The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caffieine_addict
see this is where its horrible being a self supporting student.

I have been supporting myself with limited success for the last 7 years (since 16) and was struggling to make ends meet before i started uni. Now in my second year i have had to fight to get anything because apparently living within my means and being poor means actually i was unable to support myself and must have been supported by my family.

I ended up stuck last summer as i had to move to an unfurnished place and buy furniture last year mid way through term. i struggled through summer living mostly on the charity of friends and taking unpaid festival work through the summer so i got fed. Going back to uni i tried for the hardship fund but was told as i receive full loans and grants and that they assume we (students) are supported by family and or have a job before they will consider an application i would be unable to receive help. despite the fact that i had to pay 2 months of back owed rent/bills in the first week back. I was told that as this happened in the summer this was not their look out as loans etc are only for term time.

So with the uni telling us that loans are only for academic year and the government telling us that they are to cover an calender year where exactly do we fall and has any one got any suggestions to help me, and the others like me make ends meet.

I already work freelance jobs as well as doing my (Graphic design) coursework averaging out to a 80 to 90 hour working week. (no i don't sleep much and I rarely go out.)

Citizens Advice Bureau, they'd be your best bet for finding out about any help you could be entitled to.
On my GAP year I was looking for full time employment and was given Job seekers allowance.
@gateshipone: thanks.... completely forgot about them. :biggrin:
Reply 63
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10034876

Jobseeker's Allowance

Full-time students

If you’re studying full time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday if:

you're a lone parent

you have a partner who is also a full-time student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person, and

you’re available for and actively seeking work

I was about to say it says you can claim.. Sadly I just noticed the "and" at point no.2.. so you have to have a child & be looking for work? Not just "available and actively seeking work" ?
Original post by Caffieine_addict
see this is where its horrible being a self supporting student.

I have been supporting myself with limited success for the last 7 years (since 16) and was struggling to make ends meet before i started uni. Now in my second year i have had to fight to get anything because apparently living within my means and being poor means actually i was unable to support myself and must have been supported by my family.

I ended up stuck last summer as i had to move to an unfurnished place and buy furniture last year mid way through term. i struggled through summer living mostly on the charity of friends and taking unpaid festival work through the summer so i got fed. Going back to uni i tried for the hardship fund but was told as i receive full loans and grants and that they assume we (students) are supported by family and or have a job before they will consider an application i would be unable to receive help. despite the fact that i had to pay 2 months of back owed rent/bills in the first week back. I was told that as this happened in the summer this was not their look out as loans etc are only for term time.

So with the uni telling us that loans are only for academic year and the government telling us that they are to cover an calender year where exactly do we fall and has any one got any suggestions to help me, and the others like me make ends meet.

I already work freelance jobs as well as doing my (Graphic design) coursework averaging out to a 80 to 90 hour working week. (no i don't sleep much and I rarely go out.)

Your uni are clearly wrong. Your loans are predicated on funding you through the summer.
If I my loan is supposed to cover me over the summer period why does the payments finish on the 4th May and wont receive another monthly instalment until September.

got a rejection meeting with Jobseekers on Friday, if indeed i get nothing then I'll be homeless by the end of the month, so much for encouraging further education!
Original post by caledonian73
If I my loan is supposed to cover me over the summer period why does the payments finish on the 4th May and wont receive another monthly instalment until September.

got a rejection meeting with Jobseekers on Friday, if indeed i get nothing then I'll be homeless by the end of the month, so much for encouraging further education!

The final instalment of the loan is generally a bit higher.
Reply 67

As a continuing student you will not get JSA over the summer months, there's no ifs about it...

Shani hit the nail on the head. There's no if's about it. As for your last point, JSA is for supporting you while you're seeking full time employment, not to keep you going over the summer or encouraging further education. If I were you I'd ramp up my efforts to find a temp job or look into a bank loan/overdraft to keep you going temporarily.
You can in the months between school and university (you've left one institution, but not started at another), but you can't if it's a university summer holiday.
The tone of your post makes you sound :actually sack that I can't even be bothered with it.
However, you have provided no relevant information in reply to the question asked...a question which given what we are paying for our education is both pertinent and deserving of an answer not a political stance masquerading, very poorly as anything other.
No I am not still at university as It is now closed shut and tutorless for three months and whilst I am looking for employment, may like many others find myself unable to find a position in this time.Given that I have paid into the tax system for the last 35 years of my working life and now meet all the elligable criteria required for making an application for J.S A. I don't feel it is an unreasonable question for me to ask. The availability of said option may also make the difference between loosing my accomodation over this period and visiting food banks in order to meet my recommended daily calorie intake, it certainly is not an issue of supplementary
Please check thread dates before posting. Thanks.

Latest