The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I have applied for catered accomidation as my preferance, but how comes I am only given intercollegiate halls to select from and not UCL halls of residence?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by studentofskhs
I have applied for catered accomidation as my preferance, but how comes I am only given intercollegiate halls to select from and not UCL halls of residence?

You should - after the list of IH halls, at the bottom - there is UCL Halls (or Halls - do not remember how it was worded), but you cannot choose further - thus cannot explicitly say which one (out of the two) you would prefer
I had selected single rooms as my priority but I said I am willing to share. Would UCL select my preferances from 1st choice to 5th choice with single room, or from 1st choice single, then first choice shared and so on? All 5 choices i have selected single rooms as my preferance.
(edited 11 years ago)
I had selected single rooms as my priority but I said I am willing to share. Would UCL select my preferances from 1st choice to 5th choice with single room, or from 1st choice single, then first choice shared and so on? All 5 choices i have selected single rooms as my preferance.

Hey! Just out of curiosity - clearly you want single, so why did you put ´´yes´´ to ´´willing-to-share question´´?
Reply 6604
Original post by plummango
lol "should I worry" as if worrying is ever an optional choice

dont worry about it, I gave my application in too and it also says pending on mine, as well as lots of people that have completed the application.

Did you submit your photograph and confirm all your details? If so then no need to worry :smile:

Thanks, did you get a confirmation email?

Yeah, I attached my photo and confirmed my details, but the lack of a Submit button and no confirmation email seemed really odd.
Original post by Dominika4
Hey! Just out of curiosity - clearly you want single, so why did you put ´´yes´´ to ´´willing-to-share question´´?

I put UCL as my insurance so I am at a lower priority for a room so 'sharing' will broaden my chances, and I prefer a single room but I don't mind sharing if I really have to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is the accomodation allocated on a first come first serve basis?
Reply 6607
Original post by pot noodle
Is the accomodation allocated on a first come first serve basis?

shouldn't be, ive heard as long as you get it in for 31st may, they'll all be treated equally. someone just confirm this cause ive just been hearing this dont know if it true :/
Reply 6608
any advice on UCL accommodation? how to apply for it? and wheres the nicest/most modern? thanks!
I put UCL as my insurance so I am at a lower priority for a room so 'sharing' will broaden my chances, and I prefer a single room but I don't mind sharing if I really have to.

Oh, I see...I asked partially because I was pondering over the implications of that ´´willing-to-share question´´, since to me it does not make any sense and was interested why you chose ´´yes´´ seeing as you prefer single...May I ask what is your firm (and what will you be studying)?...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jayy1994
shouldn't be, ive heard as long as you get it in for 31st may, they'll all be treated equally. someone just confirm this cause ive just been hearing this dont know if it true :/

Yes, you´re right - I´ve read it somewhere on their website, something like: ´´applications received even well before this deadline will be considered on equal terms with all applications (given these were submitted on time)´´...this is the case for conditional offers, but I would say if you have and accept unconditional, there´s no point in waiting, they can allocate you a room ´´right away´´ - sooner (i´ve heard of such cases here on TSR).
Oh, I see...I asked partially because I was pondering over the implications of that ´´willing-to-share question´´, since to me it does not make any sense and was interested why you chose ´´yes´´ seeing as you prefer single...May I ask what is your firm (and what will you be studying)?...

Imperial firm, Chemistry
I'm probably not the best person to ask about this sort of thing, but I know fellow postgrads that live nearby to UCL that pay in the region of £550 PCM for a room in a houseshare. Of course, the further away you live, the cheaper it will/may be, but this is an approximate region for costing.

From what I understand, they found some sort of website where people were offering rooms in shared houses, and you sort of look around, then they pick which of the people they want to be their housemate, but there's a lot of trials for limited places.
Original post by eduleal
Thanks, did you get a confirmation email?

Yeah, I attached my photo and confirmed my details, but the lack of a Submit button and no confirmation email seemed really odd.

Nope, no confirmation email either :frown:

I didn't even know you're meant to get one.

Yeah, the accommodation application is really weird man, When I uploaded a photo it didnt even come up on the screen, the default grey screen remained :s-smilie:
Reply 6614
Hi guys!
I have a question regarding cancelling my application. I was accepted by UCL at the end of March and I immediately firmed it as well as applying for accommodation. 2 weeks later, after thinking about the cons of my first application, I cancelled it a few times to finally ask for another type of accommodation (en-suite single room to single room more precisely). It seems like UCL process your application as soon as you firm your offer, so I am afraid that maybe in the meantime, they already allocated me a room from my first application's preferences...Should I call them to check if they saw the cancellation in time or does someone know if they review your application a second time to check if there are any changes or something?
Thank you for reading this post :smile:
-Sarah
Original post by Sarvelle
Hi guys!
I have a question regarding cancelling my application. I was accepted by UCL at the end of March and I immediately firmed it as well as applying for accommodation. 2 weeks later, after thinking about the cons of my first application, I cancelled it a few times to finally ask for another type of accommodation (en-suite single room to single room more precisely). It seems like UCL process your application as soon as you firm your offer, so I am afraid that maybe in the meantime, they already allocated me a room from my first application's preferences...Should I call them to check if they saw the cancellation in time or does someone know if they review your application a second time to check if there are any changes or something?
Thank you for reading this post :smile:
-Sarah

Well - they should not....on their website it is said that (paraphrasing)´´we start allocating the rooms as soon as it is practical - start/middle of August´´, so your ´´changed´´ application should be fine (they do not immediately allocate - and even if they did, imagine this: they allocate you a room on the basis of your first application - you cancel it - you no longer have the room...you send another application, they have to process it again and allocate you a room again). However, to put your mind at ease - you can always ask them (I would suggest calling if you want to have an answer ´´right away´´, since they are now quite overloaded with work and it might take up to two weeks for them to answer you - based on personal experience:smile:)....I´d like to ask - I was in a similar position as you, re-thinking priorities and was considering cancelling and applying again, but was not sure whether I could do that. Did you have any kind of troubles during re-applying?
Reply 6616
Hi, I was wondering how far away are the Garden Halls from UCL in terms of walking/cycling time and what the general opinion on these halls is (: On the map they look really far from UCL, but I believe someone mentioned it's only about 20 minutes?
Original post by Calmeni
Hi, I was wondering how far away are the Garden Halls from UCL in terms of walking/cycling time and what the general opinion on these halls is (: On the map they look really far from UCL, but I believe someone mentioned it's only about 20 minutes?

Yeah - should be around 14 minutes walking distance (to the main Bloomsbury campus) - give the UCL address and the address of the Halls in Google maps (that´s how I come up with the number) and see the walking distance (adjust ´´UCL´´ as necessary - based on what buildings you will be spending the most of your time at)...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6618
Original post by Moiraclaire
There is no email. You just apply through the general UCL website.

You're not guaranteed accommodation because it is you insurance but you can and should still apply, otherwise you'll definitely have nowhere to live if you miss Imperial's grades.

Right, Ive put UCL as my insurance as well, so I DO need to apply now? What happens to the application if I dont go to UCL in the end?
Reply 6619
Yeah - should be around 14 minutes walking distance (to the main Bloomsbury campus) - give the UCL address and the address of the Halls in Google maps (that´s how I come up with the number) and see the walking distance (adjust ´´UCL´´ as necessary - based on what buildings you will be spending the most of your time at)...

Hey thanks for the fast reply! Unfortunately my faculty (at least what I can gather from the UCL faculty map) appears to be next to Gower Street - i.e. on the other end of UCL. If any current student can confirm the Life Science faculty is indeed there, I'd be much obliged (:

And I'm asking because I wouldn't know about actual conditions over there, like maybe obstructions / best route to take / shortcuts.