaniw
Revision is going ok. Does anyone know where you can get the audio files for the past papers? The SQA has the last 3 years papers but no sound files to accompany them which is completely pointless really.

You can't get them unless you're getting them for a music department, unfortunately. :frown:

I may as well share this thread with you, because I'm not aware of any other AH people on here so it would be pointless to start a thread for us :redface:

I spent all this morning/early afternoon revising, look how cute my sonata form notes are:

tumblr_m3nhr3Kz8i1qd6fm5o1_1280.jpg

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by christielovesyou
You can't get them unless you're getting them for a music department, unfortunately. :frown:

I may as well share this thread with you, because I'm not aware of any other AH people on here so it would be pointless to start a thread for us :redface:

I spent all this morning/early afternoon revising, look how cute my sonata form notes are:

tumblr_m3nhr3Kz8i1qd6fm5o1_1280.jpg

Good luck everyone :biggrin:

They notes are fabby :biggrin:! I'm not on study leave yet so I have to spend my time in classes that have no relevance whatsoever to music :frown:!
Reply 4
Just done it - how did you find it? Also, if anyone knows the windband piece used in the gap question, please let me know - I loved it.
Didn't find it too bad...however the last question totally baffled me for some reason. My brain was somewhere else!
Reply 6
Original post by HBee18
Just done it - how did you find it? Also, if anyone knows the windband piece used in the gap question, please let me know - I loved it.

I found it quite easy to be honest. I had done the first piece on one of the revision websites 10 minutes before I went in so I was quite chuffed with that!
Reply 7
Original post by JackWiggins
I found it quite easy to be honest. I had done the first piece on one of the revision websites 10 minutes before I went in so I was quite chuffed with that!

Yeah I was pretty sure I'd done that one before.
Reply 8
Went okay. Absolutely bombed question 7 though! Reckon I got around 29/30 out of 40 :smile:
Compared my answers to my teacher's (who sits it with us so he can complain to the SQA about bits he thinks aren't fair...) and I got 29 out of 40-absolutely delighted to be around that mark!
Reply 10
Does anyone know the answers? What score is an A?
I did the paper again last night and gave it to my music teacher this morning to check.

Once I have the answers back I'll post them.
Reply 12
Original post by cameronyoung95
I did the paper again last night and gave it to my music teacher this morning to check.

Once I have the answers back I'll post them.

That would be great, thanks!:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Scrabble96
Does anyone know the answers? What score is an A?

Don't know the answers but no specific score is an A. They add it to what you got for your instruments and it gives you a score out of 100 (40 for listening, 60 for instruments) and 70/100 is usually an A. You could happily fail the listening if you have really good instruments and get a high B/A :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by JackWiggins
Don't know the answers but no specific score is an A. They add it to what you got for your instruments and it gives you a score out of 100 (40 for listening, 60 for instruments) and 70/100 is usually an A. You could happily fail the listening if you have really good instruments and get a high B/A :smile:

Thanks! How did you find the paper? I thought it was pretty good, hope I've not jinxed it!
Reply 15
Original post by Scrabble96
Thanks! How did you find the paper? I thought it was pretty good, hope I've not jinxed it!

I found it quite easy compared to others that I've done!
Heey, i was wondering what the answers were, i can remember some of my answers,(found the paper hard) and found the last question tricky:angry:! the first one i think i got basso continuo, trill and concerto grosso, then for the bubble i said acciaccatura, turn, chromatic scale, a french horn and perfect, the questions that asked about the song remedy, i put that the chord was a dominant 7th, there was another that asked you to tick 4 boxes, i put sitar, homophony, hemiola and harmonics( think its wrong), and was the fill in the gaps question by a windband? if you could post the actual answers it would be good! Think i have done well in my practical but feel stressed about the listening paper! Any who going to study chemistry and english :smile:
Original post by Emma_Lawrie
Heey, i was wondering what the answers were, i can remember some of my answers,(found the paper hard) and found the last question tricky:angry:! the first one i think i got basso continuo, trill and concerto grosso, then for the bubble i said acciaccatura, turn, chromatic scale, a french horn and perfect, the questions that asked about the song remedy, i put that the chord was a dominant 7th, there was another that asked you to tick 4 boxes, i put sitar, homophony, hemiola and harmonics( think its wrong), and was the fill in the gaps question by a windband? if you could post the actual answers it would be good! Think i have done well in my practical but feel stressed about the listening paper! Any who going to study chemistry and english :smile:

My music teacher showed me what he got after the exam (gotta assume he's right for most of them :tongue:):

for question 1 it was concertino, concerto grosso and trill

for question 2 it was acciaccatura, turn, major, french horn and perfect

can't remember much from the sheet music question.

one of the other questions had plainchant, lied, augmented (i think), polytonality (i thought it was atonal but the start of it counted as a different key or something), jazz-funk and irregular metres. i don't know if those answers are all from the same question, but chances are if you remember writing them then they're right.

the one after that was galliard and hemiola (can't remember the other two, think one of them was homophonic).

the windband one had a snare drum, bass drum and woodblock (though he wasn't too sure with those) and the trombones played a glissando. can't remember anything else from that.

finally, the dreaded grid question. harmonic minor was certainly in excerpt one and excerpt 2 was in a major key, but i can't remember the rest and my teacher wasn't too sure about his answers anyway.

again, these are just his answers so might not be right (and i may have remembered them incorrectly anyway :tongue:) but i hope this helps :smile:

Edit: I think the instrument in the winband was a piccolo! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Emma_Lawrie

Hi there! :smile: As far as I can remember, my teacher said the answers to the bubble question were: Acciaccatura, Turn, Major Scale, French Horn and Imperfect. Sorry, I can't remember much else but I hope that is of some help!
Original post by Lewis_Mac
Hi there! :smile: As far as I can remember, my teacher said the answers to the bubble question were: Acciaccatura, Turn, Major Scale, French Horn and Imperfect. Sorry, I can't remember much else but I hope that is of some help!

I put imperfect for that, but my music teacher said it was perfect...

hope your teacher is right! :tongue:

Quick Reply