The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on tattoos?

this basically sums up my view:
they are ugly. No. No matter how beautiful the design is, they are still horrible. I don't care if you have imprinted your ex's name on your arm, it is not attractive. I cannot read Chinese so please do not show of your neck to promote 'peace'. When you get older your skin will become saggy and the tattoo will look even more horrible that it initially did. Cheryl Cole's tattoo is ugly, so is Cher's. So is any other tattoo I have ever seen.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I guess everyone agrees :biggrin:
Reply 2
you havent said why hardly at all

i think some are attractive
i like the history behind them
and i like when people have meaning/stories attached to them

but i really think it depends on the person and the tattoo and the placing
Each to their own. Someone having chinese letters on their neck or whatever is up to them.

But put it this way. When I'm old I'll be wrinkly but I'll still have some amazing colourful ink. You'll just be a wrinkly old person.
Reply 4
Hmmmm covered in head to toe, full sleeves neck chest back legs etc... that is kinda cool but the novelty would ware off quickly.
I think just nice artistic designs are very nice, the names and quotes etc aren't that good in my opinion

Getting a nice steam punk design tattoo down my back :biggrin:
Reply 5
Each to their own - but for someone who works in a corporate environment they are completely unsuitable and unprofessional (if they are on show that is).
Very cheap.

The expression 'don't put a bumper sticker on an Bentley' springs to mind.
Original post by et cetera
Each to their own - but for someone who works in a corporate environment they are completely unsuitable and unprofessional (if they are on show that is).

They are the archetypical exemplification of terrible judgment.
I'm too much of a wimp to get a tattoo, and a lot of them I think look tacky. I think its stupid when people get boyfriend/girlfriend's names- its just stupid. Equally, when people just decide to get a random picture that has absolutely no meaning or emotional ties at all.

I do like small tattoos though, small names/text on the wrists, inside of the fingers, or on the ankle/back are okay, but anything else looks so bad to me. I remember when my friend got a coloured tattoo of a butterfly on the middle of her upper arm, and it just looked awful. Like on of those transfers you got free in a kids magazine when you were little.

Things like these are lovely:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=tiny+tattoo&um=1&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=hD5IuWYKjm0l4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/small%2Btattoos&docid=yRfxT0uDy7q5YM&imgurl=http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m303c7pFBp1rqm5ako4_500.jpg&w=497&h=332&ei=fYOrT-i2MMnJ0QXC_MD7Aw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=702&vpy=137&dur=438&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=193&ty=118&sig=112436875171354151631&page=1&tbnh=114&tbnw=153&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:80
Reply 9
If done well, they can look amazing. I see some bloody awful ones, but it's the person's own skin and therefore their choice.
Some ink is pure art and I have no problem with that.

If it has a special meaning for you, fine. I have no problem with that.

If it looks dreadful I may snigger inside but it's not my body, it's yours.

I'll eventually get around to getting a smallish tattoo on the side of my torso as I wanted it hidden, personal and pretty.

When I'm old and saggy a wrinkly tattoo isn't going to make much difference- I would have enjoyed a many few years of a well loved tattoo! Besides I'm not likely to have it on show anyway by then!
Tattoos >>>>>>

Will prob be getting a 3/4 sleeve when I get the money together
I don't personally like them, but I see no problem with other people getting them. I would certainly never look down on someone for having a tattoo because it is their body, so it is more important that they like it than me. The only circumstances I might roll my eyes a bit would be when someone gets something like the name of a new partner tattooed on them - purely because of the naivety it shows to assume that your new relationship will not be outlasted by the tattoo.
I don't like tattoos at all. If someone has a tattoo, or if I find out that someone has a tattoo, my impression of them goes down dramatically.
Reply 14
Personally, really not a fan. I would never get one, partly because I don't like the look of them and partly because I just don't understand why you would willingly inflict pain on yourself! Also they're just so permanent! What if you get one then decide you don't like it!? Also, so many seem to go wrong - I know one girl who got a tattoo of some lyrics on her ribs, but they're all wonky, and it looks awful!
Obviously I understand that some people like them, and think its fine if they want to get one, but I just don't find them attractive (although actually the last 2 people I dated both had tattoos (albeit small ones), so I suppose that means that I can't be too bothered about them!).
I believe a tattoo should have meaning to the beholder, and a great tattoo is one that is loved by the beholder in spite of other's criticism.
Slag tags and tribal sleeves aren't really in this category for me.
I am going to be getting my first tattoo in a few weeks, and it means a lot to me. I have had friends look at the design and sneer at it because they think it is ugly, but it holds a lot of meaning to me and I personally can't wait to have it immortalised on my body. It isn't a picture, just an altered excerpt from one of my favourite books. I will love it forever and have patiently waited years with the design in my head, and will be getting it done temporarily as a trial run to make sure I still love it.

I completely understand that some people consider a tattoo to be a blemish upon the human canvas - I really do. It's just for me, a tattoo should be an extension of one's passion, love, creativity or hobby. No matter how subjectively ugly, if the person who holds it finds it beautiful, then it's right for them.
I don't have a problem with them, not sure I'd get one myself but they can look good on others.
Reply 17
Original post by littlechinagirl
Each to their own. Someone having chinese letters on their neck or whatever is up to them.

But put it this way. When I'm old I'll be wrinkly but I'll still have some amazing colourful ink. You'll just be a wrinkly old person.

This made me chuckle :tongue:

I have a few and I like them, but each to their own as you say.
Some make me cringe, I have a friend who's Dad has tattoos all over his face, and it looks horrendous. But equally there are some absolutely beautiful ones. I don't doubt that a lot of them will be regretted later on in life, but we all do things in our early life that we think were silly later on, doesn't stop us.

The one thing that shocks me is the number of threads on here I see with "someone pick me a tattoo". For me, if I was ever going to get one, it would have to be something that was personal and important to me. If it was going to be on my body for the rest of my life I'd much rather pick it for myself rather than have it chosen by a poll on an internet forum.

TL;DR Each to their own.
Reply 19
Original post by swaggiee
this basically sums up my view:
they are ugly. No. No matter how beautiful the design is, they are still horrible. I don't care if you have imprinted your ex's name on your arm, it is not attractive. I cannot read Chinese so please do not show of your neck to promote 'peace'. When you get older your skin will become saggy and the tattoo will look even more horrible that it initially did. Cheryl Cole's tattoo is ugly, so is Cher's. So is any other tattoo I have ever seen.

I love my tattoos :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest