The Student Room Group

Comparing Doctor Faustus and Paradise Lost Book 1

So, exam is next Tuesday. Has anyone got key quotes that you can use whatever the exam question is?
Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: Hi guys! I know I posted this thread like a year ago, but if any future Paradise Lost students need some critic quotes, just message me and I will send them to you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven

awake, arise, or be forever fallen!

thick as autumnal leaves

better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

some paradise lost quotes for you :smile:

anyone want to have a try of explaining them :? ? also does anyone have any critics?
Reply 2
laurenkitty
anyone want to have a try of explaining them :? ? also does anyone have any critics?

David Punter is a very good critic to use for the Gothic genre.

Terror Horror and Supernatural

* Horror = physical emotion: bodies cut up, cannibalism etc
* Terror = psychological: disturbing, less brutal
* “Much of the gothic brings us into contact with the supernatural”
* Castle = “residue of feudal or aristocratic past”
* Monasteries and convents “representing of Catholicism and the opposition to the relative clarity of Protestantism”
* “At a more psychological level it represents a fear of being locked up inside ourselves, so cannot escape from the fortress we have made around ourselves” “Image of going down into the basement or cellar is the image of going down into the recesses of one’s own mind and finding out what is buried down there before one can bring it up to the surface and live again the daylight"
* “Milton in part presents Satan to us as a figure of admiration, not necessarily justifiable, but admirable in his resistance to the dictates of God and authority”

To name a few of his points! Hope that helps.
NickB91

Neither of those texts are Gothic, though; Gothic literature doesn't really emerge until the eighteenth century. Faustus is a tragedy and Paradise Lost is an epic. I'm assuming that Punter's written on Milton as well though - which book of his are you referring to?
Reply 4
Lady Beatrice
Neither of those texts are Gothic, though; Gothic literature doesn't really emerge until the eighteenth century. Faustus is a tragedy and Paradise Lost is an epic. I'm assuming that Punter's written on Milton as well though - which book of his are you referring to?

I'm assuming this is for the aspects of the Gothic exam though? The texts aren't technically Gothic but we are supposed to pull out and discuss the Gothic aspects of them and talk about how they fit into the Gothic genre by being Pre-Gothic texts etc.
owlface
I'm assuming this is for the aspects of the Gothic exam though? The texts aren't technically Gothic but we are supposed to pull out and discuss the Gothic aspects of them and talk about how they fit into the Gothic genre by being Pre-Gothic texts etc.

Oh, I see! Can you answer this paper just on those texts then, or do you have to include a later Gothic text as well?
Reply 6
Lady Beatrice
Oh, I see! Can you answer this paper just on those texts then, or do you have to include a later Gothic text as well?

We have to talk about at least three from a list of options, which I think includes Paradise Lost, Faustus, Macbeth, The Bloody Chamber, Wuthering Heights, Dracula and Frankenstein. I have been taught Faustus, Macbeth and The Bloody Chamber so have to talk about the Gothic in terms of three non-Gothic era texts :s-smilie: but I think most people are doing either Dracula or Frankenstein as well which are pretty classically Gothic, although Dracula's a bit later than the archetypal Gothic period.
NickB91

Terror Horror and Supernatural

* Horror = physical emotion: bodies cut up, cannibalism etc
* Terror = psychological: disturbing, less brutal
* “Much of the gothic brings us into contact with the supernatural”
* Castle = “residue of feudal or aristocratic past”
* Monasteries and convents “representing of Catholicism and the opposition to the relative clarity of Protestantism”
* “At a more psychological level it represents a fear of being locked up inside ourselves, so cannot escape from the fortress we have made around ourselves” “Image of going down into the basement or cellar is the image of going down into the recesses of one’s own mind and finding out what is buried down there before one can bring it up to the surface and live again the daylight"
* “Milton in part presents Satan to us as a figure of admiration, not necessarily justifiable, but admirable in his resistance to the dictates of God and authority”

To name a few of his points! Hope that helps.

The Bloody Chamber FTW simply for the fact that it's so wierd it offers vague amusement and relief from the monotony of revision. BTW thanks for the stuff on Punter, don't spose you've got any other scraps on the gothic you could throw my way? :smile:
Reply 8
mandamoo92
The Bloody Chamber FTW simply for the fact that it's so wierd it offers vague amusement and relief from the monotony of revision. BTW thanks for the stuff on Punter, don't spose you've got any other scraps on the gothic you could throw my way? :smile:

I had a video of his which talks about the whole Gothic, here are my notes from it as an attachment, hope it works!
NickB91
I had a video of his which talks about the whole Gothic, here are my notes from it as an attachment, hope it works!

CHEERS :smile:

what a legend! you seem highly organised :wink: very helpful.
laurenkitty
the mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven

awake, arise, or be forever fallen!

thick as autumnal leaves

better to reign in hell than serve in heaven

some paradise lost quotes for you :smile:

I have some critic quotes for you. If you want them, message me
Reply 11
ibelongtoslytherin
I have some critic quotes for you. If you want them, message me

That would be great :smile:
NickB91

Your document helped soo much- thanks for this :yep: :smile:
Hi,

please could you send me the critic quotes asap! Would be a great help!
Reply 14
Original post by ibelongtoslytherin
So, exam is next Tuesday. Has anyone got key quotes that you can use whatever the exam question is?
Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: Hi guys! I know I posted this thread like a year ago, but if any future Paradise Lost students
need some critic quotes, just message me and I will
send them to you :smile:

Hi this is my 1st ever post! I am taking an A level in A Comparison between Dr Faustus/Paradise Lost Book 1 - Any quotes or tips would be much appreciated
Also did you sit take the exam and how well did you
do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending