The Student Room Group

Cheap diet redbull?

Okay, I am literally spending an absolute fortune on red bull.

What is a good low calorie substitute?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I get KX sugarfree. 50p for a can. You can get bigger bottles of it, but I refrain from buying those because I'd end up drinking it all and going a bit mental. It tastes almost identical to redbull except with a vaguely odd after taste. I've only seen it in Tesco however.
i know it's not the same, but coffee is a healthier, low-calorie and cheaper alternative.
Reply 3
Original post by cloppy
I get KX sugarfree. 50p for a can. You can get bigger bottles of it, but I refrain from buying those because I'd end up drinking it all and going a bit mental. It tastes almost identical to redbull except with a vaguely odd after taste. I've only seen it in Tesco however.

Ahhh I never shop at tesco, I'll persuade my mum to order some for delivery haha

Original post by hannaaahlima
i know it's not the same, but coffee is a healthier, low-calorie and cheaper alternative.

I know, but I already drink loooooads of coffee :frown:!
Reply 4
You seriously didn't know about own brand energy drinks? All supermarkets have them, asda, tescos, sainsburys, waitrose, M&S even i think.

Go to lidl and get the stuff there for about 25p a can, cheap and it does the job.
Or buy some pure caffiene powder and a measure (it's about £5 for 50g's, the LD50 is 2g so you can imagine how far it goes) and put it in squash/ water. A red bull contains about 80mg of caffiene, which is not a lot in pure powder form so you'll want some micro measuring scales.
(edited 11 years ago)
Euro Shopper Energy Drinks are 35p for a small can or 69p for a large can. You can get them in most corner shops.
Reply 6
Original post by cloppy

That's probably because it's Tesco's own.

Cott, who make it, also make the other supermarkets own brand energy drinks.

Sainsbury's - Blue Bolt
Asda - Blue Charge
Morrisons - Source

I have no idea if they taste the same though. I've only had Kx out of the four.
KX sugarfree, even though it makes my teeth feel furry.
Reply 8
I like the 35p ones in newsagents... The sugar free one tastes amazing. 4 of them a day and you might be able to lose weight as well. I did, and a large amount of it was from that I would assume.
Original post by Sadsnail

If any of your nearby stores sell it then 'emerge' is pretty good value, and quite tasty too.

Homebargins used to sell a bottle of Blast (1 litre) for 70p, if you can find it then it's simply the best (in my opinion). They stopped selling it at my local store for some reason. Now they sell something called 'Boost', it's about £1 for 500ml. So it's more expensive than Blast but still considerably cheaper than Red Bull.

I would also check out Relentless and Mountain Dew. Though these are quite expensive, I do believe they are still cheaper than Red Bull.

Saying all that, I have no idea whether they are 'low calorie'.
'Home Bargains' Has various energy drinks for as low as 20p!!

(though they're probably terrible for you (though possibly no worse than red bull :wink: ))
Reply 11
Original post by SchrodingersHat
If any of your nearby stores sell it then 'emerge' is pretty good value, and quite tasty too.

Homebargins used to sell a bottle of Blast (1 litre) for 70p, if you can find it then it's simply the best (in my opinion). They stopped selling it at my local store for some reason. Now they sell something called 'Boost', it's about £1 for 500ml. So it's more expensive than Blast but still considerably cheaper than Red Bull.

I would also check out Relentless and Mountain Dew. Though these are quite expensive, I do believe they are still cheaper than Red Bull.

Saying all that, I have no idea whether they are 'low calorie'.

Definitely not.
Reply 12
Original post by Repressor
That's probably because it's Tesco's own.

Cott, who make it, also make the other supermarkets own brand energy drinks.

Sainsbury's - Blue Bolt
Asda - Blue Charge
Morrisons - Source

I have no idea if they taste the same though. I've only had Kx out of the four.

That's interesting! I've had Morrisons and it was like a very crap red bull. Had a paler colour and tasted weirdly bitter. I definitely rate Kx over it. Strange if they're made by the same company. Then again all the caffeine could have made me delusional.

As a side note, my favourite energy drink is Monster absolute. It's fantastical. Add vodka and you'll definitely have a nice time!
Original post by cloppy
That's interesting! I've had Morrisons and it was like a very crap red bull. Had a paler colour and tasted weirdly bitter. I definitely rate Kx over it. Strange if they're made by the same company. Then again all the caffeine could have made me delusional.

As a side note, my favourite energy drink is Monster absolute. It's fantastical. Add vodka and you'll definitely have a nice time!

Monster is definitely the best. Drinking large amounts of energy drinks is great until the morning after...
Reply 14
All about rockstar guava if you really must.

I find with sugarfree energy drinks it just wrecks my teeth, not furry just painful.

Monster is definitely the best. Drinking large amounts of energy drinks is great until the morning after...

Try being the guy who drank 15 jagerbombs and numerous pints on an empty stomach and finshed the night in a curry house.

Pure arse vomit, rusty water til the end.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Reply 16
I make my own energy drinks

scoop of caffeine + some juice or some squash (using fizzy water with squash is AWESOME) + taurine + b vitamins

easy as pie, and tastes good every time.
Original post by Megaross
Pure arse vomit, rusty water til the end.

Too much informationz.
Original post by Sadsnail

Blue Bolt. It's the Sainsbury's own-brand red-bull. Doesn't have an immediate impact but after a couple of hours you'll have all the energy in the world
Reply 19
Too much informationz.

Smelt like someone had set fire to an indian takeaway and thrown a whole bunch of burnt hair into the mix. Stomach retching man.

Quick Reply

Latest