The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who sucks at Psychometric Tests?

Hey,

So I've been filling out several job applications and usually get through the first stage, but then it's the dreaded psychometric tests.

Does anyone else struggle with these? For me, it's not necessarily the question is hard but moreso the time pressure. I understand why they do it, but sometimes I fail to answer all the questions and therefore don't progress through.

Anyone got any tips? I feel like the 'Spatial' tests are the worst!

Grrr, it feels like i'm never going to get a decent job at this rate.
Reply 1
Original post by ColdCase
Hey,

So I've been filling out several job applications and usually get through the first stage, but then it's the dreaded psychometric tests.

Does anyone else struggle with these? For me, it's not necessarily the question is hard but moreso the time pressure. I understand why they do it, but sometimes I fail to answer all the questions and therefore don't progress through.

Best bet is to get your hands on some SHL tests and practice. Tends to be very similar questions but with different numbers. If you find someone who's good at them to help you and show you how they work them out quickly that'll probably help.
Reply 2
Who passes them tests anyway? I only hear of people failing them and no one passing.
Reply 3
Original post by Bey Taco
Who passes them tests anyway? I only hear of people failing them and no one passing.

Well people generally don't have cause to make threads about passing them!

Psychometric tests tend to be based on percentile scores I believe. Therefore a company may choose to take through only the 80th percentile to the next stage for example, meaning 1 in 5 would pass. In this scenario your actual score doesn't matter on its own (it could be 50%, it could be 95%), it is your score relevant to your peers that matters.

They aren't that bad, just get some practice if you're struggling.
Original post by ColdCase
Hey,

I've done several of these and my tip is to practice, practice, practice!
Yes.

Is that the answer you wanted?
Reply 6
Original post by TurboCretin
Yes.

Is that the answer you wanted?

I doubt it's the answer he wanted, but as previously mentioned this isn't the case.

Practically every employer uses aptitude tests to thin out applications before the interview stage. I'm confident that there are more people not getting through the online testing stage of applications then there are people getting through. Otherwise, what's the point?
Original post by M1011
I doubt it's the answer he wanted, but as previously mentioned this isn't the case.

Practically every employer uses aptitude tests to thin out applications before the interview stage. I'm confident that there are more people not getting through the online testing stage of applications then there are people getting through. Otherwise, what's the point?

I was being facetious. The OP knew the answer before he asked the question.
Reply 8
Original post by TurboCretin
I was being facetious. The OP knew the answer before he asked the question.

Ah facetious, my apologies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending