The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by more tea vicar?
It's sent out automatically apparently.

That's my understanding too. I got the impression that we'd be getting feedback sometime in the coming week, along with buddies being assigned and vetting forms being sent out. Have to admit though, given how long they claim the vetting apparently takes I'm a little surprised the forms haven't been sent out yet.

Still, definitely relieved that the hard part's over, now to have my whole life intimately scrutinised, arrange to move 300 miles south with my partner, complete my masters degree and start training a replacement finance director. Total walk in the park :tongue:
Reply 2761
Original post by HLS
'Judicial, legal and constitutional' probably.

However you are unlikely to get the same options for TiB.

That's right - they do it differently for TiB. The last couple of years they've had a list of departments and you need to put a 1,2,3 preference on there.
Reply 2762
Original post by obamtl
Congrats! It'd have been great to meet you too on the 11th, but I'm sure there'd be other opportunities to meet TiBers.

Your best bet is to email Terri at the IT.Profession@..... Email address. She'd be glad to send the departmental info to you.

Original post by Aylia
Check out the blogs on the fast stream site. Also - stick to your guns if you want a London department.

DWP are based in Warrington and DFID in Glasgow.

Thanks so much for the info! Will definitely send that email and take a closer look at the blogs. Has everyone already accepted?
Reply 2763
Original post by Jazzman86
That's my understanding too. I got the impression that we'd be getting feedback sometime in the coming week, along with buddies being assigned and vetting forms being sent out. Have to admit though, given how long they claim the vetting apparently takes I'm a little surprised the forms haven't been sent out yet.

Still, definitely relieved that the hard part's over, now to have my whole life intimately scrutinised, arrange to move 300 miles south with my partner, complete my masters degree and start training a replacement finance director. Total walk in the park :tongue:

I've got my vetting form already, although this is for TiB and I know the level of vetting is higher for FCO.
Reply 2764
I don't know if Jazzman86 means a vetting form or disclosure form, but...

Original post by HLS
I've got my vetting form already, although this is for TiB and I know the level of vetting is higher for FCO.

That's not a vetting form, it's a CRB disclosure, and is part of the pre-appointment checks - this'll be my third in 12 months!

We'll be getting a vetting form separately, I don't believe it's administered by Disclosure Scotland. I don't know what they are like nowadays but I had to complete a similar form back in 1999 for the DVLA, and it asked e.g. my parent's details amongst other things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2765
Original post by Chiryu
I don't know if Jazzman86 means a vetting form or disclosure form, but...

That's not a vetting form, it's a CRB disclosure, and is part of the pre-appointment checks - this'll be my third in 12 months!

We'll be getting a vetting form separately, I don't believe it's administered by Disclosure Scotland. I don't know what they are like nowadays but I had to complete a similar form back in 1999 for the DVLA, and it asked e.g. my parent's details amongst other things.

Haha - yes this is my second in twelve months.

I presumed CRB was the only vetting that was done. I presume there is SC vetting as well then? Or perhaps DV for FCO?

Why is this not listed as part of the pre-appointment checks?
Reply 2766
Original post by HLS
Haha - yes this is my second in twelve months.

I presumed CRB was the only vetting that was done. I presume there is SC vetting as well then? Or perhaps DV for FCO?

Why is this not listed as part of the pre-appointment checks?

FCO has DV, as do a couple of other depts I think, like MoD and certain parts of MoJ.
Reply 2767
Original post by lm222
FCO has DV, as do a couple of other depts I think, like MoD and certain parts of MoJ.

So when do we do this?

SC/DV takes ages.
Reply 2768
I was quoted 2-3 months for my SC, which is the initial level for MoD. I've been told DV can take up to a year.

And the Olympics is slowing everything down!
Original post by Rosaliec
I was quoted 2-3 months for my SC, which is the initial level for MoD. I've been told DV can take up to a year.

Ha, the MOD vetting agency had to refuse all new applications for a couple of months because they had such a big backlog, due to not enough staff apparently.
Reply 2770
Expected start date for FCO is end of October so hopefully not a year! I think the key thing is just to fill out and send back the forms asap.
Reply 2771
SC is credit reference checks, verification of identity and immediate associates and checking your name against the records of the security services.

However DV theoretically allows anybody you have ever had an association with to be interviewed about your character so there is no technical time limit on turn around.

Hopefully it'll be SC because I don't want to be waiting forever for DV.
Reply 2772
Is there an expected start date for TiB yet? Since we all start together at induction, if one person's vetting is held up does that push back everyones start date or does that person start the year following?
Reply 2773
According to the two TiBbers that were at the FSB, in previous years most new entrants to TiB have started in September, although that's not always the case; one that I spoke to began his placement in late July.
Original post by Rosaliec

I asked the question about DV at the FSB. Apparently FCO FSers get their applications prioritised/fast-tracked in order to start in October. I imagine CD/TiB FSers needing DV can expect the same priority to facilitate a timely start. Certainly with FCO any offer is conditional on clearing DV, so it's reasonable to assume they would try to complete it about a month prior to starting (ie. end of September) so a final offer can be made/notice for resignation given/accommodation arrangements finalised etc.

In the meantime, you can find a copy of the questionnaire if you do a google search. It's about 50 pages long and seriously detailed. I'd definitely recommend looking through it so you have an idea of what info you'll need to gather to answer it sufficiently.

On a related note, has anyone FCO or otherwise asked whether there's any help available to sort relocation (e.g. List of reputable letting agents, support toward cost of moving etc)? I'll be moving from Newcastle to London with my partner and haven't yet asked the question.
Reply 2775
Original post by Jazzman86
I asked the question about DV at the FSB. Apparently FCO FSers get their applications prioritised/fast-tracked in order to start in October. I imagine CD/TiB FSers needing DV can expect the same priority to facilitate a timely start. Certainly with FCO any offer is conditional on clearing DV, so it's reasonable to assume they would try to complete it about a month prior to starting (ie. end of September) so a final offer can be made/notice for resignation given/accommodation arrangements finalised etc.

In the meantime, you can find a copy of the questionnaire if you do a google search. It's about 50 pages long and seriously detailed. I'd definitely recommend looking through it so you have an idea of what info you'll need to gather to answer it sufficiently.

On a related note, has anyone FCO or otherwise asked whether there's any help available to sort relocation (e.g. List of reputable letting agents, support toward cost of moving etc)? I'll be moving from Newcastle to London with my partner and haven't yet asked the question.

Is it listed in your pre-appointment checks for the FCO? It isn't for TiB which makes me think that it is used at a Departmental level, after we've been assigned to one.

We don't get assigned until June at the earliest so anybody needing DV will need to be seriously fast tracked! Suppose this is the 'fast stream'....

... bad pun.
Reply 2776
Original post by HLS
Is it listed in your pre-appointment checks for the FCO? It isn't for TiB which makes me think that it is used at a Departmental level, after we've been assigned to one.

We don't get assigned until June at the earliest so anybody needing DV will need to be seriously fast tracked! Suppose this is the 'fast stream'....

... bad pun.

For me it's not listed as one of the items in that table (movements, previous emplyee reference, etc), but the question is posed in the FAQ section to the Pre-Appointment Checks page:

"Will I have to undergo security checks?

Some departments will require you to undergo additional security checks, either because of the nature of their work, or the specific post for which they have you in mind or because of the building access you’ll need. If this will apply to you, the department will let you know as soon as possible and will begin the clearance process. Additional checks are carried out only when necessary and departments will make every effort to give you accurate information about the processes and timescales involved.

Additional security checks will definitely be required if you join either the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the Ministry of Defence (MOD). They will also probably be required if you join the Home Office, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), the Cabinet Office or the Department of Health (DH). In other departments, security checks will depend on the nature of your post.

You may have heard that security checks take a long time to complete. That can be true, and in particular the Developed Vetting (DV) checks carried out by the FCO and MOD can take several months. Whilst the delay to starting work can be frustrating, you will understand that it is essential that security is upheld. There are no shortcuts. We can only say that the process will be completed as quickly as possible."

So it seems there's a fair bit of waiting still to go in this process!

EDIT: http://www.fcoservices.gov.uk/eng/ourservices/national_security_vetting.asp - has all sorts of information about security clearances, and it's most likely fco services who will do the vetting itself.
(edited 11 years ago)
EFS results finally out! Successful - yay!
Reply 2778
Same here. Thank goodness for that!

Congrats to all who've managed to pass the final hurdle, and genuine commiserations to anyone filtered out at this stage.
Been placed in Department of Local governance and communities -- exactly the kind of governance I'm not pro, especially as it's all devolved power from government. Don't quite understand why I've got my last listed preference when I passed the HoP mark... Also don't understand the logic when I'm an ex-International Relations student, have worked on EU migration, expressed a preference to work in border control, etc.

Any advice? This isn't the kind of department I expected at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending