The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frey
I, myself, am more than happy for gay/lesbian couples to adopt. However, in the current climate, I would have to say no. This is because until it's socially acceptable (which it may just be in the future) the child in question will be open to a lot of serious bullying and unhappiness, and at the end of the day, that's what's important, the child.

The child will be open to bullying and unhappiness with a straight couple. Or if it stays in care. This is not an argument.
Original post by Frey
I, myself, am more than happy for gay/lesbian couples to adopt. However, in the current climate, I would have to say no. This is because until it's socially acceptable (which it may just be in the future) the child in question will be open to a lot of serious bullying and unhappiness, and at the end of the day, that's what's important, the child.

I agree that the child is what's important. But social acceptability should have nothing to do with adoption of the child. If you want to rule out parents who may potentially cause the child to be bullied or subject to unhappiness then you will have almost 0 qualified parents. It is also a cowardly way out. Instead of giving the children a good and loving home and addressing the problem of bullying and acceptance, you would rather keep the children in a foster home which is known to be worse than being adopted in many cases.
Reply 762
Original post by minimarshmallow
The child will be open to bullying and unhappiness with a straight couple. Or if it stays in care. This is not an argument.

no, but a child is 'asking for it' (horrible way to put it) if they have two mums/ two dads. It's setting the child up for bullying before they've even been adopted. Like I said, I am happy for gay couples to adopt, but it just worries me thinking about the difficulties these children are likely to encounter, because for many Brits (unfortunately) it's not sociably acceptable. By all means it's up to the couple in the end, but I hope this is something they would seriously consider. Also children stay in care, regardless of the couples available.
Exactly!
It is literally just the title that seems to make him think it supports his side. And the title is sensationalised in order to make people click on it.
I actually did have a seminar on this. We read a journal article about imitating violent TV shows, and then a Telegraph article that reported on the article, and it didn't sound like the Telegraph people had even read the article!
Reply 764
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I agree that the child is what's important. But social acceptability should have nothing to do with adoption of the child. If you want to rule out parents who may potentially cause the child to be bullied or subject to unhappiness then you will have almost 0 qualified parents. It is also a cowardly way out. Instead of giving the children a good and loving home and addressing the problem of bullying and acceptance, you would rather keep the children in a foster home which is known to be worse than being adopted in many cases.

I just think it's something that has to be seriously kept in mind, but I'm all for offering support if that's what you want to do.
of course they should! the end.
Original post by Frey
no, but a child is 'asking for it' (horrible way to put it) if they have two mums/ two dads. It's setting the child up for bullying before they've even been adopted. Like I said, I am happy for gay couples to adopt, but it just worries me thinking about the difficulties these children are likely to encounter, because for many Brits (unfortunately) it's not sociably acceptable. By all means it's up to the couple in the end, but I hope this is something they would seriously consider. Also children stay in care, regardless of the couples available.

And yet I know a guy who has two mums who hasn't ever been bulled for it, so ruling out gay parents because of a possibility is not a good strategy.
Are you also opposed to gingers adopting? Fat people adopting? People who don't wear designed clothes adopting? All of these are reasons people can get bullied, and in your own words (and I know what you mean even if it's phrased badly) would be 'asking for it'.
Edit: This sounds a lot like I'm attacking you, I'm not meaning to. I'm just trying to point out why this argument is flawed and you don't need to worry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 767
Well then there we go. It's just my own personal worry, and not my choice in the end. If a gay couple chooses to adopt I'd be more than happy to support them.
Original post by Frey
I just think it's something that has to be seriously kept in mind, but I'm all for offering support if that's what you want to do.

I'm not saying that you don't want to offer support. But your reasoning is flawed. As anyone with 'nerdy' parents, or 'embarrassing' parents, or red-headed parents, or any other number of kinds of parents have the potential to get bullied in school. But that doesn't make them unfit parents nor does it mean the child wouldn't be well off with them. It means society has some issues and those need to be addressed.
Reply 769
Original post by minimarshmallow
And yet I know a guy who has two mums who hasn't ever been bulled for it, so ruling out gay parents because of a possibility is not a good strategy.
Are you also opposed to gingers adopting? Fat people adopting? People who don't wear designed clothes adopting? All of these are reasons people can get bullied, and in your own words (and I know what you mean even if it's phrased badly) would be 'asking for it'.

