The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by rommy123
Thats the same with me, i know all the work but in the exams i cant apply it :/

So am I . I understand s1 FULLY. Yet in the exam, I really do not no what happens to me. I'm also in A2. wow, 1 week tomorrow. hopefully pressure wont get to me and s1 is a nice paper and we all do well.
Anyone else finding probability a complete *****? I can't seem to get most of the questions right Dx
Reply 142
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Anyone else finding probability a complete *****? I can't seem to get most of the questions right Dx

Easiest part of S1 in my opinion :confused:
Hi,

How do you do question 7 for January 2011 S1?

I don't get it; a lot of other probability questions i get right, but this one is hard!

There's no tuitorial for this paper on examsolutions either :/
Original post by shahofiran
Hi,

How do you do question 7 for January 2011 S1?

I don't get it; a lot of other probability questions i get right, but this one is hard!

There's no tuitorial for this paper on examsolutions either :/

Which part do you need help on?

What have you tried?
Original post by raheem94
Which part do you need help on?

What have you tried?

Part a and how they get the numbers (i get how to solve the numbers given in the tree diagram, it's just 1 - whatever number given) but the others i dont get :s-smilie:

Also, are P(A) and P(B) independent?
Part a and how they get the numbers (i get how to solve the numbers given in the tree diagram, it's just 1 - whatever number given) but the others i dont get :s-smilie:

Also, are P(A) and P(B) independent?

Part (a) has nothing difficult, you just need to consider the events.

Example:
Q has 4 red and 3 yellow.
So if we pick out 2 red balls from P, then Q will contain, 6(=4+2) red balls and 3 yellow ball. So the probability of getting the red will be 6/9 = 2/3.
Part (a) has nothing difficult, you just need to consider the events.

Example:
Q has 4 red and 3 yellow.
So if we pick out 2 red balls from P, then Q will contain, 6(=4+2) red balls and 3 yellow ball. So the probability of getting the red will be 6/9 = 2/3.

Ok, but which side of the tree probability diagram is for Q and for P?

That's what i don't get.

thanks
Ok, but which side of the tree probability diagram is for Q and for P?

That's what i don't get.

thanks

Look at the diagram below:

The red box if for picking out a ball from P, the green box is for picking out the second ball from P, the blue box is for picking out the ball from Q.
Reply 149
Original post by InadequateJusticex

thats the only topic i find really hard!
Reply 150
Original post by stuck18
So am I . I understand s1 FULLY. Yet in the exam, I really do not no what happens to me. I'm also in A2. wow, 1 week tomorrow. hopefully pressure wont get to me and s1 is a nice paper and we all do well.

Im doing As, I got a C in my mock but really want A/B
Look at the diagram below:

The red box if for picking out a ball from P, the green box is for picking out the second ball from P, the blue box is for picking out the ball from Q.

Thanks so much!

It's easy lol, but when i saw it for the first time i was life WTF!?!?!?!?! :P

Can't believe this question alone makes up just over 20% of the paper.
Reply 152
Anyone else doing S1 and D1 on the same day? Which are you doing first?

I'm not sure which to do first, any ideas??
Reply 153
Original post by Zhy

im not doin both but i would do your weakest exam first.
I HATE S1! i took stats instead of mechanics because it was supposed to be the 'easier' one...it's so horrible, i hate that if you get one part of the question wrong then the whole question is wrong and you end up with a D :|
Reply 155
Original post by anniemcgarvie
I HATE S1! i took stats instead of mechanics because it was supposed to be the 'easier' one...it's so horrible, i hate that if you get one part of the question wrong then the whole question is wrong and you end up with a D :|

This does not happen if it only happens with one question. There are error carried forward marks for cases like this. If you are getting a D it is probably for another reason.
Reply 156
Original post by Zhy

I'm doing D1 first because I hate it so much and just want to get rid of it as soon as possible...

It's infuriatingly boring.
Reply 157
Original post by J10
I'm doing D1 first because I hate it so much and just want to get rid of it as soon as possible...

It's infuriatingly boring.

But it's also quite easy... unfortunately you really have to concentrate in not making a silly error. Although there are lots of error carried forward marks (and for good reason) it's so easy to mess up something little on a bubble sort and not notice because it's surrounded by 50 other numbers.

M2 and D2 on the same day too :mad:
Original post by Zhy
This does not happen if it only happens with one question. There are error carried forward marks for cases like this. If you are getting a D it is probably for another reason.

Haha, that's harsh. My maths teacher is harsh and doesn't give you any carry-on marks, maybe the person you're replying to is in the same boat.
Reply 159
Original post by StudentAnon
Haha, that's harsh. My maths teacher is harsh and doesn't give you any carry-on marks, maybe the person you're replying to is in the same boat.

This is possible if it happened on multiple questions and was marked by a teacher... but to an examiner they won't be that harsh. They will not give you 0/10 if you got sinx = 4/5 instead of sinx = 3/5. You will most likely score more than half the marks (possibly only dropping one or two depending on the mark scheme).

Latest