The Student Room Group

Which is best. Maths or physics?

Poll

which is better maths or physics

this needs to be settled.. I would say physics, but i want everyone elses opinions too...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seriously? There needs to be such a poll?
Reply 2
And how can you even compare them? In maths there's applied maths, which is physics (mostly), and pure maths which you presumably don't like.
Original post by Sinfire
And how can you even compare them? In maths there's applied maths, which is physics, and pure maths which you presumably don't like.

naa i like both, just annoys me when people whodont take both, say one or the other is crap without stating why
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation"

"Physics is a poem and mathematics are the words"

Etc. Why compare the two? They are both best.

I was just thinking about that. :tongue:
how do you define best though? you couldn't have physics without maths, you could have maths without physics, but, would there be any point in having all this maths if you didn't apply it? Our lives would be immeasurably ****ter had physics not been developed.
Reply 8
Original post by pepeeglesfield
naa i like both, just annoys me when people whodont take both, say one or the other is crap without stating why

Yeah, that's because the humanities subject they took (to diversify their subject range) instead of taking both maths and physics will benefit them in their future life.
Maths is the bust by ****ing farr!!!!
Original post by Sinfire
Yeah, that's because the humanities subject they took (to diversify their subject range) instead of taking both maths and physics will benefit them in their future life.

bit of an overgeneralization, more often than not its because they can't hack both subjects.
Original post by Existentialistic
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation"

"Physics is a poem and mathematics are the words"

Etc. Why compare the two? They are both best.

Your second sig is brilliant!!!
Reply 12
I think astrophysics is great :biggrin: that's what makes me vote for Physics over Maths.
Original post by erniiee
I think astrophysics is great :biggrin: that's what makes me vote for Physics over Maths.

we're on the same wavelength :biggrin:
physics :sogood:

I'm only just starting to like maths because I've become interested in philosophy of maths. Proofs are interesting

ok they're both good :smile:
Ignoring the people who are (kind of rightly) being awkward by saying you can't compare the two, I prefer studying maths to physics. Maths is incredibly complex while also being simple and fundamental. Physics is less pure.
Reply 16
Original post by pepeeglesfield
we're on the same wavelength :biggrin:

:h:
Reply 17
for me: maths is piss easy. physics is rock hard. soooo, id say physics :smile:
By A levels I doubt many people have been introduced to any type of real mathematics or physics. From the sound of it, physics is incredibly different at degree level, too.

I actually think physics has more perks. It's all about real world application and invention, and if it was mastered (with the help of mathematics) then we could find out the mysteries of the universe first hand. Much like the astronomers and astronauts quote in Jurassic Park.
Reply 19
Original post by tpxvs
for me: maths is piss easy. physics is rock hard. soooo, id say physics :smile:

I sorta agree! I love maths because I find it so incredibly straight forward at the level at which I'm studying it (pretty low). I find Physics a bit harder but a lot more interesting! I mean, I must admit that algebra gets me super excited sometimes, but then there's physics! I don't understand why all people dont fall on to there knees in awe at the sheer beauty of the explainable universe! AAAAA geek out!

Basically, Physics!

Quick Reply

Latest