The Student Room Group

Age Gap

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bruich
What is an acceptable age gap?

what are the limits?

I'm sure most men would think that it was ok for a 25ish year old to date a girl maybe 6 or 7 years younger

so thats like what man (25) girl (18) or something.

What does everyone else think.

Anything over 18 is fair game for either sex, no matter what the age.

However, can't disagree that it IS somewhat creepy, but...why should it be? I mean yes, they WOULD have gone through different experiences, and be at different stages in their life, but as long as both parties come to terms with this what's wrong with that?
Reply 21
Original post by MaddiieJAYY
Hey, I'm 18 and I get guys 26 trying to talk to me, I run the other way. It feels a bit creepy to me, I get the feeling that older guys are going to play me because they think I'm weak, helpless and an easy target.

I suppose it depends on the girl, some girls like older guys because they think they're more mature.

For me under 5 years

Play you?

They want to shag you and be done with it. Thats what I've done in my first year of uni :biggrin:
There is no law that dictates who you can and can't be with. The half your age plus 7 rule is only spouted by either single people, or people whose own relationships are so dire that they feel the need to have some degree of control over other people's relationships.

I'm nearly 18 and I've been with my boyfriend, who is 9 years older, for a year and a half - we got a lot of hassle for it at the start, from some of my friends (they're not my friends anymore) who didn't seem to care that I was happy and he was happy, they assumed my parents would be totally against it (they're not - they love him because he looks after me, is amazing with my little brother and sister and is always helpful and polite, and not like some 17 year old boy who only wants one thing). Once that argument failed, they started calling him a paedophile. They're too stupid to realize that he can't be a paedophile by definition, and clearly they also don't understand the concept of an age of consent or the fact that as long as both parties are legal, age doesn't matter if you're at similar levels of maturity.

I had to grow up very fast and was quite mature compared to my friends thanks to my upbringing, whereas he's quite fun-loving and very funny, so we kind of meet in the middle in terms of maturity. We have lots in common - we met through a mutual hobby - and our relationship has been much more succesful and lasted longer than any of those of the people who mocked us, which I think shows just how wrong they were.

Sorry for the long story, but I think it's about time sad people with nothing better to do than create rubbish rules about relationships learned that not every case is exactly the same :smile:
I have a friend who's 21 (guy) and seeing a 16 nearly 17yo, what do people think of that?
Reply 24
Original post by madders94
There is no law that dictates who you can and can't be with. The half your age plus 7 rule is only spouted by either single people, or people whose own relationships are so dire that they feel the need to have some degree of control over other people's relationships.

I'm nearly 18 and I've been with my boyfriend, who is 9 years older, for a year and a half - we got a lot of hassle for it at the start, from some of my friends (they're not my friends anymore) who didn't seem to care that I was happy and he was happy, they assumed my parents would be totally against it (they're not - they love him because he looks after me, is amazing with my little brother and sister and is always helpful and polite, and not like some 17 year old boy who only wants one thing). Once that argument failed, they started calling him a paedophile. They're too stupid to realize that he can't be a paedophile by definition, and clearly they also don't understand the concept of an age of consent or the fact that as long as both parties are legal, age doesn't matter if you're at similar levels of maturity.

I had to grow up very fast and was quite mature compared to my friends thanks to my upbringing, whereas he's quite fun-loving and very funny, so we kind of meet in the middle in terms of maturity. We have lots in common - we met through a mutual hobby - and our relationship has been much more succesful and lasted longer than any of those of the people who mocked us, which I think shows just how wrong they were.

Sorry for the long story, but I think it's about time sad people with nothing better to do than create rubbish rules about relationships learned that not every case is exactly the same :smile:

Out of curiosity, do you plan on going to bangor?
Original post by dgeorge
Out of curiosity, do you plan on going to bangor?

Yes :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by madders94
Yes :smile:

Ok, I was there last year (did my Masters) hope you have fun!
I'm 18 and my boyfriend's 22, my friends thought he was with me for one thing but they couldn't be more wrong! I like that he's that bit more mature so I can speak to him easier :yes:
Reply 28
'The rule' is:
Take the person's age (the older one in the [potential] relationship) divide it by 2. Add 7. You have the approximate minimum age of a person it would be appropriate for them to date.
On that note. My boyfriend and I started going out when I was 17 and he was 23!
I'm 21, he's 27, we've been together for just over 2 years. Not had any problems relating to age yet.
Original post by magicman1
Play you?

They want to shag you and be done with it. Thats what I've done in my first year of uni :biggrin:

This is why I cant trust males... no decent and loyal guys around.
Reply 31
Original post by Bruich
no thats normal. :smile:

i think its accepted at about 4 years is right isn't it.

Just wondering how much older you would go?

what about a 25 year old?

Iam 24 right now and been out with girl who's gonna be' 18.
I Just growing her in my hands :cool:
Reply 32
Original post by MaddiieJAYY
This is why I cant trust males... no decent and loyal guys around.

Trust males?

Why should a man do anything other than shag around to see whats out there when he is young?

I know there are girls around me who are girlfriend material but that number is counted on one hand. Most women are atrocious under the surface and are not worth the effort.
Im 18 y/o guy (nearly 19)..i would go out with a girl up to 24? I think they're more mature to speak to...and its kinda nice to have someone who 'could' look after you haha and just generally know more
I think for a serious relationship people should either be of similar age or the man should be older but thats my opinion. Different things work for different people and the only reason I think that is because personally I'm attracted to older men and I think when women reach their late twenties they usually start to want kids and their body clocks are ticking whereas men remain fertile until they're much older and they aren't usually in quite so much of a hurry. Also in my eyes men should know what they are doing and I find experience and worldly knowledge very attractive.

At 16-17 I think it's a little bit odd if the guy is over 20 because I find it difficult to understand how a guy of that age would want to go out with a girl who can't even go out and have a drink yet. If both people are over 18 then I don't really see any problems to be honest.

I don't agree with the 'half your age plus 7' rule because as I said.. if you're both adults and you're happy with what each other want from the relationship, you find each other attractive and get on well.. I don't see a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest