The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

What is Glasgow Caledonian really like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ddaannyyeell
Does anyone know what happens if you slightly don't meet the requirement in your condition? is it lost or is there a chance of still being accepted? for example if you attend the summer school if there is such thing at GCU... just curious :smile:

This is a really good question!!! I would like to know the same :smile: If i eventually hear back... haha
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
Original post by Scottishgal
Aww well done:biggrin: Happy for yah!!! I still have heard nothing....called them and they said a you should hear in easter hols or have up to start of May to decide! APARENTLY it's quite normal not to hear anything yet...yeah right!! I'm like feck off hahah. Will let you know once I ever hear anything back lols.

Thanks! :biggrin: aww not good, hopefully you hear back soon! Haha, yeah Cali are usually quite late in replying. Yeah, let me know when you hear!
Original post by INTERPOL
Got a conditional offer from Glasgow Cale today for Psychology & Interactive Entertainment :biggrin:
Need a B and C this year :smile:

Awesome! I got my unconditional for that yesterday night :biggrin: Maybe I'll see you there ^__^
Reply 63
I have a conditional for GCU for Forensic Investigation and was wondering if anyone can tell about the course at GCU and if it is a good course. Also how are the lectures.

Reply 64
Is anyone applying for/studying Media & Communication at Cali? I consider applying for this course but I would like to know if it´s really as good as it sounds on the website.
Reply 65
Original post by Miss Trololol
Awesome! I got my unconditional for that yesterday night :biggrin: Maybe I'll see you there ^__^

Thanks! and Well Done! :biggrin:

Well I have this as my insurance, as I need 3 B's to do Psychology at Cale which is my firm :smile:

So yea might see you there :P
Reply 66
Original post by greymoon
Is anyone applying for/studying Media & Communication at Cali? I consider applying for this course but I would like to know if it´s really as good as it sounds on the website.

I firmed this course for september. It sounds really good and I only heard good things about it - let's hope it can live up to the reputation :cool:
Ask me again in December :wink:
Reply 67
Any optom applicants ?
Does anyone know how many toilets there are in a non en suite room, never got to see accom as I was on vision science tour. X
Hello. Is anyone applying for/studying Fashion Branding at Glasgow Caledonian Uni? I consider applying for this course but I would like to know more. :smile:
Original post by remuskittles
Hello. Is anyone applying for/studying Fashion Branding at Glasgow Caledonian Uni? I consider applying for this course but I would like to know more. :smile:

Hi, I've applied for it and received a conditional offer, not quite sure if I am going yet but if there are any questions you'd like answered you can ask me and I'll do my best to answer them :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by StineS
I firmed this course for september. It sounds really good and I only heard good things about it - let's hope it can live up to the reputation :cool:
Ask me again in December :wink:

I firmed for Media & Communication, too. So hopefully we will meet in September!
(edited 11 years ago)

hi :smile: i've just finished my first year of media and communications...it's a really great course and covers so many aspects of the media that you'll definitely find something that interests you to take further...i'd say it's not as challenging as i'd like and there's no exams in first year, just coursework, but you normally don't start it until half way through the semester...so you have one half really bored, and the other stressed out your mind!

but it is a great course - really enjoyable, not too many hours in the week so plenty of time to party etc :tongue:...you'll enjoy it :smile:
Reply 72
buttercup11, thanks for the info :smile: I will have enough time for my other projects than :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by buttercup11

but it is a great course - really enjoyable, not too many hours in the week so plenty of time to party etc :tongue:...you'll enjoy it :smile:

sounds good :biggrin:
Reply 74
Original post by buttercup11
hi :smile: i've just finished my first year of media and communications...it's a really great course and covers so many aspects of the media that you'll definitely find something that interests you to take further...i'd say it's not as challenging as i'd like and there's no exams in first year, just coursework, but you normally don't start it until half way through the semester...so you have one half really bored, and the other stressed out your mind!

thank you very much :smile: so you would recommend this course...?!
what modules are covered in the first year and how are the lectures? Sorry for asking so many questions :frown:
thank you very much :smile: so you would recommend this course...?!
what modules are covered in the first year and how are the lectures? Sorry for asking so many questions :frown:

yeah i'd recommend it :smile: first semester you cover structures and history of the media, which is basically just the history of the press, tv, radio etc - the coursework includes an essay and a presentation and a 'class test' (short essay style answers on three questions))...you do radio production which is very hands-on (you work in the radio studio in the uni) - coursework includes recording a short radio show in a group and a 'listening diary' which is listening to different radio shows/stations and analysing them...you also do sociology (most boring two hour lectures ever - after the second week no one ended up going, they just read the lecture notes at home!) - for this you do an essay and a collection of short analysis' of texts...nothing too challenging...

second semester you do media analysis (essay, presentation and portfolio of short analysis'), Public Relations (mostly group work coursework) and Information and Communications (basically just social media stuff, very easy and it's just 2 hours of class a week - for this you get to do your own blog which is 50% of the coursework and a presentation)

nothing challenging at all - do the extra reading for the seminars and that's it :smile:
Hi all, congratulations to all of you who got accepted! :smile: I got a conditional offer for Business studies and also International business studies at GCU... I got also an offer from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh (Business Management)... and now I don't know where to go

which uni do you think is better? I will appreciate any advice on this... thanks :wink:
Hi all, congratulations to all of you who got accepted! :smile: I got a conditional offer for Business studies and also International business studies at GCU... I got also an offer from Queen Margaret University in Edinburgh (Business Management)... and now I don't know where to go

which uni do you think is better? I will appreciate any advice on this... thanks :wink:

At the end of the day, it's really up to you. Don't accept a university just because everyone says it is better. What may work for some people may not work for you. Weigh up the pros and cons of each (Such as location, living costs, teaching standards, course content etc) and make your decision that way - It's your choice.
Original post by Miss Trololol
At the end of the day, it's really up to you. Don't accept a university just because everyone says it is better. What may work for some people may not work for you. Weigh up the pros and cons of each (Such as location, living costs, teaching standards, course content etc) and make your decision that way - It's your choice.

yeah, I know :smile: the problem is, that I like both... I like the placement in the sandwich course of GCU...
however, I am a bit more fond of Queen Margaret (cause I really liked the campus and the general atmosphere there) but there is no such placement in the course and the living costs are a bit higher in Edinburgh than in Glasgow (this is a big plus)... living in Edinburgh would be nice though...

some people say that the "royalty name" of QMU is very attractive for potential future employers...

so I really have no clue :biggrin:
yeah, I know :smile: the problem is, that I like both... I like the placement in the sandwich course of GCU...
however, I am a bit more fond of Queen Margaret (cause I really liked the campus and the general atmosphere there) but there is no such placement in the course and the living costs are a bit higher in Edinburgh than in Glasgow (this is a big plus)... living in Edinburgh would be nice though...

some people say that the "royalty name" of QMU is very attractive for potential future employers...

so I really have no clue :biggrin:

Edinburgh is a beautiful city. One of my close friends goes to QMU and she really enjoys it. I liked the campus but I wasn't keen on the location (it wasn't very central, unlike GCU)

I can't say that I've ever heard of the royalty name being attractive to future employers to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest