The Student Room Group

Wearing a bra to bed - bad for you?

Scroll to see replies

I'm a size 34D never wear my bra to bed. Infact, I usually take it off as soon as i'm in the house and not planning to go anyway. Sometimes I go out without one if i'm wearing a hoody or something so it's not that noticeable. I just feel much more comfy and free without one. Don't know if it's the reason but my boobs are really perky/in great shape
(edited 11 years ago)
There are no words for the feeling of taking your bra off after a long day especially if you have a heavy chest. Personally I could probably use mine as an offensive weapon if the need arose. I'm a 34H/36G so can't exactly go braless in the day, they need all the support they can get. I was forced to wear a bra all the time when I had a sternum piercing and I hated it. So, no, I don't wear a bra to bed. If I'm not leaving the house I won't wear one at all - but I will wear thicker clothing if I'm around any family. If I'm staying at a friends house I will leave my bra on unless I'm staying in a separate room.
Any health problem caused my bras are a myth, I am 36 G and am really uncomfortable without a bra on, I wear mine to bed.
I've been told that your boobs need time to "breathe" so it's best not to wear them whilst you sleep. I find wearing a bra at home really uncomfortable so I just wear baggy tops. :smile:
bad for me.
Original post by shy-girl666
i tend not to sleep in my bra cause it's uncomfortable but i do wear it when im sleeping over a friends place cause other wise my boobies tend to have a free for all and get every where lol aka not a pretty sight in the mornings lol

but i very much doubt that is cause cancer...... but nowaday every bloody thing (apparently) cause the big c! x

:mmm:

I used to wear underwired bras everynight until I slept at a friend's house and she thought I was weird.

At first sleeping without a bra was uncomfortable with them not being 'contained' but now I prefer the freedom.
Original post by I<3LAMP

I used to wear underwired bras everynight until I slept at a friend's house and she thought I was weird.

At first sleeping without a bra was uncomfortable with them not being 'contained' but now I prefer the freedom.

i have to wear one when i over a friends house but at home and at my bf they get freedommmm! lol x
Reply 67
I don't wear a bra to bed usually, but if I'm staying at a friend's house then I do. :smile:
If you insist on wearing a bra to bed then a soft sports bra is certainly better.

However, I'm a 34E and I cope just fine with no bra. Your breasts don't *need* a bra. They are actually meant to move around. I can totally understand wearing a bra during the day- I wear one during the day too, but not at night.

They don't *need* that support, they have tendons and ligaments that are there to support your breasts. The less you use your breast ligaments the weaker they become... so yes, if you wear a bra too often your breasts will sag faster.

EDIT: Also, there IS proof that wearing a bra too much causes swelling of the lymph-nodes in the breasts and causes build ups of oestrogen... these cause swellings and small cysts and the cysts *can* cause cancer... so yes, wearing a bra too much can, inadvertently, cause cancer.

If we actually *needed* a bra, we'd be born wearing one. Remember in the Victorian era when we women were told we were too delicate to sit up without a corset... so we wore corsets all the time and in the end we couldn't sit up with out a corset?
Same thing with bras.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
i think you can buy night bras, that might be better for you :smile:
Reply 70
If your worried about boobs sagging because of pec muscles. Powerlifting regime is for you

Pyramid
Bench press
10 reps rax weight

pec deck x 10 x 3

flys a 3 sets of 10 , 8 , 6

dubell pullovers 10, 8 , 6

Sagging?

U MIRIN?
I can't find the study but I had it on my computer about the significant correlation between the two. I believe it was something to do with the lymph-nodes in the breasts being constricted at all times. Since lymph-nodes play a function in transporting fluids and hormones into the blood stream, an inadequate blood supply and drainage system over a sustained period of time increases the chances of cancer.

It was only truly significant in women who wore bras almost constantly over very long periods of time (years). I'm sure in moderation its no big deal.

That is just what I remember, I think there are probably more significant factors at play when it comes to hormones, genetics and diet.

I would say if you feel that you need extra support during sleep you should instead wear a vest that gives light support. Its no where near as constricting and uncomfortable as a bra and probably much healthier for you breasts in terms of blood supply and lymph drainage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by InspectorSophie
I can't find the study but I had it on my computer about the significant correlation between the two. I believe it was something to do with the lymph-nodes in the breasts being constricted at all times. Since lymph-nodes play a function in transporting fluids and hormones into the blood stream, an inadequate blood supply and drainage system over a sustained period of time increases the chances of cancer.

That is just what I remember, I think there are probably more significant factors at play when it comes to hormones, genetics and diet.

There are way bigger factors than just wearig your bra to bed :tongue:

If you want to wear it. Go for it! The cancer risk is somewhat negligible, if you're not wearing every night.

If you do find the study, please post it up I'm interested now lol :holmes:
Reply 73
how does the bra know you're asleep...
Personally, the only time I wear a bra to bed is when I'm sleeping over at a friend's house, and that's because I never get dressed before breakfast when I don't have to go to school, and I just feel weird and slightly naked wondering around someone else's house without a bra on :P

This stuff about it causing cancer sounds like bull to me though.
According to the Daily Mail everything and its uncle cause cancer.

I have been wearing a bra to bed every since I started wearing one when I was about 10 or 11. I feel uncomfortable without it on.

I would argue that maybe it prevents growth though, though theres no scientific proof, thats just my theory, and I want to blame something other than genetics!
Reply 76
Original post by ForeverFitzwilliam
According to the Daily Mail

This explained it all for me :h:
Reply 77
Shall I stip wearing a bra to bed as I always wear 1
I prefer not. I dont a bra to bed, I dont wear it at home all day actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest