The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mo-Amin

Saw an advert for The Raid which looked insane and excellent, anyone seen it yet?

Yeah, it has way too much story and takes itself far too seriously. It's got some really amazing action scenes, but a hell of a lot of baggage that they pretend doesn't exist in all of the marketing. It's entertaining enough in places, but nothing particularly memorable and ultimately the combat feels like a demonstration rather than any kind of thing you're actually invested in.
Reply 6261
Original post by Phalanges
Yeah, it has way too much story and takes itself far too seriously. It's got some really amazing action scenes, but a hell of a lot of baggage that they pretend doesn't exist in all of the marketing. It's entertaining enough in places, but nothing particularly memorable and ultimately the combat feels like a demonstration rather than any kind of thing you're actually invested in.

Owh, that kinda sucks then. I was expecting/hoping constant action for the sake of action. Maybe I'll just see it on a Wednesday or wait for the DVD or something.
(edited 11 years ago)
This looks pretty good, actually. It's essentially Braveheart for kids. :tongue:

Original post by sheep_go_baa
You guys have probably already seen this but I though I'd post it just in case. Lucas sent this to Cameron, when Titanic beat Star Wars at the box-office :awesome:

I lol'd :tongue:
Reply 6264
Not sure if legit:

Reply 6265
Just watching The Avengers :colone:
I recently saw American Pie(latest film) and it was quite funny but the storyline felt disjointed.7/10 I give it.
Original post by nerd434
Anyone heard about Halloween 3D coming out in 2013 or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D in January 2013?

I'm looking forward to them just to see what they turn out like. Is anyone else?

I haven't heard of them and the movies I'm really looking forward to in 2013 are Star Trek and Percy Jackson.
Original post by nerd434
Anyone heard about Halloween 3D coming out in 2013 or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3D in January 2013?

I'm looking forward to them just to see what they turn out like. Is anyone else?

They'll have weapons flying towards the audience and that will be the extent of your 3D experience.
Reply 6269
I watched Warrior today, thought it was really good. Pretty powerful film. Can't decide what I thought of the ending, on one hand I thought it was really emotional and powerful, but on the other hand it was a bit of a typical Hollywood ending.

One annoying thing though was the DVD cover

Spoiler

Edit: Was really impressed with Tom Hardy as well. Makes me more psyched for TDKR.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PoGo HoPz
This looks pretty good, actually. It's essentially Braveheart for kids. :tongue:

Pffft, I still get stereotyped about Braveheart on Xbox LIVE, I don't need more films like it. :plz2:

I'm sceptical about this film though. It seems like a big departure from the golden Pixar formula that coats all the films, and leaning more in favour of a Disney style of films: Princess in a fairy tale setting. I guess we'll see how it turns out.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
They'll have weapons flying towards the audience and that will be the extent of your 3D experience.

That makes me think of the 1st thing I ever seen in 3d-It was a theatre show years ago and I had 3D glasses on and they sent a bomb towards the audience and I couldn't look and put my head to the back of the seat and was very scared.
Reply 6272
Quick bit of Django news - Sacha Baron Cohen and Kurt Russell have left the project

Anyway, looking to watch something good today as a post-birthday treat. Not sure what film to go for, though. :beard:
Reply 6274
I'm suprised at how good the copy of The Avengers is that I am watching. The sound has only gone crackly once or twice and even the dark scenes are fine to watch on my laptop. Only 30 minutes in though so I shall see how it ends up :beard:
I've been binging on Japanese cinema these last few days, and feel I must, for the good of every cinephile, share the absolute masterpieces which I've come across. They were all great of course, though these stood out in particular:

High and Low - 9/10

Honestly, I expected this would be good, though I was not prepared for such greatness. This has become perhaps my favourite Kurosawa film to date. It has everything! There were a few brief moments of awkwardness and/or unnecessary lines, especially from Mifune, though all in all, this is definitely up there. How it isn't in the top 250 and Ran is, I'll never know.

Woman of the Dunes - 9/10

Teshigahara's finest, and a spine chiller to boot. I must say that this guy is severely unappreciated when it comes to listing the 'biggies' of Japanese cinema- Ozu, Kurosawa, Naruse, etc. Watch his The Face of Another for another one of his masterpieces, which certainly laid the foundation to Vanilla Sky, and was an honest inspiration from Franju's Les yeux sans Visages.

Vengeance is Mine - 9/10

In my opinion, this is Imamura's magnum opus. You almost forget that you're watching a Japanese film here, as everything is stylistically pulled from Western films of the same period. There's certainly a Camusian l'etranger theme running through it.

Youth of the Beast - 8.5/10

Seijun Suzuki, best known for his 1960's cheese and b-movies, delivers hard in this light-hearted Yakuza film. I was never a fan of his editing style (I still can't figure out whether that was due to budget, personal choice, or whatever else), though this film is so brilliant, even the most ardent detractor would enjoy it.

Also check out Tokyo Drifter.

Drunken Angel - 9/10

A kick-arse Kurosawa noir. Nothing else needs to be said.
Avengers just broke $1 billion. Not only that is that a staggering amount but it broke that in just two-three weeks. I can't see The Dark Knight Rises matching that. It will still do good though and there will be no end to silly comparisons about how one is better than the other because of box office intakes. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got to love some of the snobs mourning the death of film because of the success of superhero comic book adaptation/spectacles.

Wonder if we will see more studios attempt a similar multiple superhero film. Justice League is a possibility after a reboot of Nolan's Batman - which WB said they would do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6277
Went to Watford to the Harry Potter studios today, it was awesome. BUTTERBEER.

I would like to see a Justice League film.

As long as Green Lantern isn't in it.
Reply 6279
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Avengers just broke $1 billion. Not only that is that a staggering amount but it broke that in just two-three weeks. I can't see The Dark Knight Rises matching that. It will still do good though and there will be no end to silly comparisons about how one is better than the other because of box office intakes. On the other end of the spectrum, you've got to love some of the snobs mourning the death of film because of the success of superhero comic book adaptation/spectacles.

Wonder if we will see more studios attempt a similar multiple superhero film. Justice League is a possibility after a reboot of Nolan's Batman - which WB said they would do.

The superheroes in the JL are far too overpowered for me to make a decent live action ensemble, Superman alone is bad enough but add in Martian Hunter and Wonder Woman who are basically the same as Superman in terms of abilities and strengths, it becomes far too ridiculous to control. The only way I could see it working is if it was basically a carbon copy of the JL: Doom animated film recently released and if it was headed up by Nolan.
That would be great!

The Avengers works because the heroes are all flawed or just aren't that great in terms of abilities like Black Widow. Also, the Avenger heroes are fine with killing enemies but the JL refuse to kill which makes a film very tough to make even slightly believeable.

Quick Reply

Latest