The Student Room Group

Attitudes Towards Sizable Tattoos on Men and Women, a Comprehensive Poll

Poll

Attitudes Towards Sizable Tattoos on Men and Women

What with there being evermore people with tats, some awe inspiringly creative/beautiful, some frankly rather unfortunate - and with their having become synonymous with guys who want to look 'hard' (the Zyzz's of this world) or 'arty', increasingly commonplace on the lower backs of certain groups of girls (usually of the decidedly orange variety), plus the emo sleeve-tat craze - I'd be interested to know what y'all think..

N.B. By "Sizable" I mean anything other than a small/discrete tat that is easily hidden/missed at a glance. By "add something" I mean enhance intrigue and/or beauty on balance
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
What with there being evermore people with tats, some awe inspiringly creative/beautiful, some frankly rather unfortunate - and with their having become synonymous with guys who want to look 'hard' (the Zyzz's of this world) or 'arty', increasingly commonplace on the lower backs of certain groups of girls (usually of the decidedly orange variety), plus the emo sleeve-tat craze - I'd be interested to know what y'all think..

N.B. By "Sizable" I mean anything other than a small/discrete tat that is easily hidden/missed at a glance. By "add something" I mean enhance intrigue and/or beauty on balance

I've never seen a tattoo that I would react to as 'that looks good'. The only reaction I've ever had to tattoos is either 'meh' (so no reaction at all) or 'wow that looks bad'.
Reply 2
I rarely see any good tattoos these days though. Theyre all either pointless designs that look bad or just a mess.
I think tattoos can look really amazing on women, since they can tend towards more flowing, delicate designs.

Whereas tattoos on men carry a certain stigma, and are often more aggressively styled.
Reply 4
That has got to the be the most difficult to read poll ever. My eyes hurt.

As for tattoos, it honestly depends what it is and where it is. For girls nowadays it just seems like THE thing to get done, and then flash photos of it on facebook. Not sure about the lads.

I think if there's meaning behind a tattoo then that's okay, but getting one for the sake of getting one is a bit dumb I think, especially as they can end up looking stupid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
As long as the tattoo isn't visible while wearing a t-shirt and knee-length shorts then I'm fine with it.
Reply 6
Male no tats, but they don't add anything to a person. They still have the same personality tattoo or not.
Reply 7
Tattoos are a digusting thing however small, especially the stars people get on their feet.

Original post by Zyyz
Male no tats, but they don't add anything to a person. They still have the same personality tattoo or not.

generally people who get tattoos have awful personalities
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I have 2 tattoos and I'm female.

Both are latin phrases in a girly font, one is under my left breast and the other is across my right hip.

One is latin for "Everything happens for a reason" and the other is " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I was never a massive fan of tattoos and I think they depend on the person, I am a nurse so mine have to be hidden and the only time they are really seen are on holiday (or in the bedroom)

Mine are personal to me and both cost £100 +

I think tattooing is an art and if the tattoo is arty then its acceptable.

I cannot stand half-hearted rubbishy chavvy tattoos that are done by tattooist NOT tattoo artists.
Original post by TheHansa
Tattoos are a digusting thing however small, especially the stars people get on their feet.

Wow, that's judgemental.

If that was the case you'd be covered head-to-foot, making judgemental comments like that.
Reply 11
Original post by bananaslug77
Wow, that's judgemental.

People who have tattoos have awful personalities?
I'm a nurse.....does that mean I have an awful personality and you wouldn't let me treat you?
Tattoos are a bit like graffiti- some are very beautiful but the majority look cheap and horrible.
Original post by Bryoni
People who have tattoos have awful personalities?
I'm a nurse.....does that mean I have an awful personality and you wouldn't let me treat you?

I don't think you meant to quote me there? Haha
Silly poll options. Voting that it "tends to add something" could be a positive or negative. Positive if it makes them look more attractive for example, or negative if it makes them look like a douchebag :facepalm: This poll is pointless.
Reply 15
Original post by bananaslug77
I don't think you meant to quote me there? Haha

No I didnt haha, it was because you quoted TheHansa...

I will try again!
Usually I'm pretty indifferent to tattoos. It's quite easy for them to look trashy, and I'm not a fan of people who take their own tattoos too seriously (in the same way that I'm not a fan of people who think that their clothes are really important to who they are) but it's entirely possible for tattoos to look really interesting, and some people make them work very well for them.

To be perfectly honest, I just know very few people with tattoos thanks to a social circle that consists almost exclusively of nerds, so it's not something I think about a great deal.
Reply 17

I am a nurse and I have tattoos ( they are hidden) does that mean I have an awful personality and you wouldnt let me treat you ??
Reply 18
Your poll raped my eyes, by the way.
Pretty sure Zyzz wasn't trying to look hard, he was all about being a sick **** and not a hard ****.

Quick Reply