The Student Room Group

US Sutton Trust Summer School

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
UCL??
Original post by ib95
UCL??

We go for a residential trip to UCL for a couple of days at the end of August:smile:
Reply 102
Ah cool, that application week? I didn't realise that was at UCL :biggrin:
sorry to scape in, but a couple of questions cos this looks pretty cool. If my parents earn over £40000 can they not accept me at all or will they still consider me? Also, what year to you have to be in to apply?
I don't know... I believe with the vast numbers of people applying, they'll give priority to those with the lower income...
Year 12 :smile:
The application process has closed now as well :/
Reply 106
i got a place!!!!!

i was rejected and put on the waiting list. i emailed them to say i was still interested and now i've got a place! shows not losing sight of your goal pays off!
Ah wow well done! That must mean that some people have dropped out or said that they don't want their place!
why would anyone turn down a place??
I guess if you can't make the dates though you have to...
Reply 109
When do we get more information do you know? :smile:
Reply 110
they said at the beginning of june, so it should be any day now
Reply 111
Original post by hannahlsmith
Ah wow well done! That must mean that some people have dropped out or said that they don't want their place!

Hiya, Im looking to apply this year, but wondering if you enjoyed the experience? What were the residentials like? Lots of fun?
TWAS AMAZING pm me if you have any questions about applying and stuff :smile:
Reply 113
It was pretty darn good :smile:
Original post by cheese-lemming
TWAS AMAZING pm me if you have any questions about applying and stuff :smile:

Hi! I'm thinking of applyong to the Sutton trust summer programme for 2013. Seeing that you have already been through this amazing experience I was wondering what features in your application you think made it succesful. Also could you tell me about how th dates got around your schedule and the overall experience out of 10!

20/10 :smile: Haha, I'm not kidding. it totally exceeded all my expectations.

um, for me and most people on the programme, it was a priority and therefore it wasn't really hard for me to fit It around other things and they worked the programme. It was, however, a lot of work because you're preparing for applying to unis... it's nit just a holiday!! So, I did have to sacrifice bit's of my summer in order to do the application properly. Haha, it does realistically require a lot of time but it is so worth it!!!!! the more you put in to the programme, the more you get out of it. Some people have already gotten offers from ivy league schools, so the programme does really help and guide your application throughout the summer and beyond.

I honestly can't tell you why I was admitted... but, I did have good grades and a lot of extra curricular activities, and this probably did help a lot... I also had the most amazing reference so I'm really thankful for that. :smile:
Reply 116
20/10 :smile: Haha, I'm not kidding. it totally exceeded all my expectations.

um, for me and most people on the programme, it was a priority and therefore it wasn't really hard for me to fit It around other things and they worked the programme. It was, however, a lot of work because you're preparing for applying to unis... it's nit just a holiday!! So, I did have to sacrifice bit's of my summer in order to do the application properly. Haha, it does realistically require a lot of time but it is so worth it!!!!! the more you put in to the programme, the more you get out of it. Some people have already gotten offers from ivy league schools, so the programme does really help and guide your application throughout the summer and beyond.

I honestly can't tell you why I was admitted... but, I did have good grades and a lot of extra curricular activities, and this probably did help a lot... I also had the most amazing reference so I'm really thankful for that. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, is that because you didn't fit the low income household criteria?
Original post by AletiaL
If you don't mind me asking, is that because you didn't fit the low income household criteria?

oh no, I did... I just meant that the admissions process was so broad that I can't give you a definitive reason why I was admitted over anyone because I don't know anything about the other hundreds of people who applied. I think that my genuine interest in the US was evident and I met, if not exceeded, the criteria.
Reply 118
oh no, I did... I just meant that the admissions process was so broad that I can't give you a definitive reason why I was admitted over anyone because I don't know anything about the other hundreds of people who applied. I think that my genuine interest in the US was evident and I met, if not exceeded, the criteria.

Ah ok, I want to apply but I think it'll be a fruitless process. I don't fit the income criteria and I think I'd be viewed as applying for something that would benefit others more than me. Did you apply/attend the UK Sutton Trust or UNIQ Summer Schools?
Original post by AletiaL
Ah ok, I want to apply but I think it'll be a fruitless process. I don't fit the income criteria and I think I'd be viewed as applying for something that would benefit others more than me. Did you apply/attend the UK Sutton Trust or UNIQ Summer Schools?

The income criteria wasn't the be all and end all, they just give priority to those people...

I didn't fit the criteria for the UK Sutton Trust Summer Schools, and was thus rejected for the Cambridge Summer School (it's true this means nothing for 'actual' admissions, because I did get an offer).

I did go to the UNIQ Summer School for Geography and absolutely loved it!!! Unlike the US ST programme, it was more subject based as opposed to learning about university. I learnt so much and met some amazing people. Even though Oxford (as a city and a uni) wasn't for me, it did give me the confidence to apply to other top universities and I do feel like I became a better 'geographer' in that week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest