The Student Room Group

When am I no longer classed as a student?

I was just talking to my friends the other day and although we are all third years none of us know when we will no longer be classed as students. My graduation is on the 19th July, is it likely to be then? I doubt it will be as soon as exams are finished (18th May) but I think when I left secondary school it was quite sometime after I left so I'm not sure. I also don't know if its different for different universities. Hopefully someone who has finished uni themselves will know!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
When you learn the difference between no and know?

In all seriousness it depends. Technically you aren't finished until you graduate, but with some courses the graduation is 6 months+ after the last exam so to all intents and purposes it's when you finish your last exam. Just choose whichever is most convenient.
The uni will give a date for the offical end of summer term. I don't know but my guess is it will be that.
Reply 3
Original post by Svenjamin
When you learn the difference between no and know?

In all seriousness it depends. Technically you aren't finished until you graduate, but with some courses the graduation is 6 months+ after the last exam so to all intents and purposes it's when you finish your last exam. Just choose whichever is most convenient.

I can't see how I don't know the difference?!:s-smilie:

I guessed it would be when I graduate as it makes the most sense but I've been looking at some places to live after my contract for my student house runs out and some places don't allow students.
Reply 4
Original post by lauraaaa.xo

They mean that in your title, it says "know longer classed" when it should be "no longer classed".

Anyway erm...well I suppose after your graduation ceremony? Once you have the certificate or what ever the paperwork is stating you've gotten the degree.
Reply 5

I guessed it would be when I graduate as it makes the most sense but I've been looking at some places to live after my contract for my student house runs out and some places don't allow students.

Look at your council tax exemption certificate, that should give you an idea of when you are officially not a student.
Reply 6
Original post by joey11223
They mean that in your title, it says "know longer classed" when it should be "no longer classed".

Anyway erm...well I suppose after your graduation ceremony? Once you have the certificate or what ever the paperwork is stating you've gotten the degree.

Ohh, I was just reading though my post and couldn't spot any mistakes, it's because I was going to put the title "does anyone know" i'll change it now:P

I'll have to ring uni and ask on Monday as I have to move out of my current house a month before graduation:/
Reply 7
Original post by barkyface
Look at your council tax exemption certificate, that should give you an idea of when you are officially not a student.

That true, although I know I will have to start paying council task I didn't think about what date I would have to start paying from. My exemption certificate says the course for the current academic year commenced on 22/09/11 and will run until 08/06/2012. I hope it is as soon as that:smile:
Ohh, I was just reading though my post and couldn't spot any mistakes, it's because I was going to put the title "does anyone know" i'll change it now:P

I'll have to ring uni and ask on Monday as I have to move out of my current house a month before graduation:/

No you don't. Just tell your next landlord that you are no longer a student.

It really isn't a matter of life and death... No-one is going to punish you for stating you are no longer a student if you have completely finished all study and exams but just haven't gotten your graduation certificate yet. Least of all your landlord.

Plus I would argue graduation date isn't the right way to classify it anyway. What if a university hypothetically made it's graduation date 10 years after your exams finished? Absolutely no-one would still class you as a student at let's say 8 years after you left university, so logically, they shouldn't 8 weeks after you left.
I'd think after graduation really.

I had similar thoughts though - my last exam is in May but my student card (to enter uni buildings) runs out in June and my graduation is July. I'm just going to consider myself a student for the whole of June :biggrin:, it means I still have an excuse for getting up at 11am and ordering pizza's. I suppose I'm going to have to consider leaving TSR by July though :eek:.
Reply 10
When you get these:

graduation.jpg

And do this;

Graduation-21.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by callum9999
No you don't. Just tell your next landlord that you are no longer a student.

It really isn't a matter of life and death... No-one is going to punish you for stating you are no longer a student if you have completely finished all study and exams but just haven't gotten your graduation certificate yet. Least of all your landlord.

Plus I would argue graduation date isn't the right way to classify it anyway. What if a university hypothetically made it's graduation date 10 years after your exams finished? Absolutely no-one would still class you as a student at let's say 8 years after you left university, so logically, they shouldn't 8 weeks after you left.

Well know it isn't a matter of life of death but someone else just pointed out to look at my council tax certificate which has reminded me about paying council tax. I'm pretty sure I would be punished for not paying that and I wouldn't be able to just say "I thought I was still classed as a student".
as soon as you walk out of the last exam you are 'unemployed' ha!
Does it really matter? Wtf
At the end of the term, does your uni card have a date on it? Mine expires mid-June.
Yeah, it should say on your student card when it expires - and it'd be that.
Reply 16
Original post by Elvendork
At the end of the term, does your uni card have a date on it? Mine expires mid-June.

Original post by Waterstorm
Yeah, it should say on your student card when it expires - and it'd be that.

My student car just says 11/12 on it so I'm not sure about that lol. I'll just ring up tomorrow:smile:

In that case I don't think it matters so much to the landlord when you technically finish university, just that you're not going to be there during a university year, throwing wild parties and whatnot. If the purpose of moving into another house is for somewhere to live after you've finished university, then I don't think you'd still be classed a student in the landlord's eyes, even if you've not quite technically ceased to be a student yet.
Reply 18
Classed for what purposes?

In terms of things like council tax and benefits - you will be classified as in full-time education until the end of term date as specified by your university.
Well know it isn't a matter of life of death but someone else just pointed out to look at my council tax certificate which has reminded me about paying council tax. I'm pretty sure I would be punished for not paying that and I wouldn't be able to just say "I thought I was still classed as a student".

You implied you wanted to know as you were trying to choose a house and some said "no students". No landlord would ever turn away someone who had completed university but not yet attended their graduation ceremony because they advertise no students.

Quick Reply