The Student Room Group

Help! Bad mistake with uni? (sussex/york)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by swbp
You should follow your gut instinct - I had to choose between Sheffield and Sussex, and though Sheffield ticked every box on paper, I just loved Sussex too much to care :smile:

urgh i have 2 days untill the chance to change my mind goes :|
i love sussex's location couse ectt.. but it just dont feel right and im not to keen on yorks location, course but it feels right

bit of a fml situation
Reply 21
Original post by iammichealjackson
Uni isn't intense at all. Its easier than a level for most people, I have a friend doing PPE at york and he has hardly any work... you could go to york and have free time, maybe not the clubbing though :P

Haha free time and no clubbing, big nono :P
Reply 22
Original post by xnatsix

l I just didn't get the whole I want to be here feeling like I didn't connect with the uni at all. Also it had more of a hippy vibe which im not into:frown:

Hi there, I graduated from Sussex last summer. Don't let the hippy thing put you off. Whilst there are some dreadlocks bobbing around, the silent majority of us weren't into that scene at all. In terms of nightlife/music, there's enough in Brighton to cater for all tastes, with both mainstream and alternative club nights :smile:
I do psych at York and I don't know where the myth comes from that the clubs are rubbish and we never go out. I go out clubbing twice a week (when I don't have exams) and maybe to the pub another night. And most people are the same. However, if you've already chosen Sussex then don't fret - it's a good uni and I'm sure you'll love it there.
Reply 24
Original post by xnatsix
urgh i have 2 days untill the chance to change my mind goes :|
i love sussex's location couse ectt.. but it just dont feel right and im not to keen on yorks location, course but it feels right

bit of a fml situation

I guess no university is completely right for someone, it's just about figuring out which will suit you best :smile: Maybe make a chart of your priorities and compare them?

Yeah I went to Sheffield and loved the town, course and facilities, but I just knew that I wouldn't belong there :/ That was what attracted me to Sussex; there was a real sense of diversity, and everyone seemed to be accepted for who they were :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by xnatsix
Im into mainstream music so basically whatever is in the UK top 40 i'll love and clothes wise a girly girl so on a night out would wear a short dress and heels kind of thing

coalition on a monday, digital on a tuesday, audio on a wednesday, audio on a thursday, geisha's on a friday, life, digital, audio and coalition on a saturday and you're golden :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by alexmagpie
I do psych at York and I don't know where the myth comes from that the clubs are rubbish and we never go out. I go out clubbing twice a week (when I don't have exams) and maybe to the pub another night. And most people are the same. However, if you've already chosen Sussex then don't fret - it's a good uni and I'm sure you'll love it there.

Thanks! I have till tuesday to change it. No idea what to do!
Reply 27
Original post by tsveta
coalition on a monday, digital on a tuesday, audio on a wednesday, audio on a thursday, geisha's on a friday, life, digital, audio and coalition on a saturday and you're golden :smile:

Ha! Thanks for planning out my week :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by swbp
I guess no university is completely right for someone, it's just about figuring out which will suit you best :smile: Maybe make a chart of your priorities and compare them?

Yeah I went to Sheffield and loved the town, course and facilities, but I just knew that I wouldn't belong there :/ That was what attracted me to Sussex; there was a real sense of diversity, and everyone seemed to be accepted for who they were :smile:

I get the vibe at sussex you're only accepted if you're quirky lol! What accomodation you going for there?
Original post by xnatsix
Thanks! I have till tuesday to change it. No idea what to do!

Well if you want any advice about the uni, city or the psychology course at York then just ask :smile:
Go to the uni that you feel you will be happy at at the end of the day. You need to thrive to do well at uni, being depressed because you chose the wrong place won't help you at all.
Reply 31
Original post by xnatsix
I get the vibe at sussex you're only accepted if you're quirky lol! What accomodation you going for there?

Sussex is pretty quirky, but I know a few people in my school who have gone there and most of them are pretty normal :smile: My top choices in terms of accomodation were Brighthelm, pakr Houses and Lewes Court. Where were you thinking of?
Reply 32
Well if you want any advice about the uni, city or the psychology course at York then just ask :smile:

Do many people come from London?
Is the course interesting (I don't find biology interesting lol) and do you do alot of abnormal psychology?
Reply 33
Original post by swbp
Sussex is pretty quirky, but I know a few people in my school who have gone there and most of them are pretty normal :smile: My top choices in terms of accomodation were Brighthelm, pakr Houses and Lewes Court. Where were you thinking of?

Thanks :smile: same with Brighthelm, then if i do go maybe eastslope! x
Reply 34

Also, what is the most fun and socialable college?
Original post by xnatsix
Also, what is the most fun and socialable college?

The colleges are just what you make of them, to be honest... I'm in Vanbrugh (the old, cheap blocks), and I love it - but there's really not much of a difference. If you're very concerned I might steer clear of Goodricke and Halifax, because they're a little further off campus, but again, I know people who are perfectly happy there.
Original post by xnatsix
Do many people come from London?
Is the course interesting (I don't find biology interesting lol) and do you do alot of abnormal psychology?

I know a few people from London - but if you're thinking about being able to stay in touch after uni you can never tell, because the reality of the graduate market is that most people will relocate depending on jobs.

I find the course very interesting - yes, there is biology included (but there always will be, it's such a fundamental aspect of the discipline these days). Assuming they're not changing the course before next year, your first year will be something like this:

Research Methods - basic statistics and experimental design (16 weeks)

Brain and Behaviour - Neuroanatomy (4 weeks), Alzheimers disease (4 weeks), sensory processing (4 weeks) and the social/emotional brain (4 weeks)

Social, Personality and Abnormal - social psychology (4 weeks), abnormal psychology (12 weeks), personality psychology (4 weeks)

Perception and Cognition - Vision (4 weeks), Hearing (4 weeks), cognitive psychology (4 weeks), memory (4 weeks)

Development and language - development (8 weeks), language (12 weeks)
Reply 37
I know a few people from London - but if you're thinking about being able to stay in touch after uni you can never tell, because the reality of the graduate market is that most people will relocate depending on jobs.

I find the course very interesting - yes, there is biology included (but there always will be, it's such a fundamental aspect of the discipline these days). Assuming they're not changing the course before next year, your first year will be something like this:

Research Methods - basic statistics and experimental design (16 weeks)

Brain and Behaviour - Neuroanatomy (4 weeks), Alzheimers disease (4 weeks), sensory processing (4 weeks) and the social/emotional brain (4 weeks)

Social, Personality and Abnormal - social psychology (4 weeks), abnormal psychology (12 weeks), personality psychology (4 weeks)

Perception and Cognition - Vision (4 weeks), Hearing (4 weeks), cognitive psychology (4 weeks), memory (4 weeks)

Development and language - development (8 weeks), language (12 weeks)

Thanks that was a huge help!
Reply 38
Original post by hothedgehog
Go to the uni that you feel you will be happy at at the end of the day. You need to thrive to do well at uni, being depressed because you chose the wrong place won't help you at all.

It's hard to know until your there where you'll be happy.
In all honesty the course and city is better at sussex im just concerened at the people and with york theres nothing that amazes me there except the friendliness.
I know people who go to Sussex and have graduated from there and I'm going there this year. You seriously cannot judge a place on the people, I learnt this from my own experience when I went to the better college thinking that I would never go to parties or anything like that because of the people being middle class and really into their work. I couldn't be more wrong, not only did my college have a massive range of people, I went to hundreds of parties. And Sussex is the same, yes there are hippies but not on all parts of the campus. There's a MASSIVE range of people, upper class, middle class, lower class, people who go out partying constantly, people who don't, people from all over the world. Sussex gathers a massive range of people because of its location, near two great cities.

But if you didn't connect with the university, that's your instinct telling you something's wrong. It sounds like you're only going there to party but you will get parties at all universities, whether they're in the middle of no where or in the middle of the city. Don't not go to a uni you like just because you think nobody will want to party. Are you kidding? It's university! Freshers ALWAYS party. And York university will be no different. Plus if you think you will be more dedicated to York, then go for it. You end up paying for it remember? And if you think you're going to put more effort in to get work experience and volunteering, and there's better societies, then what is stopping you? Every university has a diverse range of people (apart from Oxford or Cambridge to some extent). Just go with your instincts or prepare to be unhappy.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest