The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Safiya122
Mine startes on 1st of June..

Yeh...
It's just that we were told 11th of May for ages and now its changed.
Still...I suppose its only an extra week...
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Be grateful you even get study leave! I don't! :frown:

:frown:not cool for you.
Original post by g.k.galloway
:frown:not cool for you.

Not at all :frown: I wish we did!
Reply 8283
Study leave now. Lots of nice pics taken but 3rd period I got kicked out of the parties in lessons all day and taken to childcare to finish coursework and think I'm off in school for an hour tomorrow
Reply 8284
Given up trying to get my A* in English Language iGCSE, I'll stick with my A :smile:
Original post by c3ntury
Given up trying to get my A* in English Language iGCSE, I'll stick with my A :smile:

I'm the opposite! I have settled for an A since Year 10, now I'm working my backside off for an A*! I'm sacrificing my English Literature GCSE though. I give up on that crap.

Anybody studying Of Mice and Men and Inspector Calls? If so, do you have any notes you could share? :biggrin:
Reply 8286
IGCSE CIE? What's wrong? Why not? You can get an A* IF YOU JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!
Reply 8287
I'm the opposite! I have settled for an A since Year 10, now I'm working my backside off for an A*! I'm sacrificing my English Literature GCSE though. I give up on that crap.

Anybody studying Of Mice and Men and Inspector Calls? If so, do you have any notes you could share? :biggrin:

Asking for notes for english Lit when you just said you had given up on it? :P
Reply 8288
Original post by LusterMX
IGCSE CIE? What's wrong? Why not? You can get an A* IF YOU JUST BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

I'm going to work on it tonight and I'll certainly have a good crack at it, but I won't be hugely bothered if it doesn't happen :smile: Do you have any

Do you have any tips? :smile:

And sadly I didn't study those novels, sorry.
Not at all :frown: I wish we did!

Atleast your exams finish in May!
Asking for notes for english Lit when you just said you had given up on it? :P

I meant that I've given up trying to get a high grade in it :smile: maybe if I saw somebody's notes, it'd motivate me a little! :biggrin:
Original post by c3ntury

I've got the exam tomorrow...*gulp*
on 48/50 on coursework though which is a good base

are you taking it tommoz? and if so does anyone know if cie igcse's are allowed to be spoken about straight after??
Reply 8292
Original post by g.k.galloway
I've got the exam tomorrow...*gulp*
on 48/50 on coursework though which is a good base

are you taking it tommoz? and if so does anyone know if cie igcse's are allowed to be spoken about straight after??

I've got mine tomorrow as well! But I've got 2 exams to make up for no coursework.

What times your exam?
Reply 8293
Original post by c3ntury
I'm going to work on it tonight and I'll certainly have a good crack at it, but I won't be hugely bothered if it doesn't happen :smile: Do you have any

Yup, I have the English Language IGCSE exam tomorrow as well. Extended core 2 thingy, right? I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm not particularly good at english myself but after discovering that (in the first question of the paper) 15 marks are awarded for simply referencing and only 5 are awarded for the quality of your writing which shouldn't be too hard to present. The same goes for question 3 of the paper (Summery writing). Question 2 is a normal analytical question as you would do in a lit exam.
Of course, I could be wrong and you might be doing a completely different exam :biggrin:
Original post by GreenLantern1
Atleast your exams finish in May!

Too right! Brilliant that! Get started on A-Levels straight away!

Original post by c3ntury

No worries :smile: Which exam board are you with?

EDIT: Sorry, just saw what exam board you are with above!

I'm not too great at giving English advice im afraid :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8295
I meant that I've given up trying to get a high grade in it :smile: maybe if I saw somebody's notes, it'd motivate me a little! :biggrin:

I see. Well, I don't do AQA, but in searching for notes for my prose fiction texts, I did come across the Bitesize having notes for Of Mice and Men and Inspector calls. I'm not sure how useful those would be though
Reply 8296
Yup, I have the English Language IGCSE exam tomorrow as well. Extended core 2 thingy, right? I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm not particularly good at english myself but after discovering that (in the first question of the paper) 15 marks are awarded for simply referencing and only 5 are awarded for the quality of your writing which shouldn't be too hard to present. The same goes for question 3 of the paper (Summery writing). Question 2 is a normal analytical question as you would do in a lit exam.
Of course, I could be wrong and you might be doing a completely different exam :biggrin:

I've got that, 3 questions, directed writing task, analytical question and then summary. Are 15 marks simply for referencing on the extended (aka. higher) paper on that first question?! :redface:

I've memorised -
Different formats (letter, magazine / newspaper, report, diary, speeches, interviews / dialogue).
Things to include whilst writing (semi colons, colons, range of sentence structures for emphasis and detail).
Persuasive and argumentative techniques.

Anything you reckon I still need to cover? :smile:
Reply 8297
Original post by c3ntury
I've got that, 3 questions, directed writing task, analytical question and then summary. Are 15 marks simply for referencing on the extended (aka. higher) paper on that first question?! :redface:

I've memorised -
Different formats (letter, magazine / newspaper, report, diary, speeches, interviews / dialogue).
Things to include whilst writing (semi colons, colons, range of sentence structures for emphasis and detail).
Persuasive and argumentative techniques.

Anything you reckon I still need to cover? :smile:

No, you've pretty much nailed it everything. Telling from what you've memorised, I see no reason why you shouldn't get an A* :biggrin:
Just make sure your referencing is of high quality writing (strong structure).
Hey everyone! :biggrin: Had my last ever RE, economics and computing lessons today :biggrin:
Man, I really can't be bothered for my French and Spanish exams any more. I feel like I could just do it already and be fine but then there's the other side of me that is nagging me to do some more vocab revision/past papers whereas the other side tells me to revise for other subjects. Revision has just killed all the passion I had for these languages. :/

Latest