The Student Room Group

What's people take on replica cars?

Would anyone buy a replica car/Has anyone got/had a replica car before?

Seen this golf on ebay replica, not too shabby actually.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-R32-REPLICA-MATT-BLACK-VW-GOLF-TDI-SE-2004-HPI-CLEAR-NO-RESERVE-/270971235141?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f1724eb45#ht_1259wt_1185
Reply 1
I only like a few. I remember seeing a Lambo replica and looked mint, would have fooled me just by looking at it.

But its problem, and the problem i think with replica cars is normally its missing the vital part of the car its trying to copy and thats the engine. The worse thing you can do though is finally upgrade the engine to the model in the replica, much cheaper just buying the higher end model.

People are going to realise its a replica when its performance doesnt match up to the badge.
It always makes me smile seeing cars with fake badges on them. I dont see why you have to fool people with the car you have. Most fans of the car you are trying to copy will realise its fake.
Reply 2
If you're going to replicate something why choose something as dull as a Golf? Replicas aren't my things personally, but if you're going to do it you might as well go for something that is really unusual. For what the guy spent making a 1.9 TD look like an R32 he can't have been far off being able to buy an R32 and then it's actually got the guts to go with the looks!
Reply 3
No thanks, I rather have the real thing and if I can't afford the real thing then I just find something else or wait till I could afford one.
I'm pretty sure you could get a better car for the same money as a replica. Considering replicas are of good cars i'm sure that anyone going after one would be appreciative of the cars and so would prefer a better car rather a poser's car.
Reply 5
Depends what you're trying to achieve?

If it's something like a GT40 or an AC cobra replica, why not?
Can't see the point of the golf, though? It's not like they are particularly expensive anyway?
Reply 6
Most kit cars are replicas, Westfield/Caterham/Dax/Tiger/MK Indy all replicas of the Lotus 7 to a degree.

Then as J.C. says you have the AC Cobra and GT40.

Then you can also get Jaguar XJ13 replicas. DROOL.

Ferrari replicas based on MR2s though? Not cool.
Reply 7
Original post by gbduo
Most kit cars are replicas, Westfield/Caterham/Dax/Tiger/MK Indy all replicas of the Lotus 7 to a degree.

Then as J.C. says you have the AC Cobra and GT40.

Then you can also get Jaguar XJ13 replicas. DROOL.

Ferrari replicas based on MR2s though? Not cool.

agree with you there. Someone round the corner has a MR2 based Ferrari replica, it just looks horrible, and is obviously too small to be an actual Fezza. Plus the disk brakes are tiny with the huge Ferrari rims on it. Looks silly.

kit cars, despite mostly being replicas are cool. Eagle Speedster....very cool.

Why make a replica of a car that wasn't particularly cool or good in the first place, or basing your replica on something that is never going to live up to the original, or even looks like it?

Anyone can spot a ferrari or lambo replica a mile off, they're way too narrow and short to be real.

Think we could possibly see some TVR based kit cars/replicas in the future with the way they're heading.
Reply 8
Original post by JC.
Depends what you're trying to achieve?

If it's something like a GT40 or an AC cobra replica, why not?
Can't see the point of the golf, though? It's not like they are particularly expensive anyway?

You're saying that on a student forum?!
Reply 9
Original post by scbond
You're saying that on a student forum?!

What are you objecting to, exactly?
Reply 10
Original post by JC.
What are you objecting to, exactly?

Most students can't afford a car, let alone run one. You're saying an R32 isn't exactly expensive?! Maybe you lost all sense of value when you got an MG?
Reply 11
Not a fan tbh, i'd much rather hae the proper thing.
Reply 12
Original post by M4LLY
Not a fan tbh, i'd much rather hae the proper thing.

Good luck obtaining one of these 'legitimately':

Although if you can make me one, I'll buy it. (I'm not even kidding.)
Reply 13
Original post by Profesh
Good luck obtaining one of these 'legitimately':

Although if you can make me one, I'll buy it. (I'm not even kidding.)

You got me there pal

Quick Reply

Latest