The Student Room Group

C2 Differentiation (optimisation/shapes)

For the shapes (optimisation) problems which formulas do you need to know? i.e which shape formulas?

Do not tell me to look at the specification or the official book. I wouldn't be posting here if they were in either of them.

Board: Edexcel
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Which board is this for? My first thought would be to look in the specification too, so if you haven't found it there then there's not a lot I can suggest. Another option is to take every formula that's come up at least once on a past paper or in a textbook question and treat it as examinable, although that's not the perfect solution.

I know I've always found the volume/surface area of a sphere hard to remember as they're not that obvious, so you can use this rule to help remember them:

To get from area of a circle to circumference, differentiate with respect to r.
To get from volume of a sphere to surface area, differentiate with respect to r.

But note that in general this doesn't work with other shapes.
Reply 2
perimeters & areas of: rectangles, squares, triangles, circles and compound shapes of any of them
surface areas and volumes of: cuboids, cylinders and prisms.
It's a test of your calculus skills not your shape skills.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ttoby
Which board is this for? My first thought would be to look in the specification too, so if you haven't found it there then there's not a lot I can suggest. Another option is to take every formula that's come up at least once on a past paper or in a textbook question and treat it as examinable, although that's not the perfect solution.

I know I've always found the volume/surface area of a sphere hard to remember as they're not that obvious, so you can use this rule to help remember them:

To get from area of a circle to circumference, differentiate with respect to r.
To get from volume of a sphere to surface area, differentiate with respect to r.

But note that in general this doesn't work with other shapes.

Board is Edexcel
Reply 4
Circles and all the other shapes.

But in the MEI board, most of the questions on these come with the formulas like volume/surface area of a cone or something.
Reply 5
Original post by Kravez
Board is Edexcel

I had a look at their C2 papers for the past few years. You'll need these:

Area of sector
Area of a circle
Volume of cuboid
Surface area of a cuboid
Area of triangle (0.5*base*height and 0.5absinC)
Length of arc
Volume/surface area of a prism/cylinder
Sine rule
Cosine rule
SOHCAHTOA
Pythagorus
Reply 6
Original post by ttoby
I had a look at their C2 papers for the past few years. You'll need these:

Area of sector
Area of a circle
Volume of cuboid
Surface area of a cuboid
Area of triangle (0.5*base*height and 0.5absinC)
Length of arc
Volume/surface area of a prism/cylinder
Sine rule
Cosine rule
SOHCAHTOA
Pythagorus

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest