The Student Room Group

How to get an "A" in GCSE Mathematics...

I am taking GCSE Maths in Y12 because I only scraped a C in Y11 (1mk over). I want to get an A so my GCSEs will look like A*A*AAAABB. I am also taking two other GCSEs to get my total GCSEs from 5 to 8. I reckon I'll get an A* in Spanish and an A in GCSE Science. THAT'S WHY THREE GRADES ARE BOLDED.

How can I get an A? I am barely smart when it comes to maths.

I can't revise maths GCSE completely. I will be doing A levels as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think you should learn what is on the syllabus. I think you should always recap the work, and don't give up. Getting an A isn't easy work though, you must try and work very hard.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Work quite hard and do all the past papers
Reply 3
Yes, what they said. Past papers, past papers, past papers.

Make sure you can do everything (well most) on the Mathematics syllabus.
Original post by InvisibleFootprint
I think you should learn what is on the syllabus. I think you should always recap the work, and don't give up. Getting an A isn't easy work though, you must try and work very hard.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks, :smile:

ANY OTHER TIPS FROM ANYONE ELSE?
Reply 5
Before you do the past papers, for me what really helped was doing every single task on MyMaths, and making sure that you mastered all of the different things! Before I did that, past papers used to take me like 2 and a half --> three hours (a ridiculous amount of time), but then they started taking me like half an hour. Ended up getting 298/300 UMS in the end!
Original post by DavidMarshall96
I am taking GCSE Maths in Y12 because I only scraped a C in Y11 (1mk over). I want to get an A so my GCSEs will look like A*A*AAAABB. I am also taking two other GCSEs to get my total GCSEs from 5 to 8. I reckon I'll get an A* in Spanish and an A in GCSE Science. THAT'S WHY THREE GRADES ARE BOLDED.

1. Learn everything on the syllabus.
2. Do every past paper that has ever existed for that syllabus.
3. Ask a teacher anything you don't understand.
4. Go to after school revision with the current year 11's (if your school does that)
5. Never come back on here again, because you'll end up wasting revision time like the rest of us.
Original post by DeathByBSOD
Any of these should do justice for GCSE Maths:

1) Walk into the exam room.
2) Revise & do LOTS of past papers in advance.
3) revise & do past papers the night before.

any of these SHOULD get you a definite A

Thanks? 1)?

I don't have lots of time as I would be an AS student and have to focus on those rather than my GCSEs.
Reply 8

get mathswatch
Reply 9
if you want to know your capable ... you will be able to get an A when you know and can answer questions like these --- ( solve 3/x-2 + 8/x+3 = 2 ) .. and get both answers questions like this are near the back of the paper ............ however i do linear
Reply 10
Learn things step-by-step. Buy a textbook or perhaps borrow one from your school.

To get an A or better, you have to have a complete and unmitigated understanding of all problems that are considered below an A grade, i.e. don't try and rush into all the hard topics first.

There's no point trying to learn the hard stuff when you get the easy stuff wrong.

The easiest way to find out what you do and do not know is to do a test paper. It doesn't matter how well or not so well you do on this because it's only a practice paper. The most important thing is that you note down the topic areas of the questions that you got wrong and refer to the textbook as to how to do them.

That's the quickest and easiest way to cover the whole course. Don't be afraid to pester your teacher about anything you don't understand - that's what they're paid for!:biggrin:

*Source*

A* grades in GCSE Maths, GCSE statistics and an A grade in FSMQ Additional Maths.
Thanks, :smile:

ANY OTHER TIPS FROM ANYONE ELSE?

No problem :smile:
Thanks? 1)?

I don't have lots of time as I would be an AS student and have to focus on those rather than my GCSEs.

question 1 meaning GCSE Maths is so ridiculously easy, so anyone can walk into the exam room with no revision what so ever and can get an A or an A* with ease.
Original post by DeathByBSOD
question 1 meaning GCSE Maths is so ridiculously easy, so anyone can walk into the exam room with no revision what so ever and can get an A or an A* with ease.

what a ridiculous statement
Do past papers to find what grade you are. But going from a C to an A is ambitious and is unlikely unless you put in a lot of effort.
My sound like I'm trying to patronise, but heed my words, all you have to do is not fall asleep And use your common sense.

Quick Reply

Latest