The Student Room Group

Should the police have more power?

many friends have had incidences where theyve been mugged, had things nicked, or been abused, and the police have done nothing, or send a criminal science unit to the crimescene... 4 months later. this has been because of people knicking bike wheels to nicking expensive power tools etc, worth thousands.

And the police dont do much at all, they just keep a record...

Anyone else sick of this, and want the police to be able to do more?

Or am I and my friends just unlucky with the police in our area?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
seriously? 100 views and no posts? :L
The police have all the power they need, they just don't use it much.
Original post by Crimmy
many friends have had incidences where theyve been mugged, had things nicked, or been abused, and the police have done nothing, or send a criminal science unit to the crimescene... 4 months later. this has been because of people knicking bike wheels to nicking expensive power tools etc, worth thousands.

And the police dont do much at all, they just keep a record...

Anyone else sick of this, and want the police to be able to do more?

Or am I and my friends just unlucky with the police in our area?

What like? What 'more' do you want them to be able to do?
The police are hog tied, if they go in hard they get called heavy handed, if they go in all nicey nice they are too soft.

Personally i think they are far too soft. In Ireland the guards wont stand for back chat here the cops and thier red tape politically correct bosses wont do anything but nod and hope they wont get reported for something.

Many people these days have no respect for the police and it shows. Add to that cushty prisons and oft laughable sentences and its no wonder why this country is heading for the dogs

Personally i have three months till im gone
Original post by silverbolt
The police are hog tied, if they go in hard they get called heavy handed, if they go in all nicey nice they are too soft.

Personally i think they are far too soft. In Ireland the guards wont stand for back chat here the cops and thier red tape politically correct bosses wont do anything but nod and hope they wont get reported for something.

Many people these days have no respect for the police and it shows. Add to that cushty prisons and oft laughable sentences and its no wonder why this country is heading for the dogs

What was the prison like you were in?
Original post by walterwhite123
What was the prison like you were in?

funnily enough i havent been to prison. However i do know of two people i used to hang round with in my younger years who did.

Oh and btw i can see where your going with this
No they don't need more power, they have more than enough for my liking
Reply 8
We are too soft. Thats the bottom line.
Reply 9
I don't see what more power you could give them
If a bike wheel is stolen? How can you expect police to find it? Dust for fingerprints?
Reply 11
They have some of the least powers out of all policing forces in the world I think. But the reason why they don't go after small crimes is because they don't have many resources, and spending much time on small crimes isn't a very effective use of their time. I think anyway.
Its got nothing to do with power, the police do their work AFTER the crime has already been commited, give them all the power they need and muggings, stabbings, etc will still continue to happen. What we need is more police on the beat and in places that are actually known to be dodgy areas. I go out and about the only time I ever see them is when they're in their cars - and even thats a rarity.
Original post by silverbolt

Too bad that even the toughest prisons are worthless as deterrents and even worse at rehabilitation resulting in high rates of re-offending and that 'hard' policing almost always fosters resentment and tension rather than respect.
Reply 14
I think the police have just the right amount of power.

Even though they're not equipped for all tasks, we have different offices to deal with all the things that the police can't, for example, police are not expected to deal with terrorism and national security hence we have MI5 and 6. See where I'm going with this?

Our police force are trained to deal with social crime - and I think they have all the tools at their disposal.

I won't deny that there is an increasing crime rate in the UK, particularly in Urban areas, but I don't think that's because the police force is "Too soft".

One thing we should certainly avoid is the introduction of fire arms. IMO.
Reply 15
If the police had more power during the riots most of the news would be of how police abusing powers rather than the actual event
Reply 16
Original post by walterwhite123
What like? What 'more' do you want them to be able to do?

well, actually use their power instead of trying to stop bury everything in red tape.... I know its not their fault but the system needs to change

Original post by That Bearded Man
If a bike wheel is stolen? How can you expect police to find it? Dust for fingerprints?

no, but say more then "its your fault, you shouldn't have left it unattended" when its secured to a bike parking place (you know the thing I mean, places where you can securely chain your bike)
Original post by tamimi
I think the police have just the right amount of power.

Even though they're not equipped for all tasks, we have different offices to deal with all the things that the police can't, for example, police are not expected to deal with terrorism and national security hence we have MI5 and 6. See where I'm going with this?

Our police force are trained to deal with social crime - and I think they have all the tools at their disposal.

I won't deny that there is an increasing crime rate in the UK, particularly in Urban areas, but I don't think that's because the police force is "Too soft".

One thing we should certainly avoid is the introduction of fire arms. IMO.

I absolutely agree with everything here, but what the hell is 'social' crime? :confused:
Yes, I have always wanted to be a policeman to catch bad guys and uphold the rule of law. Police are the good guys remember, they should be heavy handed on all criminals, and scum...
Reply 19
Original post by Guitarded
I absolutely agree with everything here, but what the hell is 'social' crime? :confused:

Hey, social crime is a very loose term that refers to crime that is not down to national/international issues. E.g. Theft, rape, burglary... et cetera.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending