The Student Room Group

changing course after first year

I've been studying a course this year at uni and I'm really not enjoying it. I'm quite interested in changing course to something different and non-related. Does anyone know if I would have to re-do first year again and what would be the financial implications with the fee changes? considering I'm already at uni and the whole finance stuff has changed :s-smilie:
if it's non-related you'd have to start from first year and you would also be on the new fee system (9k/year)
Reply 2
Hey, I am coming up to the end of my first year and I hated my course, I changed to apply for something completely different at the same university. I received an unconditional and since Im transferring at the same university I stay in the current fee system.

If you were to withdraw or change university then you would definitely pay the new fees. You would have to enquire your university your at about transferring student fees.

JayCoolio :smile:
My university allowed someone on my course to transfer to something unrelated (English Lit to Primary Ed) for September without incurring fee rises, so if you stay in your uni it could be possible to beat the fee rises.
Seriously, even if the fees rise for you, is it really worth spending another two years bored and unfulfilled?
Reply 4
You seriously need to check with student finance about the old fee system, not your actual university. I enquired about changing courses with my university, they told me it was possible and I could stay on the old fees, I went for the interview, got a place on the course - everything was finally coming together. But then I rang student finance and was told "No, we can't do that. You'll be on the £9000 a year fees. It doesn't matter if you're at the same university."
Reply 5
Original post by Judgey
You seriously need to check with student finance about the old fee system, not your actual university. I enquired about changing courses with my university, they told me it was possible and I could stay on the old fees, I went for the interview, got a place on the course - everything was finally coming together. But then I rang student finance and was told "No, we can't do that. You'll be on the £9000 a year fees. It doesn't matter if you're at the same university."

Im definitely on the current dee system, I have even checked with Student finance....
Reply 6
Hi guys, Im currently a Games Design student at Bolton Uni and I have a Sound and Effects lesson as part of my module. I'm about to finish my first year and the only thing I got happy about was the Sound module. I'm trying to change course to Sound and Engineering for September 2012, but the Header of my course says that I wouldn't be able to change courses since they have no relation at all. I have a friend which studied Business before and apparently changed to Sound and Engineering this year there is no relation whatsoever but his on it... I really dont know what to do but i have been told to complain about this. Can anyone help me out here?? I would appreciate some comments thanks

Quick Reply