The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
I'm away to the Everton match, Could only get a home ticket though.

Loads of away fans always end up in home sections around St James' Park. Yet my mate and his dad got given Bolton tickets in the home section and got kicked out after 30 minutes.

Anyone doing the coaches down including the overnight stay in Blackpool on the saturday?
I can't see both Spurs and Arsenal winning on Sunday. One of them will slip up... most likely Tottenham as they have a bit of a habit of crumbling at just the wrong times, especially when Arsenal are involved. :h:

Beating Everton at Goodison is a huge ask though, and they have a lot to play for too to make sure they finish above Liverpool. It's going to be an interesting afternoon... :holmes:
Original post by scriggy
I can't see both Spurs and Arsenal winning on Sunday. One of them will slip up... most likely Tottenham as they have a bit of a habit of crumbling at just the wrong times, especially when Arsenal are involved. :h:

Beating Everton at Goodison is a huge ask though, and they have a lot to play for too to make sure they finish above Liverpool. It's going to be an interesting afternoon... :holmes:

You have more belief in Arsenal winning than any Arsenal fan I know :colondollar:

Everyone likes a good Tottenham crumble, especially when 'Arry is involved :colone:

Everton will be difficult. They would love to finish as high as possible as the income will be significant.

However, if you look at it on paper, all 3 clubs are facing mid-table teams. The last few matches is usually the best time to face them. Will be very interesting to see all 3 teams approaches. Personally, Tottenham have the advantage because they play at home.
Reply 4643
The Guardian their nominations for goal of the season. Cisse's against Chelsea is there, as is Ben Arfa's against Bolton. Competing with Peter Crouch, Robin van Persie and Luis Suarez.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/may/10/goal-of-season-2011-2012?intcmp=122

Who the hell does Simpson think he is? Every fan will tell you that he's average at best (and I'm one of his fans!). Also where in the blue hell does he plan to go to? We're just about the only team in such a great position who would have him. It's no loss for us Simpson, so don't flatter yourself with such high wages (he rejected more than a doubling of his contract).
Reply 4646
Simpson leaving is the best for both parties. He'll get the daft money he wants elsewhere and we'll be able to bring in a better replacement. Imagine Debuchy and Santon as starting fullbacks next season? :coma:
Leon Best is an Alex McLeish player if I ever saw one.

I don't mind any of those three leaving. They're fringe players (Guthrie and Best) or the weak link in our first XI (Simpson), so as long as we can replace them with quality I have no problem with this.
Meh, the Simpson thing is disappointing but understandable. He could probably get 40k (?) maybe at somewhere like QPR, and considering all he gets here is abuse over twitter and what-not then where is the incentive for him to stay, really?

Would be sad to see Best and Guthrie go as well, but they'll both want to be playing regularly and they're not going to get that here. They'd be stand-out performers in that Villa squad, TBH.
Reply 4649
Would like to keep Danny Guthrie. Been quite good when standing in for Cabaye or Tiote. Espeically if he goes for nothing. Sign him on a 3 year deal, Then sell him next summer for about £5m.
Reply 4650
More disappointed about best personally think he's done well this season and scored some really important goals at the start of the season
Shocked by the news but in a way pleasantly surprised. It does look like we are being more ambitious by doing this.
Reply 4652
Sad to see Guthrie leaving, personally I think he is quality. When tiote was at the ACoN, he was solid, and some of his passing was amazing. Personally I think he is worth around 5 mil.
Dont mind best going as long as we get another good striker in, although best should be going for about 3/4 mil.

Finally stuff Simpson, if he doesnt want to sign. We should go for the german full back 'BECK' !
Also sad to see Guthrie on the way out he always gives 100% and has had some class performances so a real shame.
Original post by TCD23
Who the hell does Simpson think he is? Every fan will tell you that he's average at best (and I'm one of his fans!). Also where in the blue hell does he plan to go to? We're just about the only team in such a great position who would have him. It's no loss for us Simpson, so don't flatter yourself with such high wages (he rejected more than a doubling of his contract).

I reckon he will go to a club like Wigan, West Ham or Villa
Reply 4655
Original post by scriggy
Meh, the Simpson thing is disappointing but understandable. He could probably get 40k (?) maybe at somewhere like QPR, and considering all he gets here is abuse over twitter and what-not then where is the incentive for him to stay, really?

Would be sad to see Best and Guthrie go as well, but they'll both want to be playing regularly and they're not going to get that here. They'd be stand-out performers in that Villa squad, TBH.
I don't blame Simpson for wanting to leave and the abuse was indeed a disgrace, but I'm not sad he's off. Hopefully he'll be more suited to a weaker club and hopefully we'll have a decent right-back next season.

I wasn't too keen on Best and Guthrie leaving, but they wouldn't play for us much next season, and they're hardly irreplaceable.
Reply 4656
I don't think we will find anyone as good as Guthrie to sit on the bench for us tbh
Reply 4657
Simpsons only been offered the same wage he's on now. £25k a week. While it's alot for the rest of us. He's right in saying he should be given an improved deal.

He could easily get £40k at another club. We should just offer him about £35k a week.
Original post by Vintage
Simpsons only been offered the same wage he's on now. £25k a week. While it's alot for the rest of us. He's right in saying he should be given an improved deal.

He could easily get £40k at another club. We should just offer him about £35k a week.

Erm, no he's not. Read the article he could have doubled his wages to that amount but has rejected it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/9256647/Newcastle-United-right-back-Danny-Simpson-rejects-offer-Leon-Best-and-Danny-Guthrie-set-join-Aston-Villa.html
Reply 4659

Ah ok still he's only on £12k now - up to £25k. He'll be looking at everyone else who's been in the x11 this season and they will all be on more than him. Can't blame him for wanting similar wages to his teammates.

Latest