The Student Room Group

I ALWAYS wake up with a headache.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have late night or an early one or if I get a lie in or not I always wake up with a sore head. Its really achey and I feel just sort of sickly. Once im up for a half hour and had some breakfast etc it'll usually go away but not always. Other days I end up taking painkillers.

Does anyone else get this?

Is it a sign of a rubbish bed? Do I get severely dehydrated during the night? Is it cause I have my phone next to me through the night?

Any Ideas? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could be dehydration. What do you eat for breakfast? Lack of iron can also be a cause for headaches. It's actually pretty common if I'm not mistaken.

I think a rubbish bed would also give you more aches than just in the head, so maybe that can be excluded? The phone hypothesis is one I can't answer unfortunately.
Could be stress.
I'd go to the Doctor and check your blood pressure. It could be Hypertension, which plays a big part in strokes, heart attacks, heart failures etc.

One of it's main symptoms is waking up each morning with a head-ache.

That's all I got..
Reply 4
Do you drink a lot of coffee? I do and wake up with a headache in the morning because during the time I've been asleep I haven't had any coffee, once I've had a couple of cups the headache goes.

I have a problem I know :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Crêpe
Could be dehydration. What do you eat for breakfast? Lack of iron can also be a cause for headaches. It's actually pretty common if I'm not mistaken.

breakfast is generally whatever cereal has been on offer that week :smile:
Original post by Miracle Day
I'd go to the Doctor and check your blood pressure. It could be Hypertension, which plays a big part in strokes, heart attacks, heart failures etc..

Ep that sounds scary but last time I got a check up was like a year ago and I was ok then. Can Hypertension develop over a year I always thought it built up over years.

Original post by Shuv11
Do you drink a lot of coffee? ...:frown:

Not coffee or even really tea drinker so I dont think its that
Reply 6
How much do you drink throughout the day? You might be dehydrated from the day before. I usually put a bottle of water by my bed before I go to sleep and then I drink it as soon as I wake up so that by the time I get out of bed I've had a proper drink. It might help :smile:.
Original post by Tinberry

Ep that sounds scary but last time I got a check up was like a year ago and I was ok then. Can Hypertension develop over a year I always thought it built up over years.

Not coffee or even really tea drinker so I dont think its that

It can occur at any age, but if there's anyone in your family with a history of it there's more chance you'll develop it.
Couple of other things to consider...

Could you be sleeping on a slope with your head at the bottom - e.g. with no pillows? I did that once by accident in a tent and woke up with headaches, not fun.

Secondly, do you know if you snore at all? Obstructive sleep apnoea, although often associated with overweight older men can affect anyone. Basically you can't breathe during the night due to blocked airways so keep having mini-awakenings (that you don't realise you're having) due to lack of oxygen. Due to this oxygen starvation you can also wake up with a headache. If you feel tired and unrested after waking up in the mornings this might be something to consider.

I would definitely speak to your GP about your symptoms if drinking more before bed, cutting down on any caffeine products etc. isn't helping.
Reply 9
As far I know the bed isn't on a slope but I have 2 pillows. I am happy to say I dont snore which can be confirmed by several boyfriends including my current partner.
I guess a GP visit may be on the cards.
Reply 10
Maybe try some 5-HTP supplements, headaches could be due to a lack of serotonin. Though don't take them if you're on any anti-depressants.
Reply 11

Hmpfh, shouldn't be the iron then :P Although.... You say that when you wake up the headaches there and when you're out of there, eating, it's gone. Could it be a mild allergy against dust or so? Defo recommend seeing the doctor tho like you said you were probably going to.
Reply 12
As far I know the bed isn't on a slope but I have 2 pillows. I am happy to say I dont snore which can be confirmed by several boyfriends including my current partner.
I guess a GP visit may be on the cards.

I used to occasionally wake up with a mild headache but then I read that making sure the head and neck are properly supported is best and, since I started tucking the pillows into the crook of my neck, I've been fine.
Reply 13
It doesn't seem to matter if I have late night or an early one or if I get a lie in or not I always wake up with a sore head.
I used to wake up with a headache until I changed my pillows. I've always slept with 2 pillows but the ones I used were years old. I changed to silentnight ones and they are sooo soft.
I'm exactly the same. When I wake up in the morning it feels like I've been beaten up.
A lot of the time waking up with a headache is attributed to grinding your teeth in your sleep, especially in times of stress.
How long before you sleep do you eat and drink?? If its a while, perhaps a small snack and drink before going to bed might help... could be hunger/dehydration if you have a fast metabolism...
Reply 18
Original post by intermediary
A lot of the time waking up with a headache is attributed to grinding your teeth in your sleep, especially in times of stress.

Really? I dont grind my teeth though unless I do it very quietly so no one has ever heard.

Original post by Kabloomybuzz
How long before you sleep do you eat and drink?? If its a while, perhaps a small snack and drink before going to bed might help... could be hunger/dehydration if you have a fast metabolism...

My meal times are pretty all over the place because of where I work I never know when ill finish and often I work from 5pm til 12am(I dont get meal breaks at work) so I have to eat at 4 and then I just want to sleep when I get in. So this might be a big factor.
Reply 19
Try drinking a lot of water or milk before you go to bed. I'd also check with my doctor as well just to be on the safe side

Quick Reply