The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AishaTara
for now focus on as exams :smile:

Bad advice, it doesn't take 5 minutes to email a hospice/ hospital asking for voluntary work. It can take months to sort these things out so to wait would be stupid. Look around there are always some voluntary jobs going especially at charity run hospices.
Original post by panda8714
Hi :smile:
So basically, I'm due to apply in October for medicine, and i haven't started my volunteering yet.

Previously, I've done three years of volunteering in a charity shop but I still need to do some 'proper' volunteering in e.g. a nursing home, due to my cbr check not being processed properly so it hasn't come through yet :/

If I started now I'd get about five/six months 'proper' volunteering done. Can someone tell me if this is long enough?

You should find this useful - Medicine Work Experience - TSR

Remember that in the case of work experience, quality over quantity is best. 2 weeks in a GP surgery which has given you valuable insight to a career in healthcare is better than 3 months of work in a care home where you learnt nothing/developed no skills which may benefit you. (I'm not saying this is the case with these particular things, I was just using them as an example)

Whatever you do, take notes on what you've learnt as these can be things to talk about in the interview if you're asked about them, make sure you can relate things you've learnt and skills you've gained to a career in medicine.

It's tough finding work experience sometimes but just keep at it and apply early because the process can take a while for some places, especially as most healthcare related places require a CRB check!

Make sure you're working hard for your exams too as you can get work experience any time, but having to resit a full year of A-levels may not go down so well.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5782
Original post by lsaul95
You should find this useful - Medicine Work Experience - TSR

Remember that in the case of work experience, quality over quantity is best. 2 weeks in a GP surgery which has given you valuable insight to a career in healthcare is better than 3 months of work in a care home where you learnt nothing/developed no skills which may benefit you. (I'm not saying this is the case with these particular things, I was just using them as an example)

Whatever you do, take notes on what you've learnt as these can be things to talk about in the interview if you're asked about them, make sure you can relate things you've learnt and skills you've gained to a career in medicine.

It's tough finding work experience sometimes but just keep at it and apply early because the process can take a while for some places, especially as most healthcare related places require a CRB check!

Make sure you're working hard for your exams too as you can get work experience any time, but having to resit a full year of A-levels may not go down so well.

Good luck :smile:

This. You don't need to add up days and weeks to get long durations just for the sake of it... It all depends on how you reflect on what you've gained and how you feel you have benefited from that particular experience in order to make you a more suited candidate to study medicine. However I would say make sure you try your hardest to get both experience in clinical settings i.e hospital based work experience/GP AND experience in a healthcare setting which focuses on a holistic approach i.e a nursing home or care home as universities also want to see hands on experience as opposed to just observations (not implying that shadowing is at all a "less" valuable experience!) :smile:
I've tried to get experience in lots of areas -
3 GPs, 3 physiotherapists, 3 care homes and a hospice... only got 1 reply from a GP and one from a physio, and from the hospice.
So to get it, do you ring up or personally visit?
I've got a week with Mencap and am going to start in the hospital volunteers in a few weeks.

Oh and there is a site where I can request hospital shadowing - however, it asks for the name and contact details of the place sponsoring/supporting my request and I'm doing it alone. So what do I write? Just 'personal'?

Luckily I've got a lot of time (mid June to mid Aug) to sort something out but the lack of replies is a bit disheartening!

Thanks if you can help :h:
Reply 5784
Hi! I'm in year 12 in NI (Year 11 in England) and I'm studying for my GCSEs. I would love to do medicine and I know that work experience and extra curricular activities are really good when applying for uni....where would be a good place for work experience and how would i get in? and also what are useful extra curricular activities? Thanks :smile:
You should ideally try and get a work experience placement in a hospital and in a GP to be able to contrast the different settings, just contact the receptionist at a GP and hospitals should have work experience info on their websites along with contact numbers. Some long-term volunteering will also help so try to volunteer for a local charity if you haven't already.

Don't do extra curricular activities for the sake of applying, do it because you enjoy it because you really don't need them. I applied with hardly any ECs and managed to get in along with many others I know, so don't worry about them.
Reply 5786
Original post by coconut2456
You should ideally try and get a work experience placement in a hospital and in a GP to be able to contrast the different settings, just contact the receptionist at a GP and hospitals should have work experience info on their websites along with contact numbers. Some long-term volunteering will also help so try to volunteer for a local charity if you haven't already.

Don't do extra curricular activities for the sake of applying, do it because you enjoy it because you really don't need them. I applied with hardly any ECs and managed to get in along with many others I know, so don't worry about them.

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 5787
Original post by AishaTara
for now focus on as exams :smile:

Nooo, for long term volunteering you need to sort that asap - especially as it can take months to arrange and get started. Thats the advice you give to people worrying about UKCAT, interviews etc hahah
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I've tried to get experience in lots of areas -
3 GPs, 3 physiotherapists, 3 care homes and a hospice... only got 1 reply from a GP and one from a physio, and from the hospice.
So to get it, do you ring up or personally visit?
I've got a week with Mencap and am going to start in the hospital volunteers in a few weeks.
Oh and there is a site where I can request hospital shadowing - however, it asks for the name and contact details of the place sponsoring/supporting my request and I'm doing it alone. So what do I write? Just 'personal'?
Luckily I've got a lot of time (mid June to mid Aug) to sort something out but the lack of replies is a bit disheartening!
Thanks if you can help :h:

To officially get a placement they will want something in written form i.e. e-mail or letter as they need this as proof. However ringing in or asking in person is a good way to see if it's possible to do get it as it's always harder to turn someone down in person! :smile:
As for the site for requesting hospital shadowing I would e-mail the site and ask what to put down in that section if you don't have a place sponsoring/supporting. Medical shadowing is quite essential so try and arrange some asap :smile: You can see if your family knows any doctors or sees doctors regularly as it's always easier to get in if you know someone :P
Hospital volunteering is a great placement and if you do it long term it'll definitely look good on your PS :smile:
Original post by zhang599
To officially get a placement they will want something in written form i.e. e-mail or letter as they need this as proof. However ringing in or asking in person is a good way to see if it's possible to do get it as it's always harder to turn someone down in person! :smile:
As for the site for requesting hospital shadowing I would e-mail the site and ask what to put down in that section if you don't have a place sponsoring/supporting. Medical shadowing is quite essential so try and arrange some asap :smile: You can see if your family knows any doctors or sees doctors regularly as it's always easier to get in if you know someone :P
Hospital volunteering is a great placement and if you do it long term it'll definitely look good on your PS :smile:

Thanks very much for your help. I just now checked my emails and was very happy to see an invitation to book an informal tour and meeting regarding a placement of up to 2 weeks shadowing at the renal unit in a large hospital!
Very pleased :tongue: and glad that I'm doing this now (end of Y11) as opposed to next summer.:jive:
Original post by lsaul95

Remember that in the case of work experience, quality over quantity is best. :smile:

Original post by Bugsy
This. You don't need to add up days and weeks to get long durations just for the sake of it... It all depends on how you reflect on what you've gained and how you feel you have benefited from that particular experience in order to make you a more suited candidate to study medicine.

That may be the case for work experience (which can be difficult to get for 16/17 year olds), but for voluntary work some medical schools look for evidence of a long-term commitment, Manchester being one of them - for them, 2 weeks of volunteering wouldn't be enough.

You can see why they think this - it takes less commitment (and maybe shows less of a considered choice to study medicine) to volunteer for 2 weeks than it does for 6 months or so, no matter how well you reflect on it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5791
Original post by theatrical
That may be the case for work experience (which can be difficult to get for 16/17 year olds), but for voluntary work some medical schools look for evidence of a long-term commitment, Manchester being one of them - for them, 2 weeks of volunteering wouldn't be enough.

You can see why they think this - it takes less commitment (and maybe shows less of a considered choice to study medicine) to volunteer for 2 weeks than it does for 6 months or so, no matter how well you reflect on it.

Fully agree, should have made it clearer in my post I was talking only about duration of work experience i.e where you are shadowing in a hospital/GP..
Reply 5792
Original post by Dr.Acula
If you're really looking to do something, I'd advise you to maybe try to start volunteering regularly at a care home or hospice. Long-term volunteering looks very good on your PS. It's still fairly early for you though, the main thing you should be doing is making sure you concentrate on your GCSEs and get the best grades you can (I really regret not doing as well as I could have in GCSEs).

Best of luck. :smile:

thankyou
By the time I apply in autumn, I'll have 3 weeks shadowing doctors/watching surgeries as well as 6 months helping at a centre for children with learning difficulties. Is that sufficient? I know there's not really any such thing as enough, but would thT demonstrate commitment at the very least?
Original post by Lansaaaa
By the time I apply in autumn, I'll have 3 weeks shadowing doctors/watching surgeries as well as 6 months helping at a centre for children with learning difficulties. Is that sufficient? I know there's not really any such thing as enough, but would thT demonstrate commitment at the very least?

Yes, it is plenty - but the most important thing is reflection and showing what you learnt in your PS and interviews
Reply 5795
Original post by theatrical

Definitely true, I had 2 years weekly volunteering in a care home (very easy to organise and I learnt loads) and it was the main focus of my interview at Manchester.
Original post by Lansaaaa

That sounds ok to me. I had 2 weeks experience in ENT, 1 week at a GP, 9 months at a nursing home and then other random volunteer placements here and there separate to my main stuff.

I know how annoyingly hard it is to get long term experience, but I think that the reflection is much more important. like if you do 2 years experience at a hospice but dont gain anything, then theres no point, so make sure you show what you learned from your own experiences
!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi every one. I want to get work experiance to get into medicine. Would anyone help me to get my work experiance by posting useful sites where i can apply. Thanks.:smile:
Hi there,
I recommend you find a more suitable forum area to post, but here is a website advising on medicine:
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=135

Hope it helps.
Try and get some work as a healthcare assistant. It teaches you vital communication and people skills which the majority of doctors really don't have. There are 2 HCAs on my ward currently who are going into medicine, one has got on to graduate entry at Southampton for September and the other is doing 2 years work experience. Unis will value this type of experience more highly than simple shadowing days for example, although you should do this as well!

Latest

Trending

Trending