The Student Room Group

Can I get an offer with predicted A's?

So I want to do medicine and of course i need 3 A's,

Apparently you now need A's at A level as uni's look at these rather than your predicted grades,
Is this true or can I get an offer with predicted A's, and B's at AS level?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm sure most universities are happy to offer you a place with the AS levels you have, although you will be at a slight dissadvantage to those with A's.
Reply 2
I'm not really sure what you're asking. The majority of people apply on predicted grades (which need to be AAA~) and yes since A is the highest you can achieve at AS it's fine.
Original post by l2ob

Apparently you now need A's at A level as uni's look at these rather than your predicted grades,

Thanks.

If you're asking whether you can get an offer with B's at AS and A's predicted, it's more difficult unless you have extenuating circumstances (simply because so many people get A's). If you have some A's and some B's at AS then probably if you apply strategically!

Rather than just negging me, please explain what you find so offensive about my statement?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by joker12345
If you're asking whether you can get an offer with B's at AS and A's predicted, it's unlikely unless you have extenuating circumstances (simply because so many people get A's). If you have some A's and some B's at AS then probably if you apply strategically!

This is wrong.

OP as long as you can get predicted three As at A2 you'll be fine.
Original post by Elwyn
This is wrong.

OP as long as you can get predicted three As at A2 you'll be fine.

Based on what evidence? Universities aren't stupid, predicted grades alone gives them no evidence as to how a BBBB student is going to get AAA. Why wouldn't they choose all the AAAA students out there?
Original post by l2ob

Thanks.

You really need a 3A predicition...and if not 3A/A* predicitions. You would be at quite a disadvantage if you get a < 3A predicition because the majority applying would have secured high predictions from teachers. If you feel you won't be able to get those predicitions, I would get on the right side of your teachers asap :angel:
Reply 7
Based on what evidence? Universities aren't stupid, predicted grades alone gives them no evidence as to how a BBBB student is going to get AAA. Why wouldn't they choose all the AAAA students out there?

Elwyn is right. A prediction of As is enough even if they only have Bs at AS level. It will be harder for the applicant but the universities know that many applicants will resit modules to boost their grades.
Original post by My-My-My
Elwyn is right. A prediction of As is enough even if they only have Bs at AS level. It will be harder for the applicant but the universities know that many applicants will resit modules to boost their grades.

Birmingham straight rejected anyone with less than 4 A's at AS this year, despite A* predictions or anything like that. Yes, many people will resit and do better, but with the immense competition at medical schools they have to reject someone! Not to say it's impossible - you'll just have to make up for it in the UKCAT/at interview.
Reply 9
If you're asking whether you can get an offer with B's at AS and A's predicted, it's unlikely unless you have extenuating circumstances (simply because so many people get A's). If you have some A's and some B's at AS then probably if you apply strategically!

I know someone who currently holds an ABB offer, he had no A's at AS. You just have to be very, very, very good in other areas of the application.
Reply 10

Aside from the fact that I had 4 Bs at AS. Read university entry procedures, very few actually look at AS grades. GCSEs and predictions are the important ones.
Reply 11
Birmingham straight rejected anyone with less than 4 A's at AS this year, despite A* predictions or anything like that. Yes, many people will resit and do better, but with the immense competition at medical schools they have to reject someone! Not to say it's impossible - you'll just have to make up for it in the UKCAT/at interview.

So they don't apply to Birmingham? There are many other universities that will consider an applicant with A predictions and not As at AS level.
Original post by Ilyas
I know someone who currently holds an ABB offer, he had no A's at AS. You just have to be very, very, very good in other areas of the application.

For this year? Yeah, agreed, it's possible but you definitely have to make it up in other areas.
Reply 13
Do you actually have to declare your AS grades on ucas or can you leave them as pending or whatever.
Original post by Giggy88
Do you actually have to declare your AS grades on ucas or can you leave them as pending or whatever.

If you're at a state school, then yes. Private schools are allowed a policy where they don't certify AS grades until y13, so if you're at a private school, you may be able to leave them undisclosed.

See here for more info.
Reply 15
I got an offer this year with predicted AAA but only AABB As grades...in fact i seem to remember a few of the admissions tutors at open days saying they basically don't even look at AS grades.
Reply 16
Original post by Beska
I'm not really sure what you're asking. The majority of people apply on predicted grades (which need to be AAA~) and yes since A is the highest you can achieve at AS it's fine.

i want to know if they prioritise your AS results or your A2 predictions when applying for medicine. :smile: forgive me for being unclear lol
Reply 17
Original post by l2ob
i want to know if they prioritise your AS results or your A2 predictions when applying for medicine. :smile: forgive me for being unclear lol

Most places pretty much expect AAA predictions (does anybody even give out AAB offers for 2013 entry?) but on the whole, having a B or so at AS isn't harmful. If you have terrible AS grades (DCE) and are predicted AAA, that might raise some eyebrows though.
Reply 18
Original post by gukl
I got an offer this year with predicted AAA but only AABB As grades...in fact i seem to remember a few of the admissions tutors at open days saying they basically don't even look at AS grades.

what uni did you get the offer at? and what did you get in your UKCAT?

I thought that they didn't look at AS grades at all until my head of sixth form told us that uni's are now prioritising your AS grades, not your predicted grades, when considering your application :angry:
Reply 19
Original post by Beska
Most places pretty much expect AAA predictions (does anybody even give out AAB offers for 2013 entry?) but on the whole, having a B or so at AS isn't harmful. If you have terrible AS grades (DCE) and are predicted AAA, that might raise some eyebrows though.

thanks. I do hope it isn't, i'm worried that i won't get my A's in my exams this month lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending