The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2940
According to the BBC both Djokovic and Nadal have threatened to boycott the event next year if they do not return to traditional clay.

It certainly doesn't seem like a very popular move from the organisers!

Also Federer will become world #2 if he wins this tournament now.
Original post by Kado
According to the BBC both Djokovic and Nadal have threatened to boycott the event next year if they do not return to traditional clay.

That would sure make the RG draw exciting. I'd love to see Federer vs Murray and Rafa vs Djokovic in the semi's!
Reply 2942
Original post by Kado

I hope they do. Then Fred can pick up another clay MS. Ion Tiriac is the true GOAT.

Tiriac should dye the clay a pinkish-red, make the outer edges and the lines green and make the ballgirls dress in black.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hopefully Federer wins the tournement!
Original post by Kado
Nadal loses 63, 36, 75 to Verdasco after serving for the match twice. Oops.

I think this blue clay has the potential to throw up a few more surprises, neither Djokovic or Federer looked overly comfortable on it in their first games. Could be an interesting tournament.

strange to see nadal lose so early even on this blue clay, out of the top 3, he looked the best in the 1st round, winning 6-2 6-2 (or something like that) which compares to federer and djokovic who both dropped a set
Certainly a shocking result from Nadal and Federer looks like he could well pounce (he is only defending a R3 result in Rome as well).

Fed took 58 minutes to demolish Gasquet today so in fine form as is Del potro.

Looks to me like a Federer vs Del potro final again which would i think be the 4th this year.
(edited 11 years ago)
I didn't watch the match so tell me, what was the issue with Nadal?

I understand he didn't like the blue clay and neither do most BUT he was also quite a bit ahead so it's still a poor performance or just a one-off?
Reply 2947
Original post by Michael XYZ
I didn't watch the match so tell me, what was the issue with Nadal?

I understand he didn't like the blue clay and neither do most BUT he was also quite a bit ahead so it's still a poor performance or just a one-off?

Nadal is in decline. In a perfect world, they would raise the net 2 metres, use bigger balls and allow on-court coaching and special ball-boys that could wipe your butt for you after every point.

If he loses early in Rome then it would imply that it isn't just the blue clay that is the problem.

I really hope Tiriac gets his fluorescent balls on blue clay wish. A tournament without Nadal, what a privilege!!
Interestingly Del Potro it turns out has not lost a single on clay this year.
Reply 2949
Djokovic loses 76, 63 to Janko Tipsarvic, this blue clay sure is making it interesting! Del Potro is looking the most comfortable on this surface.
When was the last time neither Nadal nor Djokovic were in a final?
Original post by Kado
Djokovic loses 76, 63 to Janko Tipsarvic, this blue clay sure is making it interesting! Del Potro is looking the most comfortable on this surface.
When was the last time neither Nadal nor Djokovic were in a final?

indian wells a couple months back
Reply 2951
Another title for Federer with a massive asterisk beside it.
Both Ion Tiriac and Santana have admitted to problems with the court and with both Nadal and Djokovic out before the semi-finals they could well be looking at a tournament without either of them next year if they uphold their intention to boycott the tournament. I haven't heard a single positive thing about the court among several players and it does appear that it is too slippery even for the best movers on the tour. Disastrous first year on the blue clay.

Would love for Delpo to win the whole thing now but looks like it is Federer's to lose.
an update on some british success this week

Oliver Golding won another futures in newcastle this week convisingly 75 61 and moves well inside the top 500

Jamie baker beat a top 90 player in a challenger in athens and closing in on the top 200 (woudnt be surprised if he does well at one of queens/eastbourn/wimby this year

jamie dalgado and ken skupski WON a doubles challenger

Also Oli is now higher ranked than a certain Tim Henman was at his age and he turned into an alright player!
Didn't expect Berd to get this far, hadn't paid attention to him all week but looking back he's had a string of good wins. Delpo let himself down in the tiebreaks. I'm still not particularly optimistic about Fed's chances, he wasn't that great against Ferrer, plus his non-confirmation of playing Rome is worrying me a bit.
Reply 2955
Rome draw out. Nadal-Raonic 2nd round matchup. Hopefully Raonic can denadalise the tournament!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Internazionali_BNL_d%27Italia_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles
Fed vs Berdych for the Madrid title, Fed wins and he equalises Nadal's record and becomes number 2.
Reply 2957
Sexi Rogi blue clay GOAT.
yeah! Federer won and is no. 2 :biggrin:
Reply 2959
Original post by Katharos703
yeah! Federer won and is no. 2 :biggrin:

For about a week :tongue:

Nah I hope he plays Rome and does well, I want to see him return to #1 one day, even if it's only for a few weeks.

This is beginning to feel like the Federer Renaissance, which is perfect for me since I've been a fan of his since 2001 but only at Wimbledon. 2008 was the first year I became aware of non BBC live streaming, and do you know what my first ever non Wimbledon tennis match was?

...the 2008 French Open Final. Jesus that was a wake up call :eek:

Latest