The Student Room Group

The Edexcel D1 (18/05/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JenniS
how much does the layout of the table matter when you fill it in on a flowchart question???!

The mark scheme layout is mostly for the ease of use for the markers I believe,

As long as you follow the instructions and write down the values accordingly and produce the right result, you should be given credit :smile:
Reply 301
Original post by Jorgeyy
The mark scheme layout is mostly for the ease of use for the markers I believe,

As long as you follow the instructions and write down the values accordingly and produce the right result, you should be given credit :smile:

thanks!! just having a last minute panic! good luck!
Original post by JenniS
thanks!! just having a last minute panic! good luck!

It could be worse, trust me.

I have M1 at the same time so I am sitting that for 90mins before I even start this paper - why did I agree to do A2 FM in a year alongside my A2 Math? Haha.
Good luck guys!! Im travelling to school now!
Reply 304
Original post by WaNaBe
How did everyone find it? I hope I've done well, but something tells me the grade boundaries will be quite high.

I've always hated that about D1, 1 little slip up will cost you a lot of ums points.
This exam is NOT to be discussed AT ALL until 4.30am tomorrow morning. Please read the announcement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=373&a=629
Thread's open now. Discuss away!
The route inspection question, on canals, DID NOT SAY whether you're starting and finishing at the same point ?!

ahhhhhhhh Please show us the answers <3 thanks Arset
Original post by Moiraclaire
The route inspection question, on canals, DID NOT SAY whether you're starting and finishing at the same point ?!

ahhhhhhhh Please show us the answers <3 thanks Arset

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35972245&posted=1#post35972245

go here :biggrin:

it's the post exam discussion.
Reply 309

ahhhhhhhh Please show us the answers &lt;3 thanks Arset

EXACTLY! So I found a shorter route (139 miles) by starting and finishing at odd nodes!
Original post by Arsey
One of the most important things to understand with CPA is how the numbers in the boxes relate to the activities

For any activity

the top box at its starting event is the EARLY time; this is simply the earliest that the dependent activities COULD be completed by; thus it is the earliest POSSIBLE starting time.

the bottom box at its ending event is the LATE time; this is simply the latest time the activity MUST be completed by in order that a delay isn't made to the project.

The bottom box at the starting event and the top box at the ending event, have absolutely nothing to do with an event.

So when I say order the remaining activities by their late time...

List the remaining activities in alphabetical order

Beside each one record their late time (as described above)

reorder them in the order of the late times

assign them in this order to the first available worker

Thanks
Reply 311
Original post by Arsey
-

Hi Arsey I am planning to self teach this module (D1) from tomorrow (March 1st). I will be sitting the exam in May. Just curious are there any tricky topics in particular? I've heard from many students that the content itself is much easier to grasp than M1 therefore I have decided to self teach it.

Not quite sure if I need to get a tutor for some tricky topics / parts although if its straightforward then I'll stick by just completing it myself.

As far as ability goes - I've self taught C1 and C2 and got 85+ UMS. (A* at GCSE which doesn't really matter)

Think it can be done within the short timeframe?
Reply 312
Linear programming and path analysis are the most difficult.
Reply 313
Original post by Arsey
-

Can you help with this question please?

I thought to calculate the lower bound the formula is

sum of all activity times ÷\div critical time of project

Question:

Use your cascade chart to determine a lower bound for the number of workers needed. You must justify your answer.

Mark schemes answer: 4 workers needed e.g. at time 8 ½ (noon on day 9) activities E, D, F and G must be happening.

What does 8 1/2 have to do with anything? Edexcel past-papers use a whole different concept within past-papers than their own textbook..

How would you calculate the lower bound? In the textbook it states you must add up all activity times in the original critical path analysis chart and divide by critical time of project. But in past-papers it's a total different concept

I used the method of sum of all activity times ÷\div critical time of project.

I added up all the activity times which is 59.

59 ÷\div 22 = 2.68 .... Rounding up means we need 3 workers.

A totally different answer from the mark scheme..
Any revision notes or guides anyone can share?
Original post by isp
Can you help with this question please?

I thought to calculate the lower bound the formula is

sum of all activity times ÷\div critical time of project

Question:

Use your cascade chart to determine a lower bound for the number of workers needed. You must justify your answer.

Mark schemes answer: 4 workers needed e.g. at time 8 ½ (noon on day 9) activities E, D, F and G must be happening.

What does 8 1/2 have to do with anything? Edexcel past-papers use a whole different concept within past-papers than their own textbook..

How would you calculate the lower bound? In the textbook it states you must add up all activity times in the original critical path analysis chart and divide by critical time of project. But in past-papers it's a total different concept

I used the method of sum of all activity times ÷\div critical time of project.

I added up all the activity times which is 59.

59 ÷\div 22 = 2.68 .... Rounding up means we need 3 workers.

A totally different answer from the mark scheme..

I got the same answer as you...... unless we have both made a fundamental error somewhere in the question.

Which paper was this if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 316
I have updated the first page to include the Jan 12 paper and model answers.
Reply 317
Anyone got a particularly difficult hard/interesting question which they could recommend? I've run out of past papers to do so I'd appreciate it if you could direct me to any extension questions you've found. :smile:
Original post by Tanmayee
Anyone got a particularly difficult hard/interesting question which they could recommend? I've run out of past papers to do so I'd appreciate it if you could direct me to any extension questions you've found. :smile:

lol me too but i have a question for you i was wondering if you can help me please for complete matchings right the last part i get the matchings correct the complete one but then from my complete matchings how can i create a path cause there has to be a path ?

do you get my point
Reply 319
Original post by otrivine
lol me too but i have a question for you i was wondering if you can help me please for complete matchings right the last part i get the matchings correct the complete one but then from my complete matchings how can i create a path cause there has to be a path ?

do you get my point

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but the path is just the 'daisy chain' as my teacher calls it. I.e., where you write out for example E-5=A-2=B-3=F-1=C-4, and then change status. That should be enough for the path and the list it usually asks for is a list such as
E=5
A=2
B=3
etc.

The list comes after the path because the path is what you use to find the complete matching. Hope this makes a little sense? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest