The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by voldejoe
It just goes to show that money does not equal a good life.

It doesn't really have any bearing on how good or bad the quality of his life was.

People on top of the world or the bottom of the barrel can take heroine and overdoe. The only thing it does show is that it can happen to anyone, not that their life was good or bad.
Original post by Powersymphonia
Drugs can affect anyone, anywhere. This is why the law needs to toughen up on drug dealers.

This. Not let it go like some morons think.
Original post by badcheesecrispy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141983/Privately-educated-teenager-overdosed-anti-depressants-heroin-alcohol-probably-belonged-family-coroner-rules.html

A troubled teenager died after binging on a lethal cocktail of heroin, anti-depressants and alcohol which probably belonged to members of his family, a coroner ruled.
Drew Quinlan, 13, was found face down on a sofa with froth coming from his mouth at his grandfather's £1million house in Richmond when attempts were made to wake him for school.
The inquest heard his mother, father, uncle and aunt were all heroin users and at some stage had used the anti-depressant.

Isnt it a common view on TSR that only 'lower class' people have this happen to them?

Regarding the bit in bold, how? More money >> more to waste >> more chance drugs will enter the fold.

What would happen with a 'lower class' person, as you so eloquently phrased it, is that they'd turn to theft to have to buy the heroin to feed the habit. Nowhere here does it say anyone was turning to crime to feed their addiction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
More rich kids than you might think do drugs. They need escapism from their lives too.

<3 x
Reply 24
Original post by Einheri
>Killing yourself before spending your millions on call-girls and other fun stuff.

Lolwut!?

Nothing beats Heroin:biggrin:
Original post by Felchingman
Drug dealers are there because there is demand. I'm sure this kid was feeling sad about his parents not noticing him, as it often the case with rich kids (that are single children), so he decided to take drugs to make his parents aware of him.

There's this kid in my school, his father is a billionaire, yet he's a loner, has nasty grades and tries to be interesting by doing silly things (insulting the teacher, ruin the toilets, etc.)

There are fewer than 1300 billionaires in the world. Their average age is 66 and more than half of them are in America, China, and Russia. Do you have any idea how unlikely that is? What the hell type of school do you go to? :eek:
Reply 26
Original post by Tabris
It doesn't really have any bearing on how good or bad the quality of his life was.

People on top of the world or the bottom of the barrel can take heroine and overdoe. The only thing it does show is that it can happen to anyone, not that their life was good or bad.

The point I was trying to get at is that many associate having money with having a good life. But something has to be wrong for someone to turn to drugs. True, he was young and there's a chance it wasn't intentional, but if it's true that members of his family took it, he new its effects and obviously took it for a reason.
his parents were clearly nutters :/ feel sorry for the guy.
Same here. I know of quite a few people who live in fairly affluent areas in Cheshire and regularly consume cocaine/weed.
Reply 29
Original post by voldejoe
The point I was trying to get at is that many associate having money with having a good life. But something has to be wrong for someone to turn to drugs. True, he was young and there's a chance it wasn't intentional, but if it's true that members of his family took it, he new its effects and obviously took it for a reason.

Fair.
Reply 30
Original post by Graceyyyyyyy
Same here. I know of quite a few people who live in fairly affluent areas in Cheshire and regularly consume cocaine/weed.

There were indeed multiple opportunities for drug abuse at our (private) school in Cheshire. Luckily most of us didn't end up on the h-lane, although I know one or two regularly powdered people who were in my year.

Looking at this story, I wonder if his "millionaire" family are in fact drug dealers? They certainly sound pretty profoundly disfunctional, but what a sad tale that a 13-yr old boy's family were all addicts. Does make you wonder why this boy wasn't in care but then presumably there are loads in this situation.
Reply 31
how does a family of heroin addicts become millionaires??
Reply 32
Original post by ugk4life
how does a family of heroin addicts become millionaires??

Some people who inherit money are addicts. The Tetra Pak billionaire heir Hans Rausing and his wife were both addicts for example. Stacks of famous rich people have died of overdoses or long-term addiction. It's a fairly common problem amongst the very rich, partly presumably because they can simply afford lots of drugs, partly (it is said) through the boredom of their idle lives and partly (more credibly) because it is actually quite hard being born very rich and their struggles to relate to society come out that way.
Original post by AtomSmasher
There are fewer than 1300 billionaires in the world. Their average age is 66 and more than half of them are in America, China, and Russia. Do you have any idea how unlikely that is? What the hell type of school do you go to? :eek:

Where do you think sons of billionaire go to school? They have to go somewhere right? And FYI the kid is russian, and I'm in London, it can't be THAT unlikely.
Reply 34
I go to a very upper class private boarding school and there is more cocaine here than a Columbian customs office. So no, it certainly is not just the lower classes who become addicted. The only difference is that wealthier users tend to buy purer drugs, which are of course still as damaging, but don't generally contain the same toxics.
All this proves is that being millionaires doesn't make you the best of parents.
I don't understand why they comment on members of the family taking citalopram.
Reply 37
Original post by apolocreed
Sorry, the title is very misleading, he isn't actually a millionaire, his family are...?

This :mad:
Reply 38
Original post by Einheri
>Killing yourself before spending your millions on call-girls and other fun stuff.

Lolwut!?

You wouldn't even need call girls if you have millions :smile:
Reply 39
Dude

"A year earlier he had discovered that the girl he thought was his sister and who was battling a heroin addiction was in fact his mother.
In the months before Drew’s death his grandmother Vanessa had died after a long fight with motor neurone disease.
At the time Drew died his biological mother was in rehab and he was spending time with his biological father and his aunt."

Rough life