The Student Room Group

A-level choices

I am in Year 10 at the moment, and starting to consider A level choices.
I want to go to University, but I am not sure what I would like to study - possibly English or Law - so I want to keep my options open. I also want to choose A levels that are respected and could get me in to a good university.
At the moment I am considering taking:
English Literature
History (early/late)
Maths
Spanish
I am also wondering about taking Further Maths, as a 5th A level, would this be too much?
Any comments/ advice/ guidance is welcome

I am predicted A* in my 13 GCSEs

Thank you
Reply 1
You don't need it, I've not heard of anywhere asking for 5 AS, but if you enjoy it and think you can cope with it go for it.

Nearer the time you can always weight it up again and even start the course then drop it if it gets too much, as you don't actually need it.
Reply 2
I think that you are probably best just to go with the 4 A Levels, whilst you are clearly intelligent it is still worth focusing your energy on a smaller concentration of work to ensure you acheive the best grades possible as it is these that will earn you a University place.
Reply 3
Okay, thanks :smile:
Are the other subjects good choices?
Reply 4
Original post by 08jennia
I am in Year 10 at the moment, and starting to consider A level choices.
I want to go to University, but I am not sure what I would like to study - possibly English or Law - so I want to keep my options open. I also want to choose A levels that are respected and could get me in to a good university.
At the moment I am considering taking:
English Literature
History (early/late)
Maths
Spanish
I am also wondering about taking Further Maths, as a 5th A level, would this be too much?
Any comments/ advice/ guidance is welcome

I am predicted A* in my 13 GCSEs

Thank you

If you're predicted 13A*s in your GCSEs, and you get those grades or similar grades and you continue to do so through to A-level, it probably doesn't matter what A-levels you have.

I study law at present and my subjects at A-level were Spanish, Business Studies and Geography...I also studied religion in AS level. My grades were A*AA and got into law no problem.
Reply 5
I think those A level choices are fine - I would only take four though five isn't really necessary unless you're really good at maths and further maths is no skin off your back.
Reply 6
erm, I've been getting A*s in GCSE maths practise papers, and I am doing ADD Maths, so I don't really know what to do :/
Any advice from anyone who has done/ is doing Further Maths? Is it a lot of work?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Hello :smile:

Everyone at my school who has taken further maths got MEGA stressed at some point over this past year (AS)... and I would only do it if you are REALLY good at Maths. Someone in my year took it because they didn't know what else to do and has been forced to give it up because she failed in Jan :frown: Doesn't sound like that'll happen to you but I just put it out there for a bit of an insight into how hard it is.

Concerning English Lit and History... I've done my AS levels now (last exam this Tuesday :woo: ) and I have absolutely LOVED them. There's a big jump from GCSE to AS level, but despite this I have enjoyed them very much. Spanish I have no idea on... but English and History for sure, and be wary of Further Maths unless you're absolutely sure as my friends have found it very difficult.
Reply 8
okay, thats really helpful to know :smile:
and good about english lit and history, they do sound interesting :smile: which history course are you doing?
To echo the sentiments of the above poster, English Literature and History are fantastic! Both are challenging (history in terms of memory, Lit in terms of analytical technique) but really interesting - I think so, anyway!

I don't know if it'll be the same for you but the History AS which I've just finished comprised of two papers - England from 1483-1529 (Richard III, Henry VII, Henry VIII) and Stalin's Russia which goes from 1921-1941...I preferred Tudor history but enjoyed them both!

Go with what you enjoy - the worst possible scenario is to be waking up in the morning and dreading your lessons. A couple of my friends took subjects like further maths, chemistry, physics, economics etc. - not to say they're bad subjects at all, they just weren't suited to my friend's interests - and loathed them. Enjoyment makes studying A Levels so much easier!
Reply 10
Original post by JakeAReynolds
To echo the sentiments of the above poster, English Literature and History are fantastic! Both are challenging (history in terms of memory, Lit in terms of analytical technique) but really interesting - I think so, anyway!

I don't know if it'll be the same for you but the History AS which I've just finished comprised of two papers - England from 1483-1529 (Richard III, Henry VII, Henry VIII) and Stalin's Russia which goes from 1921-1941...I preferred Tudor history but enjoyed them both!

Go with what you enjoy - the worst possible scenario is to be waking up in the morning and dreading your lessons. A couple of my friends took subjects like further maths, chemistry, physics, economics etc. - not to say they're bad subjects at all, they just weren't suited to my friend's interests - and loathed them. Enjoyment makes studying A Levels so much easier!

Couldn't have said it better, this is so true. This sounds cheesy but you must go with your heart. Some people pick subjects that they have little interest in, i.e. Chemistry, because it "opens doors". It is best to study something you will enjoy revising and engaging in otherwise College will not be a fun time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending