The Student Room Group

Got into medical school - but still sad :(

I waited for 4 years, did a degree...all, just to get into medicine...now, i finally got into a medical school...yet I'm not sure why I'm not that happy :confused:

(I initially had tuition fees issues but that's resolved now. Finance is no longer an issue. And motivation is still there I think....)

Sometimes I wonder if I am scared of going to a medical school? I have never had excellent A* grades but was average/above average...but I always got through everything by luck or other way...now I've managed to get into medical school...it wasn't easy to get in but it wasn't as tough either...sometimes I feel I have just been lucky to get a place even though my interview was brilliant...but i feel like.. now I will be at a medical school and think my luck will no longer work its magic...and I'll probably be crap at everything while others will be way ahead...even those who've just come out of school...

i really don't know why i'm really just sad...i've got 4 months before i start medical school...bit of me is really excited and bit of me is nervous/sad...

any sensible tips/advice/insights/suggestions would be great x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I've seen a lot of people say on TSR, these feelings are completely normal. Just try to relax and look forward to it. Just to say though, you getting into medical school is obviously not a fluke. You earned it.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by xxsweetiepiexx
I waited for 4 years, did a degree...all, just to get into medicine...now, i finally got into a medical school...yet I'm not sure why I'm not that happy :confused:

(I initially had tuition fees issues but that's resolved now. Finance is no longer an issue. And motivation is still there I think....)

Sometimes I wonder if I am scared of going to a medical school? I have never had excellent A* grades but was average/above average...but I always got through everything by luck or other way...now I've managed to get into medical school...it wasn't easy to get in but it wasn't as tough either...sometimes I feel I have just been lucky to get a place even though my interview was brilliant...but i feel like.. now I will be at a medical school and think my luck will no longer work its magic...and I'll probably be crap at everything while others will be way ahead...even those who've just come out of school...

i really don't know why i'm really just sad...i've got 4 months before i start medical school...bit of me is really excited and bit of me is nervous/sad...

Hey,

I know how you feel. I think it is just nerves before going to med school. I applied to med school and got a place on the grad entry course. About this time last year, I was also thinking if I should even go as I was worried I wouldn't be good enough and whether it was a mistake. It is natural to feel nervous. You have just committed yourself to 4/5 years of hard work while all your friends will be earning a living. Thing is, you need to remember why you applied to medicine in the first place. Now that I am here, I am so glad that I did go to med school in the end. I mean you could always go and see how you feel, but I am pretty sure it is just nerves. :smile:
I find that sometimes, when you've worked really hard for a really long time to get to a certain point, when you actually reach where you want to be and have time for a breather, it can feel like a bit of an anti-climax, or you might find yourself worrying more. Best thing to do is to give yourself something positive to do over the next few months so that, when you do go to med school, you feel as happy and confident about it as possible :smile:
Hey,
don't worry. Everything goes fine, doesn't it?
the way to get into a medic school is very hard and you might gave yourself too much pressure. just try to think like this, as long as you got a place, it means that the university think you have a great potential to be a good doctor. by obtaining a offer, it means that they think you are great, it not all about luck, it's your ability that make them think you are the right person that they want. so just don't try to think that negatively. :smile:
there are so many people who dreaming about getting into a medical school, well, like me:smile: and we all knows that how many works that we need to do in order to get into that world and i think we are all 'fighting' for it.
you've been one of the winner in this 'war' now, so just give yourself a little rest, probably have a little nice cup of tea and have a chat with your friends, it will gets better as times pass and all the thing that you left will be the excited feeling. :smile:
also, a big congratulation to your offer:tongue:
Reply 5
When you achieve a goal it quickly flows away due to something called hedonic adaptation. Basically, it means that once a human achieves something and feels really good about it, after a while it completely disappears. And it makes sense when you think about it because otherwise do people who have money, love, and success still complain and feel miserable?

On a personal note, I've experienced this quite often. But it's also a good thing as it encourages you to keep going on forever. If this feeling is strong within you then you will never be content to just sit down and watch the world turn. Now you are in decline, but when you identify your new goal - which I hope would be to become a practising doctor - you will be back on that road to success again.
Reply 6
Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I was more excited about the wait then the actual offer. Once I received it, there was predominantly apathy, at least for a short time. I would suggest not thinking about it for some time. Just forget that you're going to medical school, concentrate on other things and hopefully with time, the euphoria you once felt will return.

I'm sure it will once the weeks start closing in on the first day of classes!
Reply 7
Im in the same situation, in fact I would have started a post except you beat me to it. I too got a place at a med school recently, but looking back Im not sure it was worth it. I sacrificed so much to get to where I am - during my GCSEs for example - did I go and watch that new movie that had come out? no, I was too busy studying to get the grades. Did I want to celebrate my 18th birthday with my best friends? No, I was too busy worryig about my AS results. Did I want to spend some time with my family? No, I was studying for the UKCAT. I let everything go because I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but now, all that I've got to show for it is a piece of paper saying I got a place at some univeristy. I dont feel sad, I dont think I have any right to feel sad either, but I feel...nothing. Im waiting for a feeling of happiness that will never come.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's about time young people in this world started realising life is about the journey, not the destination.
Reply 9
Original post by Rooster523
I think it's about time young people in this world started realising life is about the journey, not the destination.

Truer words have never been written...
Sounds like paradise syndrome.

Maybe try to think about what you want most from life - happiness most probably - then try to visualize how your medical degree/becoming a doctor will help you to achieve that. So rather than seeing 'getting into medical school' as what should be making you feel happy, see it as a part of the jigsaw of your life and where it fits into your happiness.
Reply 11
Original post by pi=3
Im in the same situation, in fact I would have started a post except you beat me to it. I too got a place a med school recently, but looking back Im not sure it was worth it. I sacrified so much to get to where I am - during my GCSEs for example - did I go and watch that new movie that had come out? no, I was too busy studying to get the grades. Did I want to celebrate my 18th birthday with my best friends? No, I was too busy worryig about my AS results. Did I want to spend some time with my family? No, I was studying for the UKCAT. I let everything go because I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but now, all that I've got to show for it is a piece of paper saying I got a place at some univeristy. I dont feel sad, I dont think I have any right to feel sad either, but I feel...nothing. Im waiting for a feeling of happiness that will never come.

I couldnt agree with this more. (though i dont think i sacrificed my social life quite so much..) Like i always made sure I'd have just as much of a social life as the next person, if anything i was one of the most out-going! But personally this used to work for me as it would 'recharge my batteries' and i'd still find the time somewhere to fit in the work to produce the results.. this usually mean't less sleep and lots of coffee!

...yeah bit of an anticlimax. hopefully though come sept well be super excited!
Reply 12
I worked my butt off to get into medical school. Took years of stress. When I got in it was a massive anticlimax initially! Don't worry about it too much.

Maybe you have just realised that medical school isn't the holy grail it is made out to be?
Reply 14
People who get into medicine get in becasue the university knows that they will be able to deal with the workload. Only about 35% if people get an offer to study medicine. Yes luck is needed, but its not enough to get a place looking at those stats.

All I'm saying is if you got in you have thoroughly deserved the place!
Original post by pi=3
Im in the same situation, in fact I would have started a post except you beat me to it. I too got a place at a med school recently, but looking back Im not sure it was worth it. I sacrificed so much to get to where I am - during my GCSEs for example - did I go and watch that new movie that had come out? no, I was too busy studying to get the grades. Did I want to celebrate my 18th birthday with my best friends? No, I was too busy worryig about my AS results. Did I want to spend some time with my family? No, I was studying for the UKCAT. I let everything go because I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but now, all that I've got to show for it is a piece of paper saying I got a place at some univeristy. I dont feel sad, I dont think I have any right to feel sad either, but I feel...nothing. Im waiting for a feeling of happiness that will never come.

Thats exactly the feeling I have at the moment. But knowing that by putting all this hard work in will one day help someone who really need it when im a doctor kinda compensates for the feeling i guess
Reply 16

I had a total panic just before applying for med school. I'd done a gap year, was finishing my degree and had done a years volunteering just to be able to get in and suddenly didn't even know if I was about to make a huge mistake. Turned out it was just momentary stress. I know exactly how you are feeling though. It's a big step and you've worked hard to get in and suddenly you're shocked to have got in somehow (because I still maintain admission is still a black box of sorts).

I'd advise you to have a break of some sorts and chill- after all you have time. It'll help reassemble your thoughts and readjust your emotions. Your reasons and motivation will still be there whilst you're doing that and it'll be easier to remember why you're doing it. And trust me in saying that they won't just let you drop out by doing badly once you're there without some semblance of a fight. I assume you're going on a GEP course so everyone else will be in the same boat and will help you as well, otherwise you'll just have to seek out the other graduates :tongue:
I got into medicine and then decided to do something different.

People need to realise that people are pushed in the direction of medicine at a very young age by their own ambitions or by parents/school and so on. Medicine is not a holy grail, and is in many ways a very, very boring course, and in many ways a depressing job that is not what it once in terms of pay and status.
Reply 18
So glad to see all these comments on here!

I've gone from elation when I got an offer to what feels like indifference while I wait for September to come around. I'm wondering now if it's the right choice or whether maintaining the status quo (working in IT) is what I should be doing.

I know the answer is "going to med school", but a crippling fear of change coupled with an inferiority complex means my mind's all muddled!

Keeping a mental image of me in a white coat, stethoscope around my neck and a "Dr Adam" neon sign above my head helps :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Cyanohydrin
I got into medicine and then decided to do something different.

People need to realise that people are pushed in the direction of medicine at a very young age by their own ambitions or by parents/school and so on. Medicine is not a holy grail, and is in many ways a very, very boring course, and in many ways a depressing job that is not what it once in terms of pay and status.

Just curious, what have you decided to do instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending