The Student Room Group

15TH MAY AQA AS HISTORY EXAM tsarist russia

anybody have an idea as to what might come up?
ive revised so much and none of it seems to have stuck, panicking is not the word!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Im cacking it
I've looked at the papers since Jan 2009 - June 2011 and Alexander II's reforms seem to be a recurring topic as well as the failing of the Provisional Government
Reply 2
yeah thats kinda what i thought! i'm cacking it too!
oh dearrr :frown:
Reply 3
AQA seem to love their economy questions as well :tongue:
Reply 4
just gets better! :'(
Reply 5
Original post by hannahjayrees
just gets better! :'(

It'll be fine, there's usually 2 questions everyone finds they're able to answer and just focus on the positives. You probably know a lot more than you think you do :wink:
Reply 6
How did everyone find the Russia exam? What qs did you pick and info did you put? Actually thought it was ok! I think... Anyone doing Britain and Ireland? :*(
Reply 7
found it alright actually, all that panic for nothing! did questions 1/2 and 5/6 :smile:
AQA is easy to predict! was about alexander II and the provisional government after all!
Reply 8
I did questions 6 and 7. Got lucky at the end, as you know, you have to tick the question you are answering in the booklet before you write, anyhow I forgot to do this for the second question but luckily with seconds to go, I realised, and it was OK haha.

The questions were great in my opinion, very nice, but saying that there was none that i was not prepared for. Except for Culture which i had done less revision for than the other topics.

I am also doing Britain and Ireland, unfortunately, hate that topic. However on the plus side there are sources which you can just base your knowledge on.
Reply 9
By the way, I should add, I did Edexcel.
Reply 10
I think it went well :smile: I did questions 1/2 and 5/6. Question 5 was a bit unexpected but I reckon I managed it okay, question 6 was a gift :smile:
Reply 11
GeorgeN11,

I also do edexcel and answered the questions I think you've said. The one where if Trotsky was the most important factor in the survival of the Bolshevik government and then the one about the leadership battle? Thought they were both gifts of a question.
Reply 12
Yh, thats it,

6 was about Trotsky, while 7 was about the Leadership Struggle.
I did 1/2 and 5/6 as well. What did everyone write for question 5? Also, question 6 was a godsend. Couldnt have hoped for a better pair of 24's :colone:
Reply 14
I did question 1/2 and 3/4.

What points did people put down for 'why did Nicholas II introduce the fundemental laws'?

I think the exam went well but I'm hoping that the boundaries aren't too high in August.
Reply 15
I did edexcel, not aqa. The nick11 qs, and the power struggle. So glad, because wasn't fond of the other 2 options. Yeah, in britain and Ireland, there are sources to use ,but prefer own knowledge. Wish we did a more interesting topic then britain and Ireland, enjoyed Russia a lot more! :smile:
Reply 16
Pretty good exam questions wise, looks like I was right :wink:
Reply 17
Hi guys, I did the edexcel exam, and I did question 5 and 7, about Nicholas II's role in his downfall and Stalin's rise to power, anybody else do those? If so, will you please tell me which points you made and what you said, I'm having a panic attack because I think I haven't answered correctly, I'd love to compare:smile: Thanks
Original post by shaminn
I did question 1/2 and 3/4.

What points did people put down for 'why did Nicholas II introduce the fundemental laws'?

I think the exam went well but I'm hoping that the boundaries aren't too high in August.

I found the fundamental laws question very difficult. But I'm not so strong on Alexander II/III so I went for it. I put to reassert respect for authority following assassinations and concessions of October Manifesto, to reinstate his position as the 'supreme autocratic power' to quell discontent and ensure 1905 revolution did not reoccur and to pave the way for Stolypin (a factor that made little sense!)
What did you put?
Reply 19
Original post by izzabellezi
I found the fundamental laws question very difficult. But I'm not so strong on Alexander II/III so I went for it. I put to reassert respect for authority following assassinations and concessions of October Manifesto, to reinstate his position as the 'supreme autocratic power' to quell discontent and ensure 1905 revolution did not reoccur and to pave the way for Stolypin (a factor that made little sense!)
What did you put?

That sounds like a solid answer if you ask me.

Well i chose to say the following:
The Tsar wanted to reassert control over the country after losing legal powers to the Duma

The Tsar wanted to reinstate/remind the people that he was the supreme leader of Russia

The Tsar never wanted to issue the October Manifesto and only did so because of Witte, so he went back on it in the Fundemental Laws.

Hopefully that is a decent answer and I will be please if that picks up about 10 marks. Really need that A!

What did you write for the Question on instability of Russia and how the Regime managed to deal with it? (Question 2, Part 2)

Quick Reply