The Student Room Group

HCL bond angle

why does HCL not have a bond angle is it the idea of electronegativity and permanent dipoles
Reply 1
Original post by otrivine
why does HCL not have a bond angle is it the idea of electronegativity and permanent dipoles

Because an angle requires three points (like a triangle), and H-Cl is only two.
Reply 2
GOt it thanks
Reply 3
I thought you could have two points, like a linear shape? 180 degrees? the cl has three lone pairs though?
Reply 4
Original post by neeloo
I thought you could have two points, like a linear shape? 180 degrees? the cl has three lone pairs though?

Think about maths, if I asked you to draw a 30 degree angle you would have three points?
If they asked you a shape it's going to have at least three points for linear (eg CO2), if anything HCl is linear, yes. The lone pairs on chlorine make no difference as there is only one bond on it.
Reply 5
Original post by clownfish
Think about maths, if I asked you to draw a 30 degree angle you would have three points?
If they asked you a shape it's going to have at least three points for linear (eg CO2), if anything HCl is linear, yes. The lone pairs on chlorine make no difference as there is only one bond on it.

ok, but you can have a bond angle in molecules which only have two points eg H2, so Hcl is no differnt right?

HCl is composed of only 2 atoms, 1 atom of hydrogen and 1 atom of chlorine covalently bonded.
HCl is, therefore, diatomic.
All diatomic molecules are linear in shape.H-Cl is linear in shape but, how can it not have a bond angle?? I do get what you mean, take HCN, it is also linear and consists an 180 degree bond angle,half of the bond (at point 2) would be 90 degrees.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by neeloo
ok, but you can have a bond angle in molecules which only have two points eg H2, so Hcl is no differnt right?

HCl is composed of only 2 atoms, 1 atom of hydrogen and 1 atom of chlorine covalently bonded.
All diatomic molecules are linear in shape. H-Cl is linear in shape and hence will have a bond agle of 180 degrees, how can it not have e bond angle??

No, you can't have a bond angle between 2 points in the same way as you cannot have any angle using only two points. HCl is linear only in the sense that the only possible way to directly connect two points is via a straight line - there are no angles involved.

By your argument a noble gas atom would have a bond angle of 360º.
Reply 7
Original post by neeloo

All diatomic molecules are linear in shape. H-Cl is linear in shape and hence will have a bond agle of 180 degrees, how can it not have e bond angle??

If you want to see a diatomic molecule as linear then that's your choice. It's certainly not anything else I agree.
Reply 8
Original post by charco
No, you can't have a bond angle between 2 points in the same way as you cannot have any angle using only two points. HCl is linear only in the sense that the only possible way to directly connect two points is via a straight line - there are no angles involved.

By your argument a noble gas atom would have a bond angle of 360º.

Oh right yeah I understand now, Your totaly right, sorry I always get myself confused! :biggrin: apolagies for the moment of madness, and thanks for clearing that up.
Reply 9
Original post by clownfish
If you want to see a diatomic molecule as linear then that's your choice. It's certainly not anything else I agree.

I get it now, thanks for the information and sorry about the confusion. :biggrin:
why does HCL not have a bond angle is it the idea of electronegativity and permanent

it does have a bond angle, it is the linear bond angle of 180 (the angle of a straight line) you need three points to make a shape even a line (one point) has an angle.
Original post by Heywellyeah
it does have a bond angle, it is the linear bond angle of 180 (the angle of a straight line) you need three points to make a shape even a line (one point) has an angle.

2020 prize for pointless resurrection of a terminated thread ...

it has a bond angle of 180 because its linear

Quick Reply

Latest