The Student Room Group

Which A-level grades do you consider to be good? (POLL)

Poll

Which A-level grades are good?

There seem to be an array of differing opinions as to which A-level grades can be considered good - some people maintain that any less than AAA is a failure while others say thay CCC is a good level.

What do you say, TSR?

Scroll to see replies

A*A*A* or above... :eyeball:
Original post by ritchie888
A*A*A* or above... :eyeball:

I would imagine something like 20% of people on TSR get those grades, so it seemed worthwhile to include it.
For me, I'd be happy with 2 B's and an A. :smile:
Reply 4
the thing is, obviously BBB is good. CCC would be fair. However, I would be unhappy if I got any of those because that's simply below the requirements of the course I want to do.

Do you see why this thread is a bit silly?
Reply 5
I think an A in the subject you like the most or take an interest in the most and 2 B grades in your other subjects is good :smile:
This thread is pretty unclear. Are you asking what A-level grades would be good for each one of us personally. Or what we think is the minimum from anyone to be considered to have good A level grades?
Original post by hassi94
This thread is pretty unclear. Are you asking what A-level grades would be good for each one of us personally. Or what we think is the minimum from anyone to be considered to have good A level grades?

The latter.
Reply 8
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I would imagine something like 20% of people on TSR get those grades, so it seemed worthwhile to include it.

20% on TSR get A*A*A* and above, what are you smoking?

For me good grades are 3B's and above. I got ABC btw lol.
Original post by pbsjohnz
20% on TSR get A*A*A* and above, what are you smoking?

For me good grades are 3B's and above. I got ABC btw lol.

It doesn't seem that odd to me. Quite a few people seem to have grades in that range.
It doesn't seem that odd to me. Quite a few people seem to have grades in that range.

It's disproportionate but I definitely wouldn't say 20%.
Given that Michael Gove has been pushing for no cap on students with AAB grades I suspect that the government is trying to say 'this is the gold standard'. Personally I think ABB and anything above is excellent. BBB is very good, CCC satisfactory, and anything below that unsatisfactory/poor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I would say ABB, with an A in the subject you want to go into, or better I'd consider good grades on the grounds they'll get you to minimum a top 50 uni. How ever there's actually very little difference between an A student and a B student in most A level courses so I wouldn't discount say BBB.
Original post by HighestKungFu
Given that Michael Gove has been pushing for no cap on students with AAB grades I suspect that the government is trying to say 'this is the gold standard'. Personally I think ABB and anything above is excellent. BBB is very good and anything below that good/satisfactory.

Eh? So UUU is good? :lolwut:
Reply 14
Done AS and got UUU and I am doing A2 this june and I am sure I will get UUU so I will say CCC is good.
I have learned that hard work is useless at-least.
Eh? So UUU is good? :lolwut:

Lol I tried to edit that before anyone quoted me but alas you beat me to it haha. Obviously it isn't :rolleyes:
Original post by Luffy.
Done AS and got UUU and I am doing A2 this june and I am sure I will get UUU so I will say CCC is good.
I have learned that hard work is useless at-least.

Work smarter not harder.
Reply 17
Your grades are only 'good' if they reflect that you've worked hard. One person can be chuffed with 3Cs but someone else might feel they slacked but still got 3As. There's no universal good grade, it's really dependent on how hard you've worked and other circumstances that might have impacted on your grades. So if you were going through tough times but got Bs I'd say that was pretty good.
Original post by Tilly87
Your grades are only 'good' if they reflect that you've worked hard. One person can be chuffed with 3Cs but someone else might feel they slacked but still got 3As. There's no universal good grade, it's really dependent on how hard you've worked and other circumstances that might have impacted on your grades. So if you were going through tough times but got Bs I'd say that was pretty good.

I don't agree.

Your grades aren't suddenly 'worse' somehow if you got AAA but didn't work hard to get them, nor are they any better if you worked very hard but got CCC - arguably they are worse, because you actually tried and still got poor grades.
Reply 19
I'm heading for AAA despite doing barely any work in an entire 2 years. So for me good would be pretty high.

It's all dependent on the person though, some people just aren't as good at exams or holding/ regurgitating large amounts of information. Sadly i'm good at this but not particularly intelligent or hard working.

Quick Reply

Latest