But homosexuality, unfortunately, is a serious social no for a lot of people in Britain still, you can't put it in the same league as what you've just listed.

I know it's not a good strategy, and I do wish for gay couples to adopt and for people to be happy with it. But, if it wasn't such a problem, this thread wouldn't be here in the first place. I'm not denying that they make great parents (which I know they do) and claiming that every child would get bullied; there are lots of great stats, but unfortunately, in Britain, it's still a fairly ugly social norm not to see it as acceptable, and this does have it's adverse consequences on the children in question.
Durham law guy again!!! :biggrin:

What logical reason is there that another mother solves the lack of father?

..... This was the worst response ever. Did you even consider what was being asked? Just because a heterosexual adopts doesn't mean that a role model will be present. He asked why shouldn't heterosexual couples also have to prove that they can and will provide a role model?

Both parents being present for reasonable time should apply to everyone. Extra people are only required when on gender is missing.

Of course, this entire discussion on role models is completely irrelevant so I have no idea why you continually bring it up -- same-sex family research has never found that a child in a same-sex family home is in any way worse off than their heterosexual counterparts. This includes, but is not limited to, the child having everything a child needs (which includes your insistence on a role model). What part of this do you not understand?

I trust the research without political motivation over yours as it is combined with my own experience and conventional wisdom. Your increasingly shrill protestations over its supposed irrelevance arent backed up by any sort of rationale.
Reply 771
I'm not saying that you don't want to offer support. But your reasoning is flawed. As anyone with 'nerdy' parents, or 'embarrassing' parents, or red-headed parents, or any other number of kinds of parents have the potential to get bullied in school. But that doesn't make them unfit parents nor does it mean the child wouldn't be well off with them. It means society has some issues and those need to be addressed.

see my reply to minimarshmallow.
Original post by green.tea

*yawn* the role model doesn't need to be a parent. How many times?

Both parents being present for reasonable time should apply to everyone. Extra people are only required when on gender is missing.

So only straight couples where neither parent works should be allowed to adopt?

I trust the research without political motivation over yours as it is combined with my own experience and conventional wisdom. Your increasingly shrill protestations over its supposed irrelevance arent backed up by any sort of rationale.

Psychological research is done out of interest, usually by universities. Sure, it might have to be something that is politically relevant in order to get funding for a larger study - but my research is not being funded by anyone and it's still getting done. But it doesn't matter where the funding is from, the results will be the results, whether it is what the politicians or the companies providing the funding want to hear or not.

And research about single-parent families is not relevant to same-sex families, because they're not the same. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that?
(edited 11 years ago)

What logical reason couldn't another mother solve that? Not to mention that why it is the way it is, doesn't matter. The fact is homosexual couple's who are parents raise kids that turn out just as well as heterosexual couple's who raise kids. End of discussion. Can you show otherwise? No? Then there is no reason for them not to be able to adopt. :smile:

That's blatantly not true. Just because a father is present doesn't mean that he will be used as a role-model nor does it mean he will be a good role-model. But again this is irrelevant because nothing says you need two parents of opposite genders.

And which research is that? The research that the government used and The Prince's Trust, which allow for homosexuals to adopt? What research supports your own biases? Not to mention I have shown you how your common sense is wrong. :smile: Also your own experience as you described it proves our point. You didn't have a father, yet here you are perfectly functional and for all intents and purposes a 'normal' and well adjusted person. You are a perfect example of why a father is not needed :smile:
Original post by Frey
But homosexuality, unfortunately, is a serious social no for a lot of people in Britain still, you can't put it in the same league as what you've just listed.

I know it's not a good strategy, and I do wish for gay couples to adopt and for people to be happy with it. But, if it wasn't such a problem, this thread wouldn't be here in the first place. I'm not denying that they make great parents (which I know they do) and claiming that every child would get bullied; there are lots of great stats, but unfortunately, in Britain, it's still a fairly ugly social norm not to see it as acceptable, and this does have it's adverse consequences on the children in question.

For starters, I just want to point out that I am not trying to be obstinate or arguable, and I appreciate that you support homosexual's rights to adopt. However on your points, there are also plenty of stereotypes for some of the qualities that both mini and I suggested. And kids are very commonly bullied for them. The point is that just because a child may get bullied isn't a reason to deny them an otherwise good home.
No it doesn't. I said we undertand how families work. I didn't say we know everything. However we do understand how homosexual parents affect outcomes of children. They don't. Studies have this over and over again. We understand and know this. And then of course it has been observed that same-sex adoption happens in nature so we aren't really tampering with anything.

You said we understand how children and families work. We dont fully understand those things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_synchrony

That is what The Prince's Trust says. The rest was all interpretation by the Daily Mail which is not a very reliable or credible source is it? :rolleyes: Show me where she says children need male or female role models. She didn't? Hm..what did she say? ‘It is nothing less than a tragedy that so many young people feel they don’t have a role model.
‘We should not underestimate the impact a positive adult influence can have on a young person.
....so....adult influence. Gender neutral. A role model. Non specified gender...Show me where The Prince's Trust says you need a male or female role model again? :rolleyes: We went over this already.

EDIT: Just to clarify, nowhere in the article did it state the role models had to be a parent either. Merely that there should be one. :smile: So again saying that homosexuals don't fill the role model is irrelevant as it doesn't have to be the parents.

The study was done on those that lacked the parent role model :confused:

I dont see why the mails right wing bias makes them worse than you and your left wing one.
Reply 776
For starters, I just want to point out that I am not trying to be obstinate or arguable, and I appreciate that you support homosexual's rights to adopt. However on your points, there are also plenty of stereotypes for some of the qualities that both mini and I suggested. And kids are very commonly bullied for them. The point is that just because a child may get bullied isn't a reason to deny them an otherwise good home.

Well then, if that's your view, which I'm afraid I have my reservations about, then there's no problem and you should adopt. If you think you can provide a child with a good enough home and care, you should fight for it, and not be caring what others think! good luck :smile:
You said we understand how children and families work. We dont fully understand those things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_synchrony

Explain to me how that link was relevant? And saying we understand doesn't mean we know everything (or as you say 'fully understand') :rolleyes: How many times do I need to repeat myself?

The study was done on those that lacked the parent role model :confused:

hahaha and what was the conclusion, even by your right-wing bias? That they needed parental role models? No. It was that they need good role models. :smile: So now please stop using the same crap.

I dont see why the mails right wing bias makes them worse than you and your left wing one.

The mails bias was shown because it inferred things from the data that it couldn't infer. Not because it was right wing. What left wing bias do I have? What biased source have I provided?
Reply 778
Original post by Frey

A child is open to bullying no matter what their circumstances, so we would have to stop all adoption if we were waiting until there was no chance of bullying.
I kinda like the slightly warped person ive become. Although im a difficult person to be, i like my style. Id have achieved more tho. In my experience kids like I was become the attention seeking class clowns and grow into witty interesting sorts. And so are likable to others and to themselves. But difficult to be. I guess such things are the reason people who seem brilliant sometimes implode in one way or another.

Glad to see you're happy with who you are. That's all anyone can ask.

Perhaps a lack of a father figure didn't have the affect you thought it did?

A mixed gender couple wouldnt have to show they could provide opposite gender role models.

That's not really what I asked, but okay.

That being said, why shouldn't they have to?

Having thought about the suicide thing i think it largely down to the "gotta be one of the lads. what are you doing with those flowers, thats gay." kinda attitude which obviously I have experienced, and completely ignored if im honest. Class clowning earns leeway. But a couple of high profile openly gay footballers is the thing i think would change that the most. You'd be right to take issue with the sort of cretin that runs that game.

It's more to do with a heteronormative society that makes young lgbt teens feel like 'other', it's not a nice feeling.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending