The Student Room Group

Edexcel Economics Unit 4: 20th June 2012

Hi,

So the exam is around the corner in just over 4 weeks. How is everyone preparing for this exam?

Obviously doing every past question you can get your hands on is a good method.

In addition, how are you learning the content? Mind maps, flash cards, notes?

I'd be interested to hear.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ALSO,

Does anyone have any examples of the 20 & 30 mark essays for the past papers? I really do not know how they are supposed to be structured... The mark schemes don't really help either.

Thanks
Reply 2
Re-writing notes & then past papersss :smile:
Maybe note cards for definitions & graphs

& try looking at examiner's reports? they're quite helpful :tongue:
Reply 3
20 Mark questions--

3 analysis points at 4 marks each = 12 marks
2 evaluation points at 4 marks each = 8 marks

30 Mark questions -

4 analysis= 16 marks
3 evaluation = 12 marks
the last 2 marks you could get by adding a conclusion or another small point
Reply 4
By the way i have got a very strong feeling about section A. I think these topics are most likely to come up:
-Globalisation
-Balance Of Payments
-Exchange Rates
-Possibly the cutting of the 50p tax rate if we are lucky
Reply 5
oh godd I'm dreading this exam. So much to learn and so little time!

i'm basically re-writing all my notes but that's still going to take me ages. not to mention learning it all and doing some practise questions.

just out of interest, does anyone happen to have a list of possible questions/bullet point plans for the 20 and 30 mark questions? my teacher said that there was only a limited number of topics that can actually come up in this bit and I thought if i learnt basic plans for some questions then hopefully that's half the paper sorted! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by whatever_x
Re-writing notes & then past papersss :smile:
Maybe note cards for definitions & graphs

& try looking at examiner's reports? they're quite helpful :tongue:

Original post by PPF
20 Mark questions--

3 analysis points at 4 marks each = 12 marks
2 evaluation points at 4 marks each = 8 marks

30 Mark questions -

4 analysis= 16 marks
3 evaluation = 12 marks
the last 2 marks you could get by adding a conclusion or another small point

Original post by JosieG
oh godd I'm dreading this exam. So much to learn and so little time!

i'm basically re-writing all my notes but that's still going to take me ages. not to mention learning it all and doing some practise questions.

just out of interest, does anyone happen to have a list of possible questions/bullet point plans for the 20 and 30 mark questions? my teacher said that there was only a limited number of topics that can actually come up in this bit and I thought if i learnt basic plans for some questions then hopefully that's half the paper sorted! :smile:

Thanks guys for the tips...

I'm actually panicking so much :'(
Out of interest, what UMS do you need on this exam for your required grade? For some reason I'm struggling with this unit but have done fine with the other 3!!

I want to cry sitting here thinking about it, I have 10 other exams and have only management to schedule in a further 5 full days of revision for this unit.
Reply 7
Original post by Sophie1805

Out of interest, what UMS do you need on this exam for your required grade? For some reason I'm struggling with this unit but have done fine with the other 3!!

I want to cry sitting here thinking about it, I have 10 other exams and have only management to schedule in a further 5 full days of revision for this unit.

I need 91/120 to get an A, which is like a mid B, but I'm rubbish at the long questions so it's a bit touch and go! You?

TEN exams?? how is that even possible, how many A levels do you do??
Reply 8
Original post by JosieG
I need 91/120 to get an A, which is like a mid B, but I'm rubbish at the long questions so it's a bit touch and go! You?

TEN exams?? how is that even possible, how many A levels do you do??

I'm exactly the same as you, I need 89/120 so basically the same. I'm dreading this!!!

I do 4 A-levels, and I'm re-taking a few modules for maths; and stupidly Unit 3 eco to go for an A* (Big mistake, I don't even think I'll get an A at this rate...)

Have you done many practice essays? I'm really struggling with a June 11 past paper, I just don't feel like I know enough!!
Reply 9

I knoww, I'm soo stressed out :frown:!
I need 85 (considering I bring up my other 2 resits)
I wish I hadn't messed up unit 3 now, I could've gotten an A but switched question so didn't have enough time to finish :/

Ahh I've got 10 exams, so I know how you feeeel
Just gotta hope for the best I suppose :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I knoww, I'm soo stressed out :frown:!
I need 85 (considering I bring up my other 2 resits)
I wish I hadn't messed up unit 3 now, I could've gotten an A but switched question so didn't have enough time to finish :/

Ahh I've got 10 exams, so I know how you feeeel
Just gotta hope for the best I suppose :s-smilie:

Ah that's actually so annoying. I ran out of time on Unit 1... Got 100% right up until the last 14 marker! I'm such an idiot at times!

How are you managing the revision for the 10? I don't feel confident for even one of them!! Major panic going on, the added pressure for uni offers is just getting to much!!
Reply 11
How many marks would you give this?
Pretty sure this exam will determine whether or not I get into university this year. Come at me A2 Unit 4 Econ!:afraid:
Reply 13
Original post by PPF

I'll give it a read later and let you know what I think (for what it's worth).

Original post by Tsunami2011
Pretty sure this exam will determine whether or not I get into university this year. Come at me A2 Unit 4 Econ!:afraid:

This is meant to be one of the less stressful ones for me... Eurgh. :unsure:
I have a feeling that the eurozone crisis will feature either in Section A or B.. I hope its B as then atleast we will have something extra info as even after looking at the crisis unfold I dont think I would be able to write like a 30 marker for it:/
Reply 15
Original post by PPF

Does you have any model answers for unit 4 (other than the examiners reports)?
Reply 16
Ah that's actually so annoying. I ran out of time on Unit 1... Got 100% right up until the last 14 marker! I'm such an idiot at times!

How are you managing the revision for the 10? I don't feel confident for even one of them!! Major panic going on, the added pressure for uni offers is just getting to much!!

Oh gosh sameee! Except I missed out the 20 marker :|
They honestly don't give us enough time.

Ahh I know, I have nooo idea LOL. Right now I'm focusing on the 4 exams I have this week and next week and then next week I'll start proper revision for Unit 3 & 4 econ and all my other exams. I realllyyyy wanna get into uni, don't want to take a gap year or go through clearing :frown:
Reply 17
Oh gosh sameee! Except I missed out the 20 marker :|
They honestly don't give us enough time.

Ahh I know, I have nooo idea LOL. Right now I'm focusing on the 4 exams I have this week and next week and then next week I'll start proper revision for Unit 3 & 4 econ and all my other exams. I realllyyyy wanna get into uni, don't want to take a gap year or go through clearing :frown:

Yeah I feel the time constraint BIG time. However, have you seen what the old GCE was like with Edexcel? Previous to the 2008 change? They had 6 units and the time constraint was horrendous! It makes me feel better about it... :laugh:

Yeah I'm basically doing the same as you, I'm revising for the ones coming up, and then relying on half term to cram for the other 6... Maybe not the best idea, but I really have no choice - I guess.

What are your requirements for university? How likely are you to meeting them? Personally, I feel I could easily get 4B's, but getting two of them up to A's is killing me!! Kind of regretting choosing the offers I did.
Reply 18
Tbh, i thought time allowance was quite bad too but come to think of it 25 mins for the 20 marker and 35 for the 30 marker which i find easier than the 20 markers and section B is 50 marks in 60 mins. It will be tight but they factor that into grade boundaries thats why you only need around 75-77% raw marks for an A*
The Euro crisis will 100% be in the paper, probably in the comprehension.

Quick Reply