The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by adam_johnson
My Multiple choice answers were:
ADDBB ACCAB CDDBA AACCD DCBDB ACDAB AABDB BCADD

I match with you on 33 of them :biggrin:
Read enough of this thread to realise I missed out the last question and make me feel a tad depressed... not going to read any more :P

Our year gets the weirdest, hardest Higher Chemistry in years, and then the weirdest, hardest AH Chemistry in years. *Sigh*.
Original post by john4994
I match with you on 33 of them :biggrin:

Can you post your answers on here, so I can compare them to yours as well?
Maybe we can work out what most people have for each question. :smile:
ADDBB BDCAA BDDBA AACCD BCBDB ACDAB BABDB CCCDD, i expect many will be wrong but... :tongue:
Original post by adam_johnson
My Multiple choice answers were:
ADDBB ACCAB CDDBA AACCD DCBDB ACDAB AABDB BCADD

i match you on 32...

Original post by Catriona635
My multiple choice answers. Some of which I already know are wrong.
ACCAB BDCAA CDDBA AACCD
CCDDB DCDBB ABBDB CDACD

:smile: X

and you on 26, it's not looking disastrous! :smile:
Multi Choice Answers:

ADDBB BDCCB CBDCA ABBCD BCBDD ACDCB BABDA CDCDD

Most of it is probably wrong, I know i've made a few simpler errors.
My MC answers will upload Written Later:

ADDAB BDCCA CDDBA AACCD CCBDB ACDAB BABDB BCADD
Reply 127
I got:
ADDBB BCCAC CBDBA CACCA CBDDD ABDAB AABDB CCBDD
I made loads of silly mistakes! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
For the kinetics question, the first graph is order 1, not order 0 since as you double the concentration of A from 0.2 mol/l to 0.4 mol/l you half the time (40 seconds to 20 seconds) i.e. doubling the reaction rate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129
I got:
ACDBB BDCBC BDDBA DACAD BCDAB ACDAB CABCB BBCCD

I has matched others' at 20, 23, 24, and 28 out of 40... Not sure if thats good or bad :L
Original post by tompy123
I actually felt as though I got on really well in that exam. I noticed too that the paper was heavily based on unit 3, but unit 3 is probably my best unit :P

Also, for the kinetics question, the first graph is order 1, not order 0 since as you double the concentration of A from 0.2 mol/l to 0.4 mol/l you half the time (40 seconds to 20 seconds) i.e. doubling the reaction rate.

Its not its zero order i looked the question up online, there is an identical graph with it stating it's zero order, it would be first order if the graph was of reaction rate vs concentration, but because it was time its not
Original post by NMx11
I got:
ADDBB BCCAC CBDBA CACCA CBDDD ABDAB AABDB CCBDD
I made loads of silly mistakes! :tongue:

I refused to copy down my multiple choice answers I knew this thread would just depress me. :tongue:
Original post by derangedyoshi
Read enough of this thread to realise I missed out the last question and make me feel a tad depressed... not going to read any more :P

Our year gets the weirdest, hardest Higher Chemistry in years, and then the weirdest, hardest AH Chemistry in years. *Sigh*.

:five:

My heart sank when I heard somebody talking about a proton nmr graph. I just thought "...what nmr graph?!"

It was only four marks though :redface:
Original post by tompy123
For the kinetics question, the first graph is order 1, not order 0 since as you double the concentration of A from 0.2 mol/l to 0.4 mol/l you half the time (40 seconds to 20 seconds) i.e. doubling the reaction rate.

A graph of concentration against time. "The gradient of the slope can be calculated to give a value of for the rate in mol l^-1 s-1. Since the gradient of the graph is constant with respect to iodine concentration, [I2], we can conclude that the reaction is zero order with respect to [I2]" (Gibb & Hawley, 2010)
Reply 134
Original post by jonnywalsh
Its not its zero order i looked the question up online, there is an identical graph with it stating it's zero order, it would be first order if the graph was of reaction rate vs concentration, but because it was time its not

Okay. It looks like the graph shows that the time for the reaction is dependant on the concentration of A?

I see where I've gone wrong: Ais independant since the time doesn't always half when the concentration is doubled i.e. 0.1 mol/l to 0.2mol/l reduces the time from 50 seconds to 40 seconds. Oops :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Sorry about how long this has taken me.... Any explanations just ask...

Also please tell me where i went wrong thanks :smile:

ADDAB BDCCA CDDBA AACCD CCBDB ACDAB BABDB BCADD

1 a)i) 295.6 ii) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10
b) Photoconductive/voltaic
c)Positive holes

2a)i)5 ii) 3
b)2HNO2 + 4e- +4H+ ----->>>> H2N2O2 + 2H2O
c) dicyanocuprate(I)

3a) ionic radii
b) 6 chlorine surrounding 1 sodium vice versa
c) KF
d)i) hydration of both ions and lattice enthalpy
ii) Increase in entropy

4a) Trigonal Planar
b) Lone pair of electrons from oxygen donated to form bond, ie only oxygen electrons in bond.
c) ethers

5a) 3.95g
b) Tap water was used which contains metal ions, using deionised would have removed this problem and hence more accurate
c) Copper formed a complex as well as nickel.

6a) Separating Funnel
b)0.13
c) The temperature was different
d) Ethanol is soluble in water due to hydrogen bonding and hence will not partition

7a) 0.575 mol l^-1
b) Hard to see the colour change as the solution is dark brown and hence the equivalence point will be inaccurate
c) CH3COO- (aq)

8a) 500K-> 2000K
b) Since gradient is -entropy, a downwards line represents an increase in entropy.
c)Boiling point of Mg

9)1.45

10) a) 1
B)0
C) s^-1

11)a)i) Hydrogen ii) Hydrogen Chloride
b)i) Acid Chlorides
ii)meh cba
iii) Faster and goes to completion as it is not an equilibrium. Also means greater yield

12a) C8 H14 S2 O2
bi) The one with 3 lines coming out of it
ii) 4 different functional groups and hence asymmetric. Hence Chiral ----> optically active

13a) To make sure that none of the reactants/ products escape on heating
b) Hydrolysis
c) Anti bumping Granules
d) No oily residue remains
e) 3.36g

14a)i) Electrophilic Substitution ii) Phenylamine ( The funny thing is that this question is incorrect as NaOH is required to turn the salt into the phenlyamine but oh well... :biggrin: )
b)i) Check the internet for structure
ii) One double bond no overall charge

15a) Secondary halogenoalkane

b) meh cba

c) Two peaks excluding TMS at 1 and 2 with the peak at 1 having a height of 6 and the peak at 2 having a height of 2.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 136
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I refused to copy down my multiple choice answers I knew this thread would just depress me. :tongue:

Haha, don't blame you! Although tbh i do feel a little better knowing that I have some questions right! :L
This is my first post on TSR so am not sure how this whole thing works but I have the answers my teacher gave me for the multiple choice. He did them pretty quick so there may be a couple mistakes he said.

ADDAB BDCCA CDDBA AACCD CCBDB ACDAB BABDB BDADD
Reply 138
I knew it was zero order because of the PPA on the iodine kinetics, the graph gradient is constant, and therefore 0 order wrt A/iodine/whatever.
Original post by victoria-x
This is my first post on TSR so am not sure how this whole thing works but I have the answers my teacher gave me for the multiple choice. He did them pretty quick so there may be a couple mistakes he said.

ADDAB BDCCA CDDBA AACCD CCBDB ACDAB BABDB BDADD

I concur with all except 37.

Quick Reply