The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can we still appeal this year or have the rules changed?
Is 86% in my Prelim Alone a Solid boundary to Appeal with? I'm just wondering because the final Exam itself was quite Hard! I'm sitting Higher Technological Studies:smile:
Reply 582
Original post by Granter2306
Is 86% in my Prelim Alone a Solid boundary to Appeal with? I'm just wondering because the final Exam itself was quite Hard! I'm sitting Higher Technological Studies:smile:

I would like to think so, but i know some people who have gotten a solid A in the prelim, ****ed up the final exam and didn't get an appeal.
Reply 583
Is it possible to appeal if you don't fully meet your university offer conditions in the final exam but did/partially did in your prelims?

I noticed that appeals aren't processed until september which seems unfair for those trying to get into uni.
Reply 584
Original post by ingridd
Is it possible to appeal if you don't fully meet your university offer conditions in the final exam but did/partially did in your prelims?

I noticed that appeals aren't processed until september which seems unfair for those trying to get into uni.

An emergency appeal can go in for those needing the answer for a uni place and you usually hear just before the 31 August deadline.
Reply 585
Hello,

I recently sat my Higher English exam and I thought I did well in the Close Reading section of the exam. However, I fell I did not perform to the best of my abilities when writing the essays. The pressure of the exam got to me I and I do not feel that the essays are of as high a standard as I would have hoped.

I sat two prelims for Higher English and I got a B in both of them. I also have a strong folio. With my two prelim grades and folio would I be able to appeal for Higher English if my final grade is below a B?
If you appeal in August 2012 and you are sucessful when will your new results come through?
Original post by scottish19
does anyone know what the percentage is roughly for an A band one?

70%
Reply 588
Original post by Jennifer A Brown
If you appeal in August 2012 and you are sucessful when will your new results come through?

It depends on if it is for standard grades or highers. I think the standard grade ones come out in November although I may be wrong.
Reply 589
Original post by scottish19
does anyone know what the percentage is roughly for an A band one?

Usually 85%
Reply 590
I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion?

In higher physics I believe I at least have a B3 and I have been a straight A student all year around. I received 75 per cent in my first prelim and 81 per cent in my second one , any chance of an appeal? All the extra tests I've done are A's

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 591
Original post by Direct15
I was wondering if someone could give me their opinion?

In higher physics I believe I at least have a B3 and I have been a straight A student all year around. I received 75 per cent in my first prelim and 81 per cent in my second one , any chance of an appeal? All the extra tests I've done are A's

Well of course there's a chance, but it depends on whether the prelims impress the SQA.
Reply 592
Original post by mimx
Well of course there's a chance, but it depends on whether the prelims impress the SQA.

Most of the year failed, I think the average was 31% for the physics department in the first one and 36% in the second

I noticed only 19% got appeals for physics, normally our school does well in appeals

Reply 593
I was wondering if I could get somebody's opinion about my chance of getting an appeal? I've been told my quite a few people that as of late it has been getting harder and harder in recent years to get an appeal. I don't know whether or not that's true? I managed to get five As in my prelims. I'm quite concerned for the maths exam in particular as I think uder the pressure and stress of it all I might end up with a B... I just have a horrible gut feeling I haven't done enough to get an A. In my prelim this year, I managed to get 85%. Our school's prelims are nutorious for being really difficult and very hard to get an A in. Would that be a good enough percentage in a prelim to appeal for an A if the marker (or whoever it is that check appeals!) is satisfied with the difficulty of the paper? :/ I'm properly terrified for the 7th of August!! :frown: Thanks guys.
Original post by kirstyhr
I was wondering if I could get somebody's opinion about my chance of getting an appeal? I've been told my quite a few people that as of late it has been getting harder and harder in recent years to get an appeal. I don't know whether or not that's true? I managed to get five As in my prelims. I'm quite concerned for the maths exam in particular as I think uder the pressure and stress of it all I might end up with a B... I just have a horrible gut feeling I haven't done enough to get an A. In my prelim this year, I managed to get 85%. Our school's prelims are nutorious for being really difficult and very hard to get an A in. Would that be a good enough percentage in a prelim to appeal for an A if the marker (or whoever it is that check appeals!) is satisfied with the difficulty of the paper? :/ I'm properly terrified for the 7th of August!! :frown: Thanks guys.

85% is certainly a very strong appeal, but there is just not an exact formula for whether the SQA will give you it or not if you don't get an A in the final, it's so tempremental.
Reply 595
Original post by S119234
85% is certainly a very strong appeal, but there is just not an exact formula for whether the SQA will give you it or not if you don't get an A in the final, it's so tempremental.

Ok thanks. Tell me about it. It's ridiculous how stressed I am about this maths exam. :frown:
Reply 596
The thing that's bothering me is that for my conditional, I need an A in Higher Maths. Now, after that exam (I'm sure you've all heard about how difficult it was, so I won't go into detail) I think that if I've gotten an A, it'll be pretty close.

In my prelims, I got 85% and 90% (90% for unit 3 part). But if I don't get an A (touch wood), will the university reject me instantly on results day? Or will they wait and see if I get an appeal?
Reply 597
In psychology, throughout the entire year I've consistently got A's. In 3 of my NABs I got 20/20, and in my prelim I got 97%. However, today was my final exam and I totally cocked up and wrote about the wrong approach for my question on atypical behaviour, and I have now lost 20 marks, taking me down from what I think was an A to a C. As you can imagine I'm distraught. My psychology teacher says you can't get an appeal in psychology up to an A, but surely the evidence is there? Does anyone know?
Reply 598
Original post by Alt__x
In psychology, throughout the entire year I've consistently got A's. In 3 of my NABs I got 20/20, and in my prelim I got 97%. However, today was my final exam and I totally cocked up and wrote about the wrong approach for my question on atypical behaviour, and I have now lost 20 marks, taking me down from what I think was an A to a C. As you can imagine I'm distraught. My psychology teacher says you can't get an appeal in psychology up to an A, but surely the evidence is there? Does anyone know?

It depends on a lot of things really. I was in the same kind of boat when I done AH Product Design, got full marks pretty much in all my work, an A1 in my prelim and then ended up with a C in the Exam. When my appeal came back I only ended up with a B. I can vaguely remember one of my teachers telling me that the SQA tend not to bump you up by two grades (unless you have some sort of mitigating circumstance). On another note, NABs only prove that you can work to the minimum competence required in the exam (i.e. they are basically grade C pieces of work) so they don't prove that you can work at grade A level.
Reply 599
Original post by S119234

Appeals depend on several things:

1) The standard of the paper set by the centre ie is it valid/
2) Standard of marking ie lenient, severe, inconsistent

Your original exam paper is always reviewed if you appeal.

Latest

Trending

Trending