The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow University Degree Classification

Hi,

I have been looking at how the degree classification system works at Glasgow University (GU). For my 4-year honours course it states that final classification is taken from your average credit-weighted grade points from across your final two honours years. The grade points are on a 22-point scale where:

18 - 22 correspond to a first

15 - 17 correspond to a 2:1

12 - 14 correspond to a 2:2 etc

These figures however are very different from what I have been lead to believe. I understand that at most British Universities 50-60%, 60-70% and 70%+ correspond to 2:2, 2:1 and first respectively, with a small amount of deviation. The figures above state that the boundaries at GU are instead 54-68%, 68-82% and 82%+ corresponding to 2:2, 2:1 and first respectively.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that this is incredibly unfair on GU students. For example, if a student scores 68% towards their classification at "most universities" they will be awarded a 2:1 and perhaps a borderline first, however at GU they will be borderline 2:2 - 2:1! Since this is a distinction which will define them for the rest of their life, can someone either correct me or confirm this?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by csplice
X

I think the mistake here is to see these grade points as conforming to a percentage. We've been specifically told that they don't track onto percentages. I don't think it's any more difficult to get a B1 than 68% as the grade descriptor for B1 makes clear it's based on the demonstration of the learning outcomes.

It makes a lot more sense to use these boundaries; how on earth can anyone tell the difference between a 65% essay and a 66% essay?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Norton1, thanks for your reply.

This is a great relief if what you write is true!

The reason I have translated these grade points into percentages is that I want to predict my overall grade for this year using my "expected" marks from each of my exams. As a science student I won't have the problem of grading essays as I will either get an answer right or wrong - and so after an exam I can guess what my percentage mark will be. I assumed these percentages translate directly into a "grade point percentage" and this hopefully is a false assumption.

Do you think I would be right in thinking that in any specific exam 50-60%, 60-70% and 70+% will reflect C3-C1, B3-B1 and A5-A1 as a grade respectively?

I was getting worried that given my estimated results so far that it would be impossible for me to graduate with even a 2:2!
Reply 3
Original post by csplice
Hi Norton1, thanks for your reply.

This is a great relief if what you write is true!

The reason I have translated these grade points into percentages is that I want to predict my overall grade for this year using my "expected" marks from each of my exams. As a science student I won't have the problem of grading essays as I will either get an answer right or wrong - and so after an exam I can guess what my percentage mark will be. I assumed these percentages translate directly into a "grade point percentage" and this hopefully is a false assumption.

Do you think I would be right in thinking that in any specific exam 50-60%, 60-70% and 70+% will reflect C3-C1, B3-B1 and A5-A1 as a grade respectively?

I was getting worried that given my estimated results so far that it would be impossible for me to graduate with even a 2:2!

I couldn't honestly tell you in relation to science subjects to be honest. In law I've certainly found A's and high B's achievable so I don't think that you need a much higher standard than in another uni using percentages.

Perhaps someone that is a science student at Glasgow could help, but I have known people who did sciences and graduated with 2:1's so it's certainly not unattainable. I also feel like I would have heard something about this in the last few years at Glasgow were it the case we had significantly higher grade boundaries. (Heard about it and rode it mercilessly to say Glasgow was best. Obviously.)
Reply 4
Original post by Norton1
I couldn't honestly...

As long as the exam percentages are comparable to other university systems then I'm more than happy. It all makes sense now in retrospect! Goes to show how big an impact a simple assumption can make. It's nice to believe that I can get a 2:1 at the end of this!

Thanks again, Norton1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending