The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Just about to finish my first year

Afternoon TSR.

Next week I shall have my last exams of the year, meaning that my first year at the University of Hull will have finished.

As such, if there are any questions that you have about the English course, or Thwaite Hall then I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Now enough procrastination - I'd better do some revision if I'm gonna be here next year :smile:
Original post by SpySapper
Afternoon TSR.

Next week I shall have my last exams of the year, meaning that my first year at the University of Hull will have finished.

As such, if there are any questions that you have about the English course, or Thwaite Hall then I'll do my best to answer them :smile:

Now enough procrastination - I'd better do some revision if I'm gonna be here next year :smile:

Hi, good luck with the exams SpySapper. Have you enjoyed the course and did you find it harder than you thought it would be? Did you find (although it may not have been discussed) that people on your course generally had high A level grades in English or did they vary?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by majornongeek
Hi, good luck with the exams SpySapper. Have you enjoyed the course and did you find it harder than you thought it would be? Did you find (although it may not have been discussed) that people on your course generally had high A level grades in English or did they vary?

Heya, I'm not the OP but I graduated with a degree in English last year from Hull Uni so I might be able to help :smile:

The English department is brilliant at Hull uni... the course is incredibly enjoyable and you have a lot of freedom to pick the modules that interest you the most... there are very few modules that you have to do, and that's in your first year. It's definitely hard work, but no more than any other university course and the workload is spread out pretty fairly between presentations/essays etc so time management is pretty decent in comparison to other courses (like the sciences, which are apparently shocking with lumping deadlines together!)
As for grades, I personally got a B in English at A level and I think as a general rule you're expected to get at least a B in it, although Hull Uni is pretty good at make exceptions on grades if you have a strong personal statement/make a good impression upon them. Not many people discuss it though, not because it's a taboo or anything but more because it's just irrelevant once you're all there!

I hope this helps, if you want to know anything else at all then let me know!
Reply 3
Original post by majornongeek

I got a B in Combined English Literature and Language at A level, and there was a variation in the level of grades, but I think the lowest I know of is a person who got a C in English but great grades in everything else. Personally, I think a more important thing from A level is to have a varied portfolio - having just done my Renaissance Literature exam, I was glad that I studied History at A Level as the study of the Tudors provided a tonne of contextual material.

Is it harder than I thought it would be? No not really. It can be hard, but once you get to grips with the sort of stuff that you have to do, then it's fine. Or at least first year is. That said, I would definitely advise not leaving it until the night before the exam to read the books (ahem...)

Yeah I have enjoyed the course... even when I grumble about the books that we have to do. Some of the texts take a while to get in to, or require multiple readings. Strangley, I enjoyed reading "Utopia", a lot more than I thought I would - I thought it would be really dry and boring, but I laughed out loud at a couple of points.

Good luck!
I have also just finished my first year at Hull, however I am in the Scarborough campus, doing a BA in English Language & Literature. Which English course do you do SpySapper?
Reply 5
i love how hull consider everything not just grades :')
Reply 6
Just Single hons BA English here :smile:
Reply 7
HI!
I am from France and next year i'll be going to hull university in the business department. also i'll be living in thwaite hall. I would like to know if the atmosphere is good, if there are some events going on throughout the year? did you like it in thwaite?
Did anyone who's done second year or graduated take any of the modules in old/medieval English? What did you think about them?
Reply 9
Original post by TimeWalker
Did anyone who's done second year or graduated take any of the modules in old/medieval English? What did you think about them?

I did, yeah. I think I did Chaucer and a couple of others. If I'm entirely honest, I absolutely detested them. It was very language based, and I struggled to enjoy most of the text as a large chunk of time is taken up translating and learning the different sentence structures etc. If it's something you're ultimately interested in studying long term in relation to the literature you enjoy then it's definitely worth it, but as I'm far more interested in womens writing it was an uphill struggle for me!

Quick Reply

Latest