The Student Room Group

Time of death question

I'm quite bewildered as to why 'skin colour' supposedly affects the degree of algor mortis, according to edexcel snab's mark scheme :confused:

Anyone know why/how?
Reply 1
Original post by TheStudent.
I'm quite bewildered as to why 'skin colour' supposedly affects the degree of algor mortis, according to edexcel snab's mark scheme :confused:

Anyone know why/how?

That's a very interesting question. I've just done some research and I also can't see any link between algor mortis and skin colour. However, there is definitely a link between skin colour and pallor mortis, which occurs when the body becomes paler after death and occurs quickest in those with lighter skin. I do Edexcel A2 SNAB as well but haven't seen that question before - which paper is it from? I would probably stick to the more obvious factors affecting post-mortem cooling, such as humidity, air movement, clothing, body size etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Cetacea
That's a very interesting question. I've just done some research and I also can't see any link between algor mortis and skin colour. However, there is definitely a link between skin colour and pallor mortis, which occurs when the body becomes paler after death and occurs quickest in those with lighter skin. I do Edexcel A2 SNAB as well but haven't seen that question before - which paper is it from? I would probably stick to the more obvious factors affecting post-mortem cooling, such as humidity, air movement, clothing, body size etc.

The link between skin colour and pallor mortis sounds reasonable, but temperature and skin colour??? :confused:

June 2010, question 1.c. They had about 10 different answers to choose from to gain three marks.

If its not true I wouldn't be suprised! Its not the first time they've messed up anyways :wink: last years paper was out of 79 instead of 80 because one of the answers they put up on the translation of an mRNA strand, or something along those lines, was wrong :colone:.

Yep thats exactly what im going to do :biggrin:

Good luck in your exams!
Reply 3
Original post by TheStudent.
The link between skin colour and pallor mortis sounds reasonable, but temperature and skin colour??? :confused:

June 2010, question 1.c. They had about 10 different answers to choose from to gain three marks.

If its not true I wouldn't be suprised! Its not the first time they've messed up anyways :wink: last years paper was out of 79 instead of 80 because one of the answers they put up on the translation of an mRNA strand, or something along those lines, was wrong :colone:.

Yep thats exactly what im going to do :biggrin:

Good luck in your exams!

I did that paper with the mistake on it, and I didn't actually notice it when I was in the exam. However afterwards people were saying how none of the options made sense, and then Edexcel released a statement apologising for the mistake.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending