The Student Room Group

Higher English Exam next week?..aw man.

Does anyone know how many marks you need in close reading alone to score an A?
B even?

Also how is everyone studying for close reading? any good tips? im okay with critical essays..just hope GOOD questions come up that are answerable...

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

hahahah english wow.... im not going to revise im just going to wing it.

for example i done an essay in class and got 13/25

then we done the same task again and i copied my essay (cheated) word for word and correcting my mistakes

i got 11/25

English has to be the worst and most pointless subject that i soooo inconsistent
(edited 11 years ago)
Referring to your title, i feel the exact same way!

As for your questions, a close reading is out of 50 marks. I'm really not sure at all, but if i had to guess id say for an A you'd be looking to gain around 35 marks?
As for close reading studying, i'm leaving it REEAALLLYYY late for English studying this year, so when the time comes i'm just going to do close reading past papers. That's the only way you can study for close reading really..

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Well for the last three years the the lowest mark for an A has been 64-5% :biggrin:
Reply 4
I'm pretty much praying for ~64% grade boundary again this year. I hate English, mainly because the marking of everything is down to the individual marker that you get and it's so unpredictable /:
Reply 5
Original post by Connor Wyse
hahahah english wow.... im not going to revise im just going to wing it.

for example i done an essay in class and got 13/25

then we done the same task again and i copied my essay (cheated) word for word and correcting my mistakes

i got 11/25

English has to be the worst and most pointless subject that i soooo inconsistent

Depends on the marker, if they like your style and if you have included the parts they find revelant
I feel the same, did a practice essay got 21 then that one came up in my prelim and bam down to 17 (Ps. I do not cheat or endorse it):confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Direct15
Depends on the marker, if they like your style and if you have included the parts they find revelant
I feel the same, did a practice essay got 21 then that one came up in my prelim and bam down to 17 (Ps. I do not cheat or endorse it):confused:

I think everyone makes the marking seem a lot worse than it is. Yes, it may vary by a couple of marks by each marker but realistically the markers all know what a good essay looks like, a bad one and a really good one.
Reply 7
Are you saying my essay was good?

I like maths better, one single answer no interpretation
Reply 8
Had a 5 hour English masterclass today. If i don't pass on Thursday, i actually will cry
Reply 9
I think English is the exam I'm most worried about :/ I really do hope the essay questions are good !
Reply 10
If it's any comfort, I did Higher English last year and hated every minute of it - I can't write essays or do close reading to save my life and I failed both prelims (got an F both times... :colondollar:) - in fact I failed the second worse even worse than the first - and managed to get a solid B in the final exam :biggrin: so there is hope! Good luck to everyone, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Rhi93
If it's any comfort, I did Higher English last year and hated every minute of it - I can't write essays or do close reading to save my life and I failed both prelims (got an F both times... :colondollar:) - in fact I failed the second worse even worse than the first - and managed to get a solid B in the final exam :biggrin: so there is hope! Good luck to everyone, you'll be fine :smile:

Thanks for the confidence. Im still going to fail horribly tho.
Reply 12
Original post by Connor Wyse
Thanks for the confidence. Im still going to fail horribly tho.

That's what I said to myself, and I still passed. Believe in yourself :smile:
Reply 13
Do we get booklet(like sg) in order to write our answers or single sheets of paper

Just asking
Reply 14
Original post by Direct15
Do we get booklet(like sg) in order to write our answers or single sheets of paper

Just asking

You get a booklet like at Standard Grade :smile:
I'm worried too, we haven't had a consistent teacher and a lot of the time not even English teachers taking us. We've not looked and our drama script since pre-lim revison due to lack of time, hardly any decent teaching on poems and pretty much no prose analysis outside of reading the book. So so so worried about this exam!:frown:
Reply 16
Original post by Melancholymelody
I'm worried too, we haven't had a consistent teacher and a lot of the time not even English teachers taking us. We've not looked and our drama script since pre-lim revison due to lack of time, hardly any decent teaching on poems and pretty much no prose analysis outside of reading the book. So so so worried about this exam!:frown:

Same here, I've had several teachers throughout this year, all of whom contradict one another. Complete nightmare and I'm totally dreading Thursday as a result!
Reply 17
I really hope we get good essay questions.. i better go and study though. Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Melancholymelody

Original post by kirstyhr
Same here, I've had several teachers throughout this year, all of whom contradict one another. Complete nightmare and I'm totally dreading Thursday as a result!

I'm with you on this too! I think most English departments must be awful if people are without good teaching this much :frown:
Reply 19
Did anyone findthe 2011 close reading a bit harder ? Feel.like I'm gona fail now :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending