The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baileymasseyy
I've just finished my EPQ and i've been looking at university course entry requirements, and i suddenly wondered - does the EPQ count as a full a-level?

i.e. if my course requirements are ABB, and i get an A in my EPQ, will I only need 2 Bs in my exams?

thank you!

No it is equal to an AS Level not a full A Level
Reply 2761
I'VE FINISHED! Done everything now! My essay, my presentation and my production log! Thank God! :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo: :2euk48l:
The head of A levels at my college is hesitant to enter only one student, so it looks like I'll be entering as a private candidate.

Anyone else done so? How was it?
I've completed my product with accompanying report - and I got the final item published. I did the presentation and I had fantastic feedback. I'm just finishing the log now with the reflection section. Going for an A*, but I'll be happy with an A.

Good luck to everyone else doing it! Woo for EPQ!
Hi all,

So I'm starting my extended project over summer and I need to think of an idea. I know I want to base it around something to do with computer science as that's what i want to do at university however I can't think of a 'title' to study.

I would appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thanks!!

If it helps I am currently studying:
Maths
Computing
Further maths
Chemistry
Quantum computers and their possible applications?
Will computer specifications continue to increase and is this necessary?
Where would we be without computers?
Reply 2767
Anyone doing the AQA Bacc: do you know if Critical Thinking/General Studies AS counts towards your final grade? Or can I get like an E or something but still get the same result that I got on my EPQ?
I have decided that I would like to do my EPQ on the events on 9/11.
Would this be possible? I mean could I do it about the conspiracies? Or shall I just title it "To what extent did the events of 9/11 influence the America and the wider world?" Sounds a little vague, so any help on a title would be appreciated!
Cheers
Original post by mangoh
when did you start EP?

september 2011?

Havnt started it yet! Have to apply for it at school as its so over subscribed.
The teacher will pick the most interesting essay titles, so im trying to think of something unique and interesting at the same time, and something researchable
Reply 2770
Got my mark for my EPQ! :biggrin: Got what I wanted and my supervisor was so sweet! Bless him :love:
Finished my EPQ today! Did my presentation last Wednesday and handed in the essay on Friday, but it didn't feel finished until I signed off all of my logbook today.

In retrospect, I'm glad I did it. But you have to be seriously self-motivated and ensure that it doesn't get in the way of your other subjects.

If anyone needs any advice on it, feel free to PM me. But I'm rubbish at helping with title ideas etc.
Reply 2772
Original post by mangoh
congrats

Thank you! :smile:
Decided on doing "The historical context of economies and how they have shaped our world today."
This was only a proposed essay title so it will probably change though
Original post by S_123
Anyone doing the AQA Bacc: do you know if Critical Thinking/General Studies AS counts towards your final grade? Or can I get like an E or something but still get the same result that I got on my EPQ?

I'm not doing the AQA Bacc, but loads of people at my school are. From what I've heard, you just need to pass critical thinking or general studies to get the overall qualification, so as an E is a pass, it should be fine.
Hi, after college i would like to go to uni to study adult nursing. So i want to relate my EPQ to nursing any ideas?
- up to now ive got how nursing has developed over the years, since the 1700's
:smile:
Reply 2776
Original post by S_123
Got my mark for my EPQ! :biggrin: Got what I wanted and my supervisor was so sweet! Bless him :love:

When did your school send it off? Is this the final grade? Is this the supervisor or moderator mark?

Sorry for the questions I handed mine in to the supervisor on Wednesday and I think they marked it and sent it off by Thursday/Friday.

And congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 2777
Original post by . .
When did your school send it off? Is this the final grade? Is this the supervisor or moderator mark?

Sorry for the questions I handed mine in to the supervisor on Wednesday and I think they marked it and sent it off by Thursday/Friday.

And congratulations! :biggrin:

Thank you! Yeah it's the final grade :smile: My teacher says my mark could be moderated and changed a little by the examiners but it will probably stay the same. Have you found out your mark? Your final one will probably be the same one that your supervisor gave you.
Reply 2778
Original post by badgerbarn
Decided on doing "The historical context of economies and how they have shaped our world today."
This was only a proposed essay title so it will probably change though

That sounds great! I think as you start researching your title will change to something more specific because your current title covers a huge spectrum! But you'll figure it what you want to specifically research as you begin researching this. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2779
Original post by S_123
Thank you! Yeah it's the final grade :smile: My teacher says my mark could be moderated and changed a little by the examiners but it will probably stay the same. Have you found out your mark? Your final one will probably be the same one that your supervisor gave you.

That's not good my supervisor and hates me with a passion. :frown:

Quick Reply