The Student Room Group

Beta Blockers and alcohol?

so i just got prescribed a beta blocker called propanolol by my GP for anxiety and i was wondering if its safe to drink with it or will i keel over backwards after the first pint?
Also im still a bit shady as to what exactly they do exept for lower your heart rate or something ... so if anyone can please expand [GP wasnt very informative :rolleyes:] be much appreciated!
Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
bumpity bump bump
I've drunk on it with no bad effects. But you should probably take it slow (as with all new medications).
What does the information sheet say with the medicine?
Original post by cl_steele
so i just got prescribed a beta blocker called propanolol by my GP for anxiety and i was wondering if its safe to drink with it or will i keel over backwards after the first pint?
Also im still a bit shady as to what exactly they do exept for lower your heart rate or something ... so if anyone can please expand [GP wasnt very informative :rolleyes:] be much appreciated!
Cheers :smile:

It would be helpful if you said why you were prescribed them and what dose - but generally beta blockers block your adrenaline and its effect. They are used to lower blood pressure, treat anxiety and as you said lower heart rate. They can also be used for migraines.

You should avoid drinking too much alcohol because alcohol causes your blood vessels to dilate as does a beta blocker. So - yes you could keel over
Reply 5
Read the information sheet that came in the packet. :smile:
I'm on Propranolol and I've never had bad effects when I was drinking.
Theyre fine in moderation. I woudn't recommend binging while you're on them though.

Side-tracking a bit, when you saw your GP did he/she just prescribe medication, or did he/she suggest any counselling for you? More often than not you won't even need your propanolol, just some reassurance and a chat with a professional!
Reply 8
Original post by graemematt
Theyre fine in moderation. I woudn't recommend binging while you're on them though.

Side-tracking a bit, when you saw your GP did he/she just prescribe medication, or did he/she suggest any counselling for you? More often than not you won't even need your propanolol, just some reassurance and a chat with a professional!

well at first he said he was going to give me an ECG and a blood test [seems a bit extreme to me but hey ho] and i asked if he could do anything a bit more immediate as i kind of wanted something to calm me especially with exams coming up and he said try these and when the other tests are done he'll see whats best ... considering i only went to him saying i felt nauseas i must say hes being very thorough :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest