The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jackeeba
Unless you're very posh go for UH.

I'm on Freshers crew this year and it's going to be sick. We've hand picked the people who will give you the best time. Rooms are no smaller than the Hiatt Baker rooms, but smaller than Wills. En-suites are slightly excluded though I'm mates with a few of them from one of the blocks and it's no real issue.

Gym is a bit of a mare from Stoke-Bishop, if you're looking to focus on the gym/MMA stay in one of the Clifton halls or something as it will usually take an hour or so travelling (there and back) to go to the uni gym. If you bring a bike it's not a big deal though.

As for Goldney vs UH - if you want a good time, go to UH. If you want a nice building, go to Goldney. The one time I went to Goldney this year for a night out it was an absolute joke, very, very boring.

Goldney isn't as boring as you make out. Its not party central, but by no means is it in any way anti-social. I've found that being in clifton (and thus close to the triangle), a lot more nights out tend to be going out to the pub and then clubs rather than partying in student bars or having flat parties. Security also seem to be a lot nicer to us than they do at some other halls (specifically Durdham from what i've heard).

Having said that, I know the JCR president for Durdham and i'm pretty sure freshers there next year are going to be spending a lot of the time naked, so maybe it won't be as 'boring' as its made out to be.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 7161
Original post by Rubgish
Goldney isn't as boring as you make out. Its not party central, but by no means is it in any way anti-social. I've found that being in clifton (and thus close to the triangle), a lot more nights out tend to be going out to the pub and then clubs rather than partying in student bars or having flat parties. Security also seem to be a lot nicer to us than they do at some other halls (specifically Durdham from what i've heard).

Having said that, I know the JCR president for Durdham and i'm pretty sure freshers there next year are going to be spending a lot of the time naked, so maybe it won't be as 'boring' as its made out to be.

Perhaps not as boring as I made out, yet still boring I'd say.

Being close to the triangle is probably as much a curse as it is a blessing, very boring place after a while. We only spent a few weeks restricted to the triangle before branching out into Stokes Croft, Easton and the Centre etc. I appreciate what you say about pubs, but going out 3/4 times a week, people in UH for example can't afford to drink in pubs (I do miss that a bit), if you can afford it though it's definitely an upside. The most annoying thing about UH this year has been the bar being perennially under-used (looking to fix the prices for next year) as the kitchens are pretty ****.
Perhaps not as boring as I made out, yet still boring I'd say.

Being close to the triangle is probably as much a curse as it is a blessing, very boring place after a while. We only spent a few weeks restricted to the triangle before branching out into Stokes Croft, Easton and the Centre etc. I appreciate what you say about pubs, but going out 3/4 times a week, people in UH for example can't afford to drink in pubs (I do miss that a bit), if you can afford it though it's definitely an upside. The most annoying thing about UH this year has been the bar being perennially under-used (looking to fix the prices for next year) as the kitchens are pretty ****.

It depends entirely on what you consider boring :smile: I'd much rather have goldneys grounds and facilities than have more parties/go out clubbing more, i'm of the opinion its far easier to start a party than it is to avoid one when its going on in your flat and you just want to sleep/relax.

I think underuse of bars is quite a general thing, Goldney bar doesn't get used as much as it should even though the prices are pretty good. Its hard to get people to go for a couple of drinks in the bar when you can just do it in the kitchens for cheaper and without having to go outside.
To be honest all the best places to go are down in the centre of town/on gloucester road so you aren't too close to anywhere great in clifton, unless you love hearing exactly the same music and seeing exactly the same people every night. It is admittedly less distance to walk to the centre from clifton though.

The pub thing is the biggest downside of stoke bishop - all the halls bars are ****, and unless you live in wills or churchill and have money to burn noone can afford regular pub trips anyway. However stoke bishop = closer to the awesomely cheap orpheus cinema so that kind of makes up for it.

Gyms you have to go for a triangle one really, I've been a member of one in cabot circus which is really cheap, but its a 3 mile run each way and while that's made me quite fit it just wastes a lot of time.

I would say go for stoke bishop, I'm in UH and I love it - it isn't like what people make it out to be, the facilities are all just adequate rather than flashy, and the rooms aren't small compared to other halls, and halls are an invaluable way of meeting people; and obvs when you have more halls in close proximity, it makes meeting more people easier.

Oh yeah, also durdham is exactly as boring as it's made out to be, seriously don't go unless you enjoy listening to the wind whistle by and watching tumbleweed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rubgish

Will Hamlyn by any chance? :tongue:
Original post by Phil1541
Will Hamlyn by any chance? :tongue:

maybe :ninja:
Well I think I'm gonna apply to UH but will en suite be competitive? Maybe I should just apply for a single room to increase my chances off getting in. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

And if I do apply to UH as first choice what should I put as my second choice?

And does Hiatt Baker have a gym like I've seen a few places and if so is it any good?

Thanks
Reply 7167
I know some people who applied for UH en suite as first choice and didn't get it, and a few people who (weirdly) didn't apply for the en suite and got it. If you put UH as your first choice you'll almost certainly get it as a fair amount of people this year had it as their second choice / didn't choose it at all.

Hiatt Baker does not have a gym, none of the SB halls do (I don't think the Clifton ones do either). Most people (myself included) buy sports passes and use the uni gym which is ridiculously busy most of the time - if you want an intense workout where you can keep to rest times etc. then go in the morning before 11 or so. The best option if you're proper keen on the gym would be to use one of the local gyms rather than the Uni gym.
I know some people who applied for UH en suite as first choice and didn't get it, and a few people who (weirdly) didn't apply for the en suite and got it. If you put UH as your first choice you'll almost certainly get it as a fair amount of people this year had it as their second choice / didn't choose it at all.

Hiatt Baker does not have a gym, none of the SB halls do (I don't think the Clifton ones do either). Most people (myself included) buy sports passes and use the uni gym which is ridiculously busy most of the time - if you want an intense workout where you can keep to rest times etc. then go in the morning before 11 or so. The best option if you're proper keen on the gym would be to use one of the local gyms rather than the Uni gym.

How much are the local gyms vs the uni gym? Oh and are they close to the uni?

I don't go to the gym very often, but I think I'd prefer a local gym. I'd feel uncomfortable in a really busy gym, especially one packed with other people from uni...
Original post by punctuation
How much are the local gyms vs the uni gym? Oh and are they close to the uni?

I don't go to the gym very often, but I think I'd prefer a local gym. I'd feel uncomfortable in a really busy gym, especially one packed with other people from uni...

The uni gym I think is £300 for 3 years, so it's ridiculously cheap compared to local gyms. And you get access to the swimming pool as well as the sports hall/courts as well.

It's not bad at all. If you go at the right times, it's not really busy either. I used to go between 9 and 10 in the evening on week nights.
(edited 11 years ago)
If I put UH as first choice en suite and didn't get en suite would they put me in another hall or just another room in UH?

And I wreckon I'll just use the uni gym when I have free time during my days, like in between lectures. I'm doing mechanical engineering btw so if anyone has any advice about uni life or the course or accomodation etc it would be much appreciated
Reply 7171
I'd settled on Hiatt Baker but apparently there's going to be massive building works all year now. Anyone got any info about this?
Original post by Joshc93
I'd settled on Hiatt Baker but apparently there's going to be massive building works all year now. Anyone got any info about this?

I think Daisy from the Facebook group said she rang up and asked. Apparently it is only going to affect the parking lot.
Reply 7173
Original post by punctuation
I think Daisy from the Facebook group said she rang up and asked. Apparently it is only going to affect the parking lot.

Oh sweet :smile:
from everything ive read, it seems to me like my only option to have fun is to choose uh without an en suite
are people with en suites really recluses? i want an ensuite because i dont really like the idea of having to fight for a shower but i dont consider myself less outgoing than others, do i really have to sacrifice an en suite to have fun?
Hmm, I'm quite tempted by UH now... I know I want to live in Stoke Bishop but just choosing is difficult. I'm tempted to go for self-catered as well but I'm not sure how much money I'd be saving!
Original post by daisydunne
from everything ive read, it seems to me like my only option to have fun is to choose uh without an en suite
are people with en suites really recluses? i want an ensuite because i dont really like the idea of having to fight for a shower but i dont consider myself less outgoing than others, do i really have to sacrifice an en suite to have fun?

I'm not sure why an ensuite correlates to being a recluse? Surely it just means someone wants their own bathroom? :confused: I really wouldn't worry about it personally. :smile:
Which halls/houses are you allowed to stick posters up in? I'm just wondering as the Unite residences might be iffy. Colston Street and Hawthorns look nice, but too nice, as if they won't let you spoil it with blue tac marks... does anyone know?

Also if anyone has any info on those 2 places please let me know :smile:
Original post by EvenStevens
The uni gym I think is £300 for 3 years, so it's ridiculously cheap compared to local gyms. And you get access to the swimming pool as well as the sports hall/courts as well.

It's not bad at all. If you go at the right times, it's not really busy either. I used to go between 9 and 10 in the evening on week nights.

Is there any Zumba classes? I love ZUMBA!
Original post by FuzzySheep
Hmm, I'm quite tempted by UH now... I know I want to live in Stoke Bishop but just choosing is difficult. I'm tempted to go for self-catered as well but I'm not sure how much money I'd be saving!

If you go for UH over durdham/UH en-suite you'll be saving roughly £700-800 which definitely sounds like a huge amount saved, I guess it depends on how much you value an en-suite or the money saved :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending