The Student Room Group

You know you're a student when...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by BKS
Asda's smart price are about 65p a kg. Where do you get them for less than 50p?

Beans were something like £2.50 for 2kg- I think that's around 4.8kg cooked. Herbs almost cost nothing because I buy by the kg and it goes a long way- like I got a kg of chilli for £2. You don't really need much tomato puree because you add a lot of water. I think two or three tubes did my full bag of beans and they were less than 50p each. So something like £4 for 4.8kg but that's not counting weight of water which I didn't measure exactly but it was at least 2l- say 100ml per 200g. So another 2.4kg so £4 for 7.2kg so 55p/kg. Maths was never my talent so you might want to check that.

10p per kg is about £15 a year. But actually they are much nicer than smart price so I wouldn't mind if they costed more.

Wow times must be hard!

Just a thought, maybe you should make your own beer and then sell it to flatmates? You would make a lot more than you're saving with beans, then you could get some heinz beans, I know, I know it sounds too good to be true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1641
Original post by BKS
Asda's smart price are about 65p a kg. Where do you get them for less than 50p?

Beans were something like £2.50 for 2kg- I think that's around 4.8kg cooked. Herbs almost cost nothing because I buy by the kg and it goes a long way- like I got a kg of chilli for £2. You don't really need much tomato puree because you add a lot of water. I think two or three tubes did my full bag of beans and they were less than 50p each. So something like £4 for 4.8kg but that's not counting weight of water which I didn't measure exactly but it was at least 2l- say 100ml per 200g. So another 2.4kg so £4 for 7.2kg so 55p/kg. Maths was never my talent so you might want to check that.

10p per kg is about £15 a year. But actually they are much nicer than smart price so I wouldn't mind if they costed more.

Tesco value are just over 50p a kilo and you can get them cheaper then that at, for example, Netto.

Fair enough they taste better with fresh ingredients but you are saving much.
Reply 1642
When you've played chicken with the sea and got drenched (for those who go to a uni on the coast).
Reply 1643
Surviving on 3 hours sleep becomes essential.
Reply 1644
Original post by Jake22
Tesco value are just over 50p a kilo and you can get them cheaper then that at, for example, Netto.

You know you're a student when you are discussing beans on the internet. Enough said.
Reply 1645
Original post by zKlown
Not ventured down there recently, Haworth FTW

Haworth food :coma:
Original post by bill_gates
you ask for a student discount at pound land.

looooooool :colone:
Reply 1647
You're no longer disgusted at the state of the houses on How Clean is Your House?
Reply 1648
Original post by Jake22

I've never seen a Netto in my life. Dunno where you are but here value beans are like 28p a 420g can which is still like 65p a kg
Original post by BKS
I've never seen a Netto in my life. Dunno where you are but here value beans are like 28p a 420g can which is still like 65p a kg

Didn't ASDA buy Netto out? I have to say, Netto did have amazingly cheap food :sexface: (esp beans!!)
Reply 1650
When you crawl in at 4am when you've got an exam at 9:30.
Reply 1651
Original post by Doctor.
Didn't ASDA buy Netto out? I have to say, Netto did have amazingly cheap food :sexface: (esp beans!!)

Wiki says yes. It also says they never had any in Scotland which will be why I've never seen one even when they did exist
7 hours a week of lectures feels a bit much.
You find it a real challenge to get up for 9 AM's and you wonder how you managed to do it everyday for high school.
Reply 1654
When you don't set an alarm because you know the fire drill will wake you up anyway....
Original post by Cognition
you arrive late to lectures because you couldn't find your keys...

And sometimes, once you find your keys or your wallet, you decide it's too late to go to lecture anyway and the powerpoint slides'll do just fine.
Not having the energy/ being awake enough to sort your hair out in the morning, so you go out looking like a member of an 80s hair band!
Original post by -aimz
When you don't set an alarm because you know the fire drill will wake you up anyway....

i dont suppose you live in randall lines do you? 58 fire alarms since september!
Reply 1658
Original post by jendra9311
i dont suppose you live in randall lines do you? 58 fire alarms since september!

Noo I'm in Cardiff uni halls. Although we've probably had the same amount of fire alarms or more!
Original post by -aimz
Noo I'm in Cardiff uni halls. Although we've probably had the same amount of fire alarms or more!

59 now ¬¬ im at wolverhampton...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending