The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doughnut92

- With the advantage card, you had to have the right amount of points on the card to pay for something with the points so you can't part pay. Customers seem to think that I chose to put this rule in place so decide to take it out on me about how ridiculous it is. RLY?

I had this problem with a woman when i worked at Boots. She didn't believe me about needing the amount of points the item costs. She then spoke to my department manager, the store manager, and customer services, who all said the same thing. She didn't believe any of us and thought we were all 'in on it' just to ruin her day :s-smilie:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Also, why should the customer have to say 'I really need it'. I'd say a lot of people are more proud than to admit to a stranger in a store that they really need that 1p, but surely they can insist on being given the correct change, otherwise they are overpaying for goods and who wants to do that?

We don't live in a perfect world. Sometimes cashiers, and even stores, run out of change. Also, generally when customers are in a situation that 1p would make a difference to them, it is on a temporary basis - i.e they are waiting for their next payday. Therefore, they might be 1p down out of, say, 11p change they're owed. That isn't enough to buy anything else with, in this day and age. As I said, everyone is entitled to correct change, and I'd hope that any shop that's unable to supply correct change, they would work with the customer to come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement.

As an alternative, if that 1p is all the person needs to buy their next grocery shop, they could always go on Deal or No Deal - even if that goes ***s up they'll still walk away with 1p :biggrin:
Going by the number of pages in this thread, I think it's safe to assume that customers are, on the whole, pretty damn annoying!
Original post by steeler4life
I had this problem with a woman when i worked at Boots. She didn't believe me about needing the amount of points the item costs. She then spoke to my department manager, the store manager, and customer services, who all said the same thing. She didn't believe any of us and thought we were all 'in on it' just to ruin her day :s-smilie:

YES why do they find it so hard to believe?! Did she not pull the old 'but X store let me do it last week...' 'I used to be able to do it'...No you didn't.
YES why do they find it so hard to believe?! Did she not pull the old 'but X store let me do it last week...' 'I used to be able to do it'...No you didn't.

No she didn't try anything like that, luckily.

Was kind of funny. She spent about 40 minutes in store, talked to 4 different people about it, and still didn't believe any of us!
Today a woman dumped 3 baskets full of clothes on my till, then decided to constantly check her watch and tut as I worked through it as fast as I could. If youre in a rush why would you buy so much?!
I did the 1p test on a customer today... Purposely short changed him 1p from a winning bet... he didn't notice despite being very accurate with his money :cool: I did sneak the penny into his next slip though lol
i once had a very chavvy customer shout at me across the store to go and serve her, (i dont deal well with rudeness) so on pretending i was deaf, she was ******* about me very loudly to her daughter how i was so unhelpful.

When they came to the till I decided to be childish and served them but didnt use my please and thank you's :tongue: so they proceeded to tell me i was the rudest person ever, so i smiled (wasnt letting 2 chavs win!!) and then the girl was threatening to smash my face in, they asked for the manager, who came down and then the 2 women started verbally abusing us both, until we had to call security!

Fun times!
Oh god, this thread just reminded me of a customer I had at the weekend :grumble:

Where I work, we sell those little batteries for car key fobs. We're not allowed to open the fob for customers, because if we break anything in the process it'll just be a massive hassle to sort out, and because with some you only have a certain amount of time to change the battery before the coding is lost. Anyhoo, despite me explaining this to the guy and say it'd be way better to look in his handbook first, he demanded a screwdriver and some tools he could use to try and prise it open. After about 10 minutes of making a total mess of the casing he finally got it open, I watched him take the batteries out and quickly passed him the ones he needed. AND THEN despite me seeing how they came out, he wouldn't listen to me when I told him how to put them back in :colonhash: Oh yeah, good move, mate.

And then proceeded to shout abuse at me and ask to speak to ''one of the lads.''

About 15 minutes later he was still faffing about with it, couldn't get the new batteries to work and went through three different packets because he thought they were all duds. Then he left in a huff, leaving little bits of metal all over the desk which I can only presume was from inside the fob.

If only he'd listened to me to start with :rolleyes:
"... Thank you for bringing that to our attention, I'll make sure that this break of protocol at X store is investigated and the people who did it are appropriately disciplined."
Original post by fairysdad
"... Thank you for bringing that to our attention, I'll make sure that this break of protocol at X store is investigated and the people who did it are appropriately disciplined."

lmao!! amazing comeback! :tongue:
Reply 5071
I do love it when customers say things along the line of "Oh, I was told I could bring it back any time" or "your colleague said I didn't need a receipt."

...Yeah... :rolleyes:
Reply 5072
Work in McDonalds and once had a customer order a large Big Mac meal and a doughnut and she then asked how many calories are in the doughnut and decided it was too unhealthy.

Wtf?

Also some guy who told the cashier to go into the kitchen and kick f**k out of everyone because he had to wait on his meal as there were no Quarters ready..

And people who pay in loads of 1's, 2's and 5's then complain as you spend a while counting them up
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5073
Original post by Sami'
Work in McDonalds and once had a customer order a large Big Mac meal and a doughnut and she then asked how many calories are in the doughnut and decided it was too unhealthy.

Wtf?

Also some guy who told the cashier to go into the kitchen and kick f**k out of everyone because he had to wait on his meal as there were no Quarters ready..

And people who pay in loads of 1's, 2's and 5's then complain as you spend a while counting them up

This is the same as when people make fun of people who order a diet drink in McDonalds, just because you're eating something unhealthy doesn't mean you have to go all out and eat as many calories as possible. It's probably a smart decision not have the doughnut if she's already having a big mac meal :smile:
Reply 5074
Customer: Can I get size 10 in this.
*Me goes to check in the stock room*
Me: Sorry we've only got size 8 left.
Customer: Can you get me that, I want to see if it fits.

I think to myself 'If you're a size 10 how the **** is size 8 gonna fit you'

EDIT: shoe size :|
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5075
Original post by EhsanA

The size of woman's clothes fluctuate from shop to shop. A size 10 woman can be a size 8 somewhere and a size 12 somewhere else etc.
Original post by EhsanA

Womens clothing is really awkward, I can be a size 8 in one shop and a size 12 in the one next door, you never really know :dontknow:
Original post by EhsanA

Bit like occasionally for men. In some shops I'm a small and in others a medium. There doesn't seem to be one universal size system.
I got bad karma today...

following from the 1p argument recently hitting this thread I was short changed 1p by two shops in the space of 10 minutes :frown: That penny would have came in handy :frown:
Reply 5079
My post what about shoe size.