The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
To the people saying that drugs can affect anyone: yes, that is true, but the poorer you are (and thus the more deprived an area in which you live), the more likely you are to do things like this.

Original post by SEHughes
Remember prohibition?

No, I was born in 1989. Do you remember it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by badcheesecrispy

Isnt it a common view on TSR that only 'lower class' people have this happen to them?

Strawman alert!
edit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Note that most houses in Richmond are worth upwards of a million, so depending on what the exact facts are, the "millionaire" thing might just be a bit of typical Daily Mail hype.
Original post by zara55
Note that most houses in Richmond are worth upwards of a million, so depending on what the exact facts are, the "millionaire" thing might just be a bit of typical Daily Mail hype.

I'TS A STORY IN THE DAILY MAIL!

it can't be trusted in any way whatsoever. why even anybody here would link to a daily mail article I have no idea. they have a track record of almost compulsively manipulating and lying in the extreme. Who get's their information there ffs?????????
Reply 45
Original post by Mister Dead
I'TS A STORY IN THE DAILY MAIL!

it can't be trusted in any way whatsoever. why even anybody here would link to a daily mail article I have no idea. they have a track record of almost compulsively manipulating and lying in the extreme. Who get's their information there ffs?????????

Well it's also in the Telegraph but they use the rather more considered phrase "a privately-educated 13-year old boy" rather than the "millionaire" thing. There is more info in their article than in the Mail one. He was clearly a troubled boy from a troubled family. Quite a sad story really.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9256330/Boy-13-dies-from-alcohol-and-drug-overdose.html

and that's exactly what it is, a story. That Torygraph article isn't much better. Most of the papers, even some of the broadsheets now, appear to have little more substance to them than those women's magazines that have headlines like 'I gave birth to a ghost' and 'I went fishing and caught...CANCER'
Original post by M4LLY
A former best friend of mine has now broken off from our group, now every weekend he goes out clubbing on E. The sad part is that his family is really well off. Just goes to show that it can happen to anyone, anywhere.
Maybe, but ecstasy is no more harmful than alcohol tbh. (Not that I've tried it, but that's what the studies show.)
Original post by nish81
I think you need to toughen up on the demand-side not the supply-side. You toughen up on supply, and the price will just rise until someone else steps in to claim the high profits. Wreck demand and the whole market collapses

I agree with this, but sadly it's almost impossible to deal with the demand.
Reply 49
Original post by Mister Dead
and that's exactly what it is, a story. That Torygraph article isn't much better. Most of the papers, even some of the broadsheets now, appear to have little more substance to them than those women's magazines that have headlines like 'I gave birth to a ghost' and 'I went fishing and caught...CANCER'

Well, yes, it's a "story" but it is also news - it's unusual for a 13-yr old boy from a privileged background to die in such circumstances. I don't personally think the newspapers are wrong to cover it, just that the DM coverage, is, as usual, rather loaded with ott phrasing.
Original post by jismith1989
Maybe, but ecstasy is no more harmful than alcohol tbh. (Not that I've tried it, but that's what the studies show.)

Actually what studies show is that like twenty thousand (arbitrary number just to demonstrate gulf in stats) times the amount of people die with 'alcohol' as causal factor. Of course we don't know the cumulative effects of doing E for a lifetime yet, so that may change. Although it's interesting to note that almost everyone that does E does it for a short period of time, rather than over the stretch of a lifetime.

E doesn't even figure as high as prescription drugs your mum probably has in the cabinet.

Again though, it's all a bit unreliable because in their wisdom the government has decided to leave control of the business in the hands of amateur chemists and criminals, criminalising people for doing it, and in the process skew stats and fail to conduct adequate research.

good one.

Original post by M4LLY
A former best friend of mine has now broken off from our group, now every weekend he goes out clubbing on E. The sad part is that his family is really well off. Just goes to show that it can happen to anyone, anywhere.

What can happen to anyone... go out clubbing and have an awesome time dancing and being completely off your tits and feeling like everything is right and amzing in the world. And having fun meeting people that have also decided to do that and share something, briefly, for a few hours on a Saturday night, that feels deeply in common with people around you.

And you don't need to feel sorry for them because here's a newsflash: they're probably not wasting a second of their time blatheirng to strangers on an internet forum about how 'sad' it is that it's something that 'hasn't happened to you' and how 'not everyone will be lucky enough' to experience it. No, in likelhood, just like most people that use recreational drugs, they just going to have a great night and then go back to work/school/whatever on Monday just like everyone else.

No wonder your friend has ditched his group. He's probably found some less patronising people to hang out with.
Original post by SEHughes
Remember prohibition?

Yes I'm sure she remembers it well
He didn't die of a heroin overdose according to the acticle, it was alchol and citalopram, although he had traces of heroin in his system.
Original post by Sternumator
He didn't die of a heroin overdose according to the acticle, it was alchol and citalopram, although he had traces of heroin in his system.

yes, which means that

1. someone may have exposed him to it

and seperately to that

2. It probably wasn't even heroin anyway. Probably prescription meds
Reply 54
Legalize, regulate and tax.
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You really might want to learn to spell before being critical.

spelling is fine, grammar on the other hand...

Original post by ugk4life
how does a family of heroin addicts become millionaires??

Well it is most likely the grandfathers money, the house was his as well. It doesn't mention anywhere in the article about him being a drug addict, just his children.
Just because his family could afford to send him to a private school doesn't make them particularly upper-class. Money doesn't equal class.
He was my best friend it's all true
He was one of my best friends I miss him he had a rough life and his birth mom was not a bad person. They just had it thought just because me and drew are rich doesn't mean we're happy and ness his grandma passed away she was most inspirational person I've me and she was paralysed with ms he still consider them both as moms I love him with all my heart please be respectful some of these comment make me so sick to the stomach thanks to those who were respectful
Surprising their drug of choice is skag and not coke